Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

STAR CITIZEN - The revival of High end pc gaming and Space Sims?

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 18, 2012, 10:00:52 PM
Narktor wrote:
I would pledge 10k if i could spare the money smiley: biggrin

If I had the money, up to 2k here >:
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 20, 2012, 8:39:56 PM
I didnt like Freelancer because it was all 3rd person but I played the first Wing Commander quite a lot and the first Privateer. Problem was the graphics started overtaking the gameplay in the later Wing Commander and Privateer games. I didnt even play Freespace.

If he could somehow get back the action orientated gameplay and open flexible story of those earlier games I might be interested but the problem is in those days you could do it with cartoon graphics and get away with it, these days I am not sure how a small firm could produce a game like that and make it successful. But if anyone can he can. And I would love to see some decent space sims in the PC game market again, they have been gone for too long. Might even encourage Braben to finish his!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 20, 2012, 9:25:53 PM
nats wrote:
I didnt like Freelancer because it was all 3rd person

No it wasn't - You could play it first person inside the cockpit just fine...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 21, 2012, 10:17:35 AM
So they also started their campaign on kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen?ref=card

Since they do not sync numbers, so far, let me summarize this 21.10.-snapshot.

Time to go:

Main Site 21 days

Kickstarter 29 days

Money earned

1.215.850 $ on main site

327.390 $ on kickstarter

1.543.240 $ in total!

Minimum requirement for the game to be programmed: 2 Mio. $

So we already have more than 77% of the first goal.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 21, 2012, 10:23:46 AM
Correction: 1.2mil on main site. X on kickstarter - until it actually reaches the goal, they are not getting anything. smiley: biggrin

(They will reach that undoubtedly though.)

Edit: Minimum for it to be feature finished is 500K - They have a legal obligation to deliver the game to the kickstarter pledgers in itself. This has nothing to do with external funding at all - publicly saying that "we need at least 4 times more than our kickstarter campaign goal to make the game" is straight up fraud. smiley: kiss
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 21, 2012, 11:51:16 AM
At the end of the day Kickstarter is a spurious place to put your money, I am sure all the people who use it realise that. I am also sure there will be a heck of a lot of criminals targeting Kickstarter as a way to get lots of easy money out of the 'suckers' there.

I am not saying this is an example of that but everyone who puts money into Kickstarter must surely realise that they may never see a return on their investment or that return may not be what they were expecting (a game that doesn't work properly etc). A legal contract to provide an énd product means nothing unless you are prepared to go to the effort and expense of enforcing it in a court.

Only recently we have seen a developers stop work on a Kickstarter project because all of his programmers 'left'. He is now saying that it will get done but not for a long time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20003916

Personally I have better things to do with my money than funding spurious enterprises. But I wish the bloke well with his project and if they reach the target, and if after that it is ever properly realised, and if it turns out to be any good, then I will surely look closely at buying it. But that is a lot of 'IFs'.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 21, 2012, 8:33:53 PM
Considering how kickstarter projects usually sport upwards of thousands of people, a class action suit is fairly easy to pull off and organize should it come to that point.

As to the "investment" argument - Why yes, of course it is an investment. But one with a legally binding return - as to the quality of said project (here we are talking video games so that includes missing content or half broken), that is for the courts to decide if it ever becomes an issue. And of course word of mouth spreads like wildfire. Plenty of fake projects have been shut down in hours after the whistle has been blown.

At the end of the day, A kickstarter pledge is in no way different from pre-ordering a game. You don't know what you'll receive in the end before you have it in your hands...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 28, 2012, 4:12:02 PM
Mansen wrote:
Considering how kickstarter projects usually sport upwards of thousands of people, a class action suit is fairly easy to pull off and organize should it come to that point.

As to the "investment" argument - Why yes, of course it is an investment. But one with a legally binding return - as to the quality of said project (here we are talking video games so that includes missing content or half broken), that is for the courts to decide if it ever becomes an issue. And of course word of mouth spreads like wildfire. Plenty of fake projects have been shut down in hours after the whistle has been blown.

At the end of the day, A kickstarter pledge is in no way different from pre-ordering a game. You don't know what you'll receive in the end before you have it in your hands...

Well said! All you can hope, is that the money is enough to make a good game smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 30, 2012, 10:27:24 PM
Oh yes, that is soooo awesome! I liked Wing-Commander when I was a little kid. I loved X-Wing Alliance (yes I know it's not the same creator!) and now I love X³ Terran Conflict (and upcoming games). But I never had the chance to fly in multiplayer with friends by my side into battle.

I pledged, I reported for duty and now am waiting for my "Constellation" to roll out of the bay so I can finally fly into space with friends. I hope I will meet some of you, too there.

And if it is possible...why not making an own (Steam-)Group/Guild/Faction called "The Endless?" in honor to our other beloved game? Would love to fight with you guys!!! smiley: cool
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 30, 2012, 10:31:49 PM
I still can't for the life of my figure out how they expect the game infrastructure to work - DRM, no DRM. Shard servers, centralized servers, MMO styl central database, personal database.

smiley: cry
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 30, 2012, 11:02:37 PM
Mansen wrote:
I still can't for the life of my figure out how they expect the game infrastructure to work - DRM, no DRM. Shard servers, centralized servers, MMO styl central database, personal database.

smiley: cry

Maybe like EVE? smiley: confused
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 31, 2012, 11:56:26 AM
Well right now I they think about first releasing the single/coop-player with Squadron 42 and then adding the mp-components to it with basic severs.

Since they want the consumers to be able to host own mp-servers, I guess it will be like the usuall games (probably steambound). Via the MP you loggon into the "official servers". Perhaps similar to other MP-Games with rated (official) servers and non-rated(private) servers.

At least that is what I expect right now....
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 2, 2012, 9:43:46 AM
Codename_Veers wrote:
Well right now I they think about first releasing the single/coop-player with Squadron 42 and then adding the mp-components to it with basic severs.

Since they want the consumers to be able to host own mp-servers, I guess it will be like the usuall games (probably steambound). Via the MP you loggon into the "official servers". Perhaps similar to other MP-Games with rated (official) servers and non-rated(private) servers.

At least that is what I expect right now....

Or they implement a ingame lobby for hosting the own mp-servers ?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 2, 2012, 10:53:10 AM
Tredecim wrote:
Or they implement a ingame lobby for hosting the own mp-servers ?

Well I hope so! After all I'd like to fly with my buddies without fear to loose my ship forever to Player-Pirates. smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 2, 2012, 11:30:59 AM
Codename_Veers wrote:
Well I hope so! After all I'd like to fly with my buddies without fear to loose my ship forever to Player-Pirates. smiley: wink

Trust no-one! smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 13, 2012, 1:01:46 AM
The final round/week is on. 3,35 Mio $ have already been raised, making Star Citizen the second best crowdfunded game, yet, directly after project eternity (they raised 4 Mio $). Still a week to go and a few new videos to tease.

As Chris Roberts said: Tell your pets, if that is, what it takes! smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 13, 2012, 10:34:22 AM
Nosferatiel wrote:
The final round/week is on. 3,35 Mio $ have already been raised, making Star Citizen the second best crowdfunded game, yet, directly after project eternity (they raised 4 Mio $). Still a week to go and a few new videos to tease.

As Chris Roberts said: Tell your pets, if that is, what it takes! smiley: biggrin

They are already a nice amount above their goal, this game will rock smiley: biggrin

Even Angry Joe talks about it lol

0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 20, 2012, 8:08:47 PM
So, for anyone who hasn't noticed, as of me posting this, Star Citizen has become the biggest crowd-funded game ever, with over $6.3 million (USD) raised.

I'm hoping this game is awesome, for the sake of the creators who will draw the ire of a lot of people if it bombs...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 20, 2012, 8:27:57 PM
FinalStrigon wrote:
So, for anyone who hasn't noticed, as of me posting this, Star Citizen has become the biggest crowd-funded game ever, with over $6.3 million (USD) raised.

I'm hoping this game is awesome, for the sake of the creators who will draw the ire of a lot of people if it bombs...

Correct, i'm glad they made it thus far smiley: smile

Hopefully it will be a bomb, because this will be the best bomb ever lol
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment