Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

What names do you usually use for your ships in games?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 3, 2012, 3:40:15 AM
I use names that sound mean and various ship names from history. My top 5 are usually: Warspite, Kraken, Indomitable, Excelsior, Akagi, Yamamoto, Hiryu, etc.

Only for large ships though.. I name my smaller classes in-game with a general term. For instance, my main corvette I titled "Demon". I keep the variant number so I know it's up to date. "Demon 4" etc.

For whatever reason, ordering "Hopelessly Outgunned Small Ship" to attack "Pirate Deathmachine" just doesn't seem fair to my pilots.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 3:24:15 PM
I tend to either use names from mythology ("Leviathan", "Kraken", etc.) or from other Sci-Fi sources (e.g. Mass Effect series => "Sovereign", "Harbinger", or just a plain "Reaper").

I apparently have a tendency to create war fleets that not only intimidate through sheer size, but also by name. ^_^
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 3:44:35 PM
I use melee weapon names, think Sabres, Lochabers, Mauls, Danaxes,...

The more advanced, the more exotic a weapon I use, genre Tabar-zin and Shamshir
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 3:48:22 PM
My ships have the names of german north sea islands and north german citys, like the german marine names their ships as well. smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 3:53:13 PM
Tend to use a mix of names from various sources like Sentinel, Swarm, Vanguard, Reaver, Edessa, Predator, Helios, Longsword and Daedalus.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 4:31:16 PM
It is usually dependent on the role that they are going to play. For ships with particular loadouts, it would be...

"Lightbringer" = Lasers

"Morningstar" = Plasma

"Prometheus" = Mass Drivers

"Helios" = Missiles/Torpedoes

"Aegis" = Armor & Shields

"Dullahan" = Carriers+Fighters, or remote drones

"Lavos" = Deathstar/Worldkiller

"Scarab" = Repair & Supply
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 4:53:06 PM
I'm very lazy - mine are normally simple letter/number combos to define (or remind me) what they were constructed to do.

Wont go into details because it would give too much away (and be rather dull) but for example:-

ZC-01, ZC-02 or ZS-MEN01a, ZS-TAR03b etc. (Coloniser and Scouts )

The naming gets more complicated depending on the size of my empire. However they all mean something to me but (I hope aside from the maybe obvious examples above) not to anyone else.

I try not to get romantically attached to either my territory, machinery or my peoples - They only exist to assist their God in his domination of the whole galaxy afterall and to provide him with entertainment. *evil grin.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 5:50:40 PM
I usually go with famous battles, or famous people. But with the limited numbers of letters in ES, I found it difficult to name ships as I usually would.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 6:48:05 PM
I name my missile ships after bows. Shortbow, Longbow and Crossbow

For planetary assault ships: Trooper and Marine

I haven't decided on fast attack vehicles yet, but I'm thinking maybe cats: Cheetah, Tiger, Lion
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 7:13:28 PM
It depend on the type of ship I use. Colony ships are only Colony 1 ... 2 and so on. Destroyers or smale scale ships only get a class name. Only the large scale ships get names and then I don´t have any real favorites.... it ranges from old german battlehip names or star destroyer names or english navy names ..... or,or,or smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 7:16:41 PM
@maceman -- I name all the crappy T1 ships that I "should have retired a long time ago but still send into totally unfair battles as cannon fodder" after my ex girlfriends :P

But I guess for the most part I tend to use the names of animals. Falcon, Shark, Wasp, etc

::edit -- expanded::
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 8:10:54 PM
I don't have set names, I just go with what seems appropriate at the time. So far in ES I've used

Interdictor, Wraith, Lord, Eisenhorn, Gunboat(lolcannonfodder) Titan, Malidictus, Abnett. Ruster(morefodder!) Eclipse, Shield, Atlas, Tower, and many others that don't come to mind right now.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 8:54:42 PM
Are we talking just ES or in general?

In ES I've decided to go with a mixed convention, the largest ships are either named Sovereign, Harbinger and Normandy (Mass Effect reference, obviously) or Yamato, Musashi and Shinano (WWII Japanese battleships and a battleship converted to carrier).

With smaller ships I went with Federation names (Defiant, Enterprise, Excelsior, etc.)

Colony ships are always named Prometheus in nearly every type of game that has them. After Mass Effect 2 came out, I started calling all my scout/ligthest ships Qwib Qwib.

As for other games (both futuristic and contemporary), I usually name my carriers after US WWII carriers (Enterprise, Yorktown, Midway, etc.), capital ships are a mix of US battleships (Iowa, Missouri, Alabama, Oklahoma, ect.) and British battleships and battlecruisers of the post-dreadnought era (Hood, Prince of Wales, Repulse, Warspite, King George V, Inflexible, Indefatigable, Invincible...and so on). Lighter ships are named at random, based on whatever I feel like, mostly drawing on British ship names, simply because they had so many good ones with incredible histories.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 9:09:25 PM
mackintosh wrote:
After Mass Effect 2 came out, I started calling all my scout/ligthest ships Qwib Qwib.

Haha, love it smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment