Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

What names do you usually use for your ships in games?

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 10:27:51 PM
Axe, Sword, Saber, Dauntless, Destructor, Vindicator, Obliterator, Predator etc etc
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 10:50:11 PM
Hi !

I tend to name my admiral ship the Normandy in reference to the Mass Effect series. As for individual ships, I use names such as irregular appocalypse, Clear Air Disturbence, So Much For Subtlety (dreadnaughts, usually), Cargo Cult (traders), Size Isn't Everything (frigates), No More Mister Nice Guy and, of course, the What Are The Civilian Applications ?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 11:04:26 PM
Well I think I'll make up names on the spot and it will be names like Terranicus or such things.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 11:12:48 PM
i name mine after my pets since there evil they peck a lot there lovebirds. (whoever had the bright idea to name their species lovebirds was horribly wrong)

also greek gods or ships in the "culture" series sometimes they really do have some funny ship names.

also non euclidian terms and name of equations such as laplace's demon.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 11:13:51 PM
Is there any plans for a random name generator or a list of names for ship designs/ naming ships? I spend a lot of time sitting and thinking of names...
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 11:24:27 PM
Since I've become a Craver, I tend to stick to the flying insect names. DD Fly, DD Mesquito, DD Hornet, DD Cicada (Colonizer).

Bug Crusher, when fighting the Cravers

You stay away from me Gordon! smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 11:32:56 PM
victorcahat wrote:
Hi !

I tend to name my admiral ship the Normandy in reference to the Mass Effect series.

Yes, yes. Very good sir, very good.

I name my other ships after Greek and Roman words, and maybe after some historic battles and famous cities. I sometimes drop a Star Wars, Star Trek, or Battlestar Galactica reference in there too.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 11:34:23 PM
victorcahat wrote:
Hi !

I tend to name my admiral ship the Normandy in reference to the Mass Effect series. As for individual ships, I use names such as irregular appocalypse, Clear Air Disturbence, So Much For Subtlety (dreadnaughts, usually), Cargo Cult (traders), Size Isn't Everything (frigates), No More Mister Nice Guy and, of course, the What Are The Civilian Applications ?

All that's missing is having your hero named John Shepard then.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 11:45:47 PM
Either military/war related Latin words or the names of ships from the X3 universe. Pretty standard really.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 1:02:13 AM
I prefer mythical or legendary bird names from Indonesia, especially naming ship design over Hissho faction because they fit well

for example: Garuda, Rajawali, Antasena, Antareja, Jatayu
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 1:10:42 AM
I enjoy naming my ships based on various mythologies that interest me, though Babylonian has been popping up often as of late. If I can, I'll assign the name of a mythological figure according to the strengths of the ship I'm naming. For instance, a fast, lightly armored ship that utilizes devastating weapons might be designated Marduk.

It's not always the most accurate system, but it tickles me nonetheless.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 1:14:28 AM
For me bigest and most powerful ship is always Balance of Judgement or Wrath of Achilles,then Andromeda (from TV series),Zalbinian for Aircraft carrier etc...
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 1:19:33 AM
Being Russian I like a lot of Russian names, like Koshka, Lisitsa, Grozny, Pravda, Slava, Soyuz, Mishka, Akula, Kasatka, etc.

But I always name my flagships Felicity or Felicitas, and sometimes enjoy using other Latin words as well.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 2:15:44 AM
Mine are usually Defender, Bombardier, Vigilance, and Sight for models. The individual names vary, I like the Defiance, Dolara, Rivington, Mercy, Celestia, Havestor, and Unity.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 1:27:13 PM
United Empire: great battles (dreadnoughts - "Stalingrad", battleships - "Verdun" etc.)

Hissho: melee weaponry ("greatsword", "spear", "mace" etc.)

Cravers: their hull class' names are enough ("Predator", "Forager" and such)

Sophon: subatomic particles ("quark", "meson", "baryon")

Horatio: "Horatio", "Horation", "Horatia", "Horatis", "Horatium" and so on...
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 1:40:15 PM
I usually go with names from mythologies or historical persons when playing UE. Though when I play an alien race I make up names that fit the context of the race.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 1:54:49 PM
Wow you guys are a lot more creative than I am smiley: smile

I use pets names lately, just to see if the renaming worked.

I usually go with something that tells me what the ship is or what it does.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 2:05:14 PM
I like how you think. Might be bias from attaching to the Sophon but I can see them going anywhere in the strong empirical sciences.

The particles could be pretty fruitful because of the colorful naming for quarks, though the literal color charge of standard model particles makes nice too.

The Horatio was the best, ha

I was going by the Mk system until recently, then starting using animals, mostly birds; Badger, Raven, Magpie,Lark,Hawk,Wolf...despite playing the Sophon
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment