Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

STAR CITIZEN - The revival of High end pc gaming and Space Sims?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Nov 24, 2012, 1:40:40 PM
@Veers: you're right, the coming year will be a tough one, I'm also looking forward to and waiting for so many things to be published... featuring prominently on my long list is the eagerly anticipated Rome 2... I can't wait to get my hands on that! smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 24, 2012, 3:36:54 PM
Codename_Veers wrote:
Ooooooooh yeah!!! How far would you go for Rome?

Too far... smiley: stickouttongue You...?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 24, 2012, 3:44:50 PM
n18991c wrote:
Too far... smiley: stickouttongue You...?

People, don't maim your hands in a brazier. The old aristocratic romans were often on opiates and more than sometimes a little crazy.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 24, 2012, 4:16:34 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
People, don't maim your hands in a brazier. The old aristocratic romans were often on opiates and more than sometimes a little crazy.

Was this post meant to provide criticism of the ancient Romans? Because I don't have a problem with any of the points you raised, Nos! smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 24, 2012, 4:21:28 PM
n18991c wrote:
Was this post meant to provide criticism of the ancient Romans? Because I don't have a problem with any of the points you raised, Nos! smiley: stickouttongue

You might not, but I do. ^^
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 24, 2012, 4:35:33 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
You might not, but I do. ^^

awwww... you used to be so much more fun, Nos smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 24, 2012, 4:44:23 PM
n18991c wrote:
awwww... you used to be so much more fun, Nos smiley: stickouttongue

Ah, I can be quite fun, but that doesn't include regularly drinking a mixture of diverse serpent poisons with opiates in supposedly liters per day, bribing olympic referees to let me win in a singing contest, capturing people and making them train under a strict vegetarian diet (everything else was too costly for disposable goods), animal cruelty in the sense of no diet or definitely a totally wrong diet, strangulation as a popular public execution method (even the guillotine was nicer) or drinking water either out of lead tubing or the river I'd have to defecate into.

No, ancient rome is definitely not my preferred age. smiley: stickouttongue

P.S.: Making every roman aristocratic woman in the city stand in line before the throne to say: "Bed", or: "ugly, not bed", is also not useful, if it ultimately leads your own bodyguard to run you through. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 24, 2012, 4:51:35 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
Ah, I can be quite fun, but that doesn't include regularly drinking a mixture of diverse serpent poisons with opiates in supposedly liters per day, bribing olympic referees to let me win in a singing contest, capturing people and making them train under a strict vegetarian diet (everything else was too costly for disposable goods), animal cruelty in the sense of no diet or definitely a totally wrong diet, strangulation as a popular public execution method (even the guillotine was nicer) or drinking water either out of lead tubing or the river I'd have to defecate into.

No, ancient rome is definitely not my preferred age. smiley: stickouttongue

Sounds a lot like a normal Friday/Saturday night evening out in the clubs partying, actually! smiley: stickouttongue I believe that with modern casting shows, trash tv, binge drinking and rampant drug abuse in wider society not so much has changed after all. Which is quite sad.

Nosferatiel wrote:
P.S.: Making every roman aristocratic woman in the city stand in line before the throne to say: "Bed", or: "ugly, not bed", is also not useful, if it ultimately leads your own bodyguard to run you through. smiley: stickouttongue

That may have been the case during the reign of the mad emperors, but I cannot agree with summing up an ancient civilisation which existed for over a thousand years and provided the foundations for much of what do and know today in such a damning short sentence/paragraph!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 24, 2012, 4:59:39 PM
n18991c wrote:
Sounds a lot like a normal Friday/Saturday night evening out in the clubs partying, actually! smiley: stickouttongue I believe that with modern casting shows, trash tv, binge drinking and rampant drug abuse in wider society not so much has changed after all. Which is quite sad.

Humans stay humans, on that point we may agree.

The only thing that did change, is that in a sexual perspective society's less open than during ancient greek or roman times, while in a moral perspective it is more open to what is considered "acceptable". That is, indeed, an interesting thought. XD

n18991c wrote:
That may have been the case during the reign of the mad emperors, but I cannot agree with summing up an ancient civilisation which existed for over a thousand years and provided the foundations for much of what do and know today in such a damning short sentence/paragraph!

That's why I included references to Nero, Nero again, gladiators, roman amphitheatre practices, ancient republic practices, good old roman plague and lead poisoning problems and finally Caligula.

Of course I'm taking the mad emperors' reigns as an especially revolting example, but some of the points I raised have been normal for hundreds of years in the roman empire. I don't intend to try to "sum up" a thousand years, just to highlight a few points I find especially disturbing and wouldn't like to suffer existing in the present day in my vicinity. (I'm a realist, I cannot guarantee for more than that. smiley: stickouttongue )
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 24, 2012, 5:18:59 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
Humans stay humans, on that point we may agree. The only thing that did change, is that in a sexual perspective society's less open than during ancient greek or roman times, while in a moral perspective it is more open to what is considered "acceptable". That is, indeed, an interesting thought. XD

That's why I included references to Nero, Nero again, gladiators, roman amphitheatre practices, ancient republic practices, good old roman plague and lead poisoning problems and finally Caligula.

Of course I'm taking the mad emperors' reigns as an especially revolting example, but some of the points I raised have been normal for hundreds of years in the roman empire. I don't intend to try to "sum up" a thousand years, just to highlight a few points I find especially disturbing and wouldn't like to suffer existing in the present day in my vicinity. (I'm a realist, I cannot guarantee for more than that. smiley: stickouttongue )

All I can say is that while you're are not wrong in your argumentation, you must always avoid viewing things of the past from today's point of view, because that simply doesn't work. A studied analysis of traditions, lifestyles, politics etc. of the ancient world from the standpoint of "what if I were one of them" will normally make the results seem more acceptable. Everything back then seems brutal and uncivilised now, but in fact it was much the same: corruption existed, bread and circuses were used by the elites to distract the lower classes, wars were foughtsometimes over petty things and other times for survival and so on and so forth. Viewed by an individual living during the time of the ancient Romans, even during the reigns fof the mad emperors such as Nero and Caligula, society and its exploits and advancements would have been dazzling and impressive - because in many areas in the rest of the world life was much worse! In short: you're not wrong, but in hindshight it's always easy to criticise. smiley: smile

Anyways, enough of this dreadful real world stuff and back to the real world of games and, in particular, ES! smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 24, 2012, 5:45:37 PM
n18991c wrote:
Anyways, enough of this dreadful real world stuff and back to the real world of games and, in particular, ES! smiley: biggrin

I think I'm in love with this starting screen of ES, where the planet floats by smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 24, 2012, 6:47:21 PM
Guy, guys! Please, we are not here to debate decadant aristocrats of an ancient time...we are here to debate about decadant aristocrats of the future! Star Citizen remember? smiley: stickouttongue

Both sides have valid points, but I guess that is a question of aesthetics as well, and in the end, we talk about a game, where we don't give a sh** about slaves or life of our soildiers. "Die for the enjoyment of the Emperor!"

And yes, that Planet's realy looking great!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 24, 2012, 6:57:29 PM
Codename_Veers wrote:
Guy, guys! Please, we are not here to debate decadant aristocrats of an ancient time...we are here to debate about decadant aristocrats of the future! Star Citizen remember? smiley: stickouttongue

Both sides have valid points, but I guess that is a question of aesthetics as well, and in the end, we talk about a game, where we don't give a sh** about slaves or life of our soildiers. "Die for the enjoyment of the Emperor!"

And yes, that Planet's realy looking great!

hehe I wonder how the log-in screen at SC is going to be smiley: biggrin

BTW: Curse me and the Steam sales...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 25, 2012, 12:15:47 AM
Alas, I show up too late for the discussion on Ancient Rome...Oh well...

Do we know when SC is expected to be released?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 25, 2012, 12:28:54 AM
FinalStrigon wrote:
Alas, I show up too late for the discussion on Ancient Rome...Oh well...

Do we know when SC is expected to be released?

Somewhen 2014 hopefully..? smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 25, 2012, 12:33:15 AM
Tredecim wrote:

That long? Huh, for some reason I was thinking we'd see it next year...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 25, 2012, 1:06:46 AM
FinalStrigon wrote:
That long? Huh, for some reason I was thinking we'd see it next year...

The dogfighting alpha should be ready at the end of the next year.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 25, 2012, 4:31:41 AM
Nosferatiel wrote:

Good enough for me.

...And yes, I know I'm a hyprocrtite, for all my arguing against fighters in space. smiley: sweat
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 25, 2012, 8:03:38 AM
Tredecim wrote:

Nosferatiel wrote:

Looks like another long wait is to be expected...
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment