Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

What names do you usually use for your ships in games?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 10, 2012, 5:33:59 PM
Warhammer 40k inspired. Example The Litany of Hatred would be my capital ship. Light of the Emperor, Oath of Silence (Stealth Ship), Sanguinus's Rage, and Zealous Hunter. Though sometimes I'll branch out into generally cool sounding names. Or even funny ones. Horizon Runner, Eclipse Phase, Event Horizon, and Stormcrow. Joke names, too many I can't say here, The DOOP, BFG, The Birdman, and Fat Slow Ugly Thing. Every game has its fat slow ugly thing that works, at least in space games. So that ship is now remembered eternally.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 9:37:56 AM
When I'm in a somewhat serious mood:

The only thing that typically has a set name are the dreadnaughts and battleships for the most part

Big ol' missles get called Thunder-Class. Laser-equipped things I call Lightning-Class.

When I'm not in a serious mood, I play as the Cravers and do my best to imitate da orkz from WH40K...

Transport:Pub Crawl

Scouts: Runna Boyz

Corvette (Defender role): Git Stompa (Who'd be dumb enough to attack an 'ork?')

Destroyer: Killa Kan

Cruiser (Invasion Role): Canna Squigs

Battleship:Flashgit

Dreadnaught:Waaaagh!ship.

smiley: redface
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 11:09:35 AM
Perhaps some game references that are unique in one way, but easy to remember
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 12, 2012, 1:53:42 AM
depends on the race....Sowers get mk1-, mk2.......UE gets naval designations dd,cl,bb,dn....hissho I am using romulan...raptor,bird of prey, battlehawk....I kinda like the cravers as is.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 16, 2012, 7:31:40 AM
Simply the name of the class.. CST for corvet, DST for destroyer... so carthesian smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 17, 2012, 7:10:03 AM
Hissho:

Corvette: Warrior

Defensive Corvette: Soldier

Destroyer: Gladiator

Cruiser: Legionnaire

Invasion Cruiser: Trebuchet

Battleship: Ballista

Dreadnought: Champion

Pilgrims:

Corvette: Paladin

Destroyer: Justicar

Cruiser: Arbitrator

Battleship: Inquisitor

Dreadnought: (haven't built one yet, no name)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 17, 2012, 2:38:02 PM
Playing United Empire I always use names of Warhammer 40.000 Primarchs for the ships:

* Destroyer - "Sanguinius"

* Cruiser - "Rogal Dorn"

* Battleship - "Ferrus Manus"

* Dreadnoght - "Corax"
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 17, 2012, 6:23:10 PM
Mythical Creatures like the Chimera, El Chupacabra, Cerberus, Dragon, Cyclops, and Draugr.

That and Star Wars classes like X,Y,A,B,K wings, Hapan Battle Dragons, and Nova.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 17, 2012, 11:12:39 PM
Animals smiley: smile for example when playing Amobea race i tend to name my ships like "Dolphin", "Whale", "Shark"
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 18, 2012, 3:43:29 AM
I usually go for a race or custom race that has the, "Gain research for every enemy fleet destroyed" bonus.

So, I like to name my attack fleets based on their fuction. If they have lots of guns, then they are a Research fleet. I have my Science fleet, Engineering fleet, etc etc. Anything else, I usually just call it as I see it. I figure the point of Invasion fleets is to hand out ice cream, so that's the Candy Fleet. Just go with whatever seems to make sense at the time and will make the other people question my sanity.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 2:36:04 AM
Really depends on the race I'm playing. Sower ships I just assign numbers but for Hissho I tend to take Aztec/Egyptian sounding names as that seems to fit their flavor. My Hissho flagship fleet with admiral is usually called "Mictlan", "Coatl" or "Horus" and the like.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 8:04:49 PM
I'd normally give each individual ship a 'name' if I had that option, but in ES so far I can only name a class/type of ship. So I tend to keep it simple so I remember what I need to build and it's role. (Colony, Defender, Attacker, Cruiser, BFG [Doomanyone], and Dread-not.)

But I'd rather be having individual ship names for ones that are say the flagship, or a veteren of many battles at least. Can ES ever accomplish this? Like 'famous ships of the fleet.'
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 10:06:39 PM
Usually i name them with the class they belong or depending on the weapon i equip them, too bad you cant name ships but in the other hand since you dont manually move them i found no reason for names.

And i just remembered a way i used to exploit Moo in order to give names to ships smiley: cool i believe the Moo vets would know that
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 20, 2012, 6:51:35 AM
I take on a more pragmatic albeit boring naming convention. Small Lasers, Big Lasers, Medium Missiles, Invader, Colonizer, Balanced Support, Small Balanced Support, Missile Turtle, etc. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 7:33:14 PM
I usually try to establish a theme throughout a game..

Ex: Roman.. earlier ships will have names related to lesser or earlier things within the Roman sphere.

(1st ship classes) Rubicon

Julian

Augustus

Tiberius

etc.

Battles:

Waterloo

Gettysburg

Somme

Normandy

Inchon

Geography : Nile

Amazon

Mississippi

Seine

Famous ships with cool names:

Invincible

Indefatigable

Courageous

Yamato
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 9:05:59 PM
Cepheid wrote:
Pretty much after authors, especially sci-fi authors.

Verne, Clarke, Wells, Huxley, Asmiov, Scott Card, Heinlein, Bradbury...

I usually name them after their purpose such as scout, defender, destroyer etc and my fleets again based on purpose such as Home Fleet, Scout Fleet, Fast Fleet etc but I do like the idea of naming them after scifi authors so I might change to that.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 10:26:06 AM
In ES the limited character count restricts my naming options considerably so I tended to fall back to the standard NATO naval designations followed by a descriptive role, e.g., DD Strike, FF Eng, BB Strike, CC Invade, CA CnC, etc.

In games where I am allowed to enter more characters (like in DW) I prefer to give my special ships more characterful (pun intended) names, e.g., Painful Irony, The Lunch Run, Lowest Form Of Wit, The Perfect Approach, Cherenkov’s Labcoat, Not My Problem, Milestone Plan, One Time Offer, Burning Love Letter, etc.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 26, 2012, 3:51:51 PM
Lately, I have taken to naming my ships after utterances produced by my cats. This has produced the terrifying Mrrowr-class Battleship.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 28, 2012, 1:33:13 PM
It might be a bit freaky but I name my ships after the shipclass in Star Trek f.e.

Prometheus , Defiant, Intrepid, Galaxy... and so on.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 1, 2012, 9:59:57 AM
I name mine after Cavalry-troops.

I.e. Cuirassier, Lancer, Dragoon, Hussar, Knight, Paladin, Ulan etc.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment