Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Who is looking forward to UFO:Enemy Unknown in October?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Oct 14, 2012, 7:28:42 PM
BlueTemplar wrote:
I wonder if the original X-COM has been ported to Android like HoMM2 and Tyrian?

It runs in DOSBOX if that helps answer your question. smiley: alder
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 27, 2012, 11:10:12 AM
I wasn't overly impressed by the demo and it hasn't changed my view of holding off buying games until they are actually released.

This game is a bit of an unknown at the moment for me. I agree with everything that has been said about the demo - too scripted, too much FMV, not showing any base stuff, combat simplified but more action orientated, lack of suspense, lack of soldier equipment, abilities, etc. Comments like a game lasting 15-20 hours average play dont help either as I played the original for ages it seemed and never finished it.

However I do think the tun based play of the old game was too slow and certainly I didn't play TOTD much at all after playing the first game quite a bit. Even though it was very creepy that didnt make up for the slowness of the play whcih in the end turned me off the game. So maybe they have got it right by speeding it all up. I really liked the way you can alter your soldiers and rename them. And the rest of the UFO style gameplay seems to be all in there but its difficult to see for certain. Certainly comments out of press-only playing sessions say its a very good addictive game.

I certainly think it looks a lot better than all the various other incarnations that have appeared over the last few years. The only other UFO style game I actually liked was UFO Extraterrestrials and that one keeps crashing on me unfortunately.

There is also Xenonauts to fall back on possibly if this one doesn't work out. Although Xenonauts looks even slower than the original game and arguably looks worse!

So I will probably get the game once it has been released and I hear some good comments from the forums.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 27, 2012, 11:29:00 AM
I tried to play the original game and did rage quit frustrated by the difficulty of it. D:
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 27, 2012, 11:47:26 AM
Madrox wrote:
I tried to play the original game and did rage quit frustrated by the difficulty of it. D:

The original game has a very steep learning curve - the best way to get into it, is definitely to watch someone experienced play it on youtube.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 27, 2012, 1:00:33 PM
Mansen wrote:
The original game has a very steep learning curve - the best way to get into it, is definitely to watch someone experienced play it on youtube.

It at least get some fun when i actually learn how to play it?

xD
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 27, 2012, 3:51:17 PM
Madrox wrote:
It at least get some fun when i actually learn how to play it?

xD

I had great fun playing it - but I wouldn't recommend it with the Firaxis game demo out. They are very different games even if they are the same. You'd have to be able to look past the bugs and design flaws to enjoy it fully.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 27, 2012, 3:58:10 PM
Mansen wrote:
I had great fun playing it - but I wouldn't recommend it with the Firaxis game demo out. They are very different games even if they are the same. You'd have to be able to look past the bugs and design flaws to enjoy it fully.

I will try playing the old one.

This ned demo will have to wait a full stable release(and hope to not be a Sword of the Stars 2 kind of buggish release) D:
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 30, 2012, 9:22:21 AM
Just played the demo, its a bit short, and I didnt get to build any base stuff, although it seemed like I could. That worried me at first. Its a bit dumbed down, they really ease you into it like youve never played a turn based game before. Once I turned off all the crappy action cam / third person bullshit for the tactical combat it was quiet enjoyable. Im definitely gonna buy the full game. I was just getting into it when the demo ended.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 14, 2012, 4:06:47 AM
Nasarog wrote:
Any updates from those that bought it?

You can read my replys in this thread. Its a different game, but similar in quality imo. If you want the epic grinding economy you had in the old xcom where you made like 400 heavy lasers a month and shit, you will be disappointed though. Personally I think its changed for the better.

/#/games2gether/forum/1-off-topic/thread/179-legends-of-pegasus-novacore-bankrupt
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 26, 2012, 1:54:28 PM
Demo is out - what do you folks think of the gameplay?

Personally it was that last nudge needed to preorder the game - though not via Steam. Those overpriced sons of sophons. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 15, 2012, 12:05:46 AM
BlueTemplar wrote:
Oh, DOSBOX is available on Android now?

That is up to you to find out - I was merely stating that it works in DOSBOX. smiley: kiss
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 6, 2013, 1:41:41 PM
I bought and played the game. The difficulty factor is definitely there once you want to go harder (and there is a big of a learning curve, since the concept is different - unique), but it is a very fun, rewarding and enjoyable game. It was also well done I might add.

Regards,

Sir Rogers
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment