Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

The Unfallen - Sentient Trees

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Sep 1, 2016, 5:47:12 PM
carolean7 wrote:

Cool stuff! And looks like you have this one in the bag. Huge congrats. And I like the recent changes you've made to their gameplay (pending balancing). I do have couple questions though:

• You say in the lore that they have a "shared consciousness", do you mean they are all telepathically connected? If so, I feel this isn't really necessary. It doesn't come into play anywhere else in their description and gameplay. Indeed this could be dropped and they would play exactly the same. Actually better in my opinion, because it drops the whole "hive-mind" pretext. I feel lore-wise they would be more exciting and relatable as a species of individuals like any other race, filled with unique personalities, heroes, villains, geniuses, artists, oddballs, etc... and the shared-consciousness doesn't really allow for that to happen. That's just my 2 cents.
  • This is totally my opinion, and could be wrong, but my feeling is that a diplomatic faction should strongly focus on the Influence  resource. This resource is used to alter diplomacy in the game, make diplomatic demands, declare peace, form alliances, make trade agreements, win via a Diplomatic victory, etc... And so far the Unfallen don't interact with Influence in any special way at all. This is the most important resource in diplomacy, but their gameplay has no connection to it. Of course I'm taking the Drakken from EL as the model here. Anyway, I feel some bonus to Influence production is necessary to really push players to use diplomacy as their main form of conflict resolution between empires. This would also strengthen their politics/senate/laws gameplay, which as I understand it, is largely dependent on Influence.

That's just my 2 cents anyway. Great stuff. Looking forward to my space Ents.

Well, the shared consciousness stuff does come in to play regarding the minor details of other faction's planets, but I see your point. I'll have to consider that for a bit. Good feedback!

I agree with the concern over Influence. If I win, I'll get with Amplitude to determine the best way to incorporate that and figure out how to make them more diplomatically oriented. 

Thanks, Carolean!

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 1, 2016, 1:52:08 PM

Cool stuff! And looks like you have this one in the bag. Huge congrats. And I like the recent changes you've made to their gameplay (pending balancing). I do have couple questions though:

• You say in the lore that they have a "shared consciousness", do you mean they are all telepathically connected? If so, I feel this isn't really necessary. It doesn't come into play anywhere else in their description and gameplay. Indeed this could be dropped and they would play exactly the same. Actually better in my opinion, because it drops the whole "hive-mind" pretext. I feel lore-wise they would be more exciting and relatable as a species of individuals like any other race, filled with unique personalities, heroes, villains, geniuses, artists, oddballs, etc... and the shared-consciousness doesn't really allow for that to happen. That's just my 2 cents.
  • This is totally my opinion, and could be wrong, but my feeling is that a diplomatic faction should strongly focus on the Influence  resource. This resource is used to alter diplomacy in the game, make diplomatic demands, declare peace, form alliances, make trade agreements, win via a Diplomatic victory, etc... And so far the Unfallen don't interact with Influence in any special way at all. This is the most important resource in diplomacy, but their gameplay has no connection to it. Of course I'm taking the Drakken from EL as the model here. Anyway, I feel some bonus to Influence production is necessary to really push players to use diplomacy as their main form of conflict resolution between empires. This would also strengthen their politics/senate/laws gameplay, which as I understand it, is largely dependent on Influence.

That's just my 2 cents anyway. Great stuff. Looking forward to my space Ents.

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 31, 2016, 5:27:38 PM
EndlessCrashes wrote:

My bad, I guess I took him seriously.  I honestly thought he was mad at someone for voting against him.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The internet desperately needs a "sarcasm" font.

Also, I think we all just need to let the soothing zen purrs of the space kittens (link) wash over us.

P.S. Speaking of miss-reading sarcasm, the posted link is sarcastic and not intended as a real submission.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 31, 2016, 5:16:13 PM

My bad, I guess I took him seriously.  I honestly thought he was mad at someone for voting against him.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 31, 2016, 4:47:48 PM
EndlessCrashes wrote:

A special message from DevilDog (RobtheBobby) if you didnt vote for him, from his steam forum promotional post:

What a class act!

Bro, I've known Mansen for two years now and we're actually really good friends. So now you're trying to attack my character with this sort of stuff? 

Wow. 

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 31, 2016, 4:22:41 PM

A special message from DevilDog (RobtheBobby) if you didnt vote for him, from his steam forum promotional post:

What a class act!

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 31, 2016, 3:52:03 PM
Hobbesian wrote:

Hm. Studied, now you've created a new set of problems, namely that the trees are extremely overpowered.

Forcing peace for the cost of -one- pop? Early game that's expensive, yes, but consider that mid or late game. That's absolutely minimal, you can replace that in a turn or two (if Endless Space or Endless Legend is anything to go by), worse, you've now allowed the option that the trees CAN go to war whilst the pacifists are not in power AND can force peace whenever they want for the cost of ONE pop.

I'll give you an example of something that is a lot closer to the intended power curve :

Unfallen Affinity : Can force peace at the cost of 1 pop per planet the attacker controls, forcing a peace treaty for a duration of 2x the planets the player controls, pops are taken from your most inhabited planets first. 80 turn cooldown.

This means now that the ability has a much more direct cost, if you use it to force peace against a very large attacker, it's going to hurt, but at the same time, a large attacker will be prevented from re-issuing a war dec against you for an extended period, offering you a long grace period to rebuild and recover. Against a smaller or equivalent sized attacker, the "cost" will be less, but you won't have quite the same time duration. The cooldown also means you can't spam it.

See my point?

Yes, no doubt. I'd definitely be up for balancing the feature further. It's really just the idea and the balancing comes later. 

But yes, you're right, after further thought, it could use some balancing lol

:)

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 31, 2016, 3:11:10 PM

Hm. Studied, now you've created a new set of problems, namely that the trees are extremely overpowered.

Forcing peace for the cost of -one- pop? Early game that's expensive, yes, but consider that mid or late game. That's absolutely minimal, you can replace that in a turn or two (if Endless Space or Endless Legend is anything to go by), worse, you've now allowed the option that the trees CAN go to war whilst the pacifists are not in power AND can force peace whenever they want for the cost of ONE pop.

I'll give you an example of something that is a lot closer to the intended power curve :

Unfallen Affinity : Can force peace at the cost of 1 pop per planet the attacker controls, forcing a peace treaty for a duration of 2x the planets the player controls, pops are taken from your most inhabited planets first. 80 turn cooldown.

This means now that the ability has a much more direct cost, if you use it to force peace against a very large attacker, it's going to hurt, but at the same time, a large attacker will be prevented from re-issuing a war dec against you for an extended period, offering you a long grace period to rebuild and recover. Against a smaller or equivalent sized attacker, the "cost" will be less, but you won't have quite the same time duration. The cooldown also means you can't spam it.

See my point?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 30, 2016, 11:23:04 AM

I kinda like the idea of immobile sentient species. It shouts pacifist to me. Indeed, my creation also has free bonus pop for its ally (with a colonizing ship). However, there are a few things that bugs my mind not upvoting the thing. 

F* peace is a big F*U in the face. Honey, I hate you, let me declare war. Nope, F*Peace. Honey, I love you, I want to say it everyday. Nope, F*Peace. It is the least interactive diplomatic engagement (Unless you want to commit mass murder of your species). You think Drakken? They are badass dragons who go like "You kids want war? Sit down and wait for your turn. I've got other brats to teach what a real war is right now." Diplomatic, yes. But Diplomats? Hell no!

Peaceful with a big stick is non-sense. Or big branches but whatever. Don't get me wrong, pacifist needs to defend themselves but not the spacefaring ones. Think Necrophages, free regen is for the aggressive. (But not low-health regen such as Automaton) Instead, the idea of free pop on allies are very cool. How about free pop on enemies? But not the helpful ones, the kind of haunted trees that make cravers invasion/defending force (edit: ground force) on the planets feel like grasshoppers. Or bleeding blockading fleets, because logic. "Hey this planet is toxic, the foremost (or strongest, non-bombers, etc) blockading fleet loses 25% effective strength each turn." 

Did I get myself clear? Defending themselves means passive assurance. Not day-to-day power steroids. Like free regen or free intel. Also not those puny malus to approval at all. "Dual-nature"? Gets me everytime. But really, it's not funny =|

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 30, 2016, 7:53:14 AM
DevildogFF wrote:

I've reworked it all.

Hm. Is it allowed on that stage of contest? For sure, I'm glad to see any improvements, but maybe you should check it with Amplicrew?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 29, 2016, 7:43:16 PM
Celeir wrote:

It sounds desperately weird to me that pacifists can actually blow the fire of war (by forcing other races to join a fight). And their age... It may be stereotypical, but such long-living creatures could be conservative  , receiving penalties to research speed or upgrading time/cost. Or maybe saplings are progressive majority, 'face of the race'?

I kinda like that idea. Sentient trees usually are portrayed as moving a little slow. Reminds me of how it takes a very, very long time to say anything in Entish.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 29, 2016, 6:22:48 PM
Hobbesian wrote:

I don't feel being able to force another player into war on your behalf regardless of the design is good gameplay, anything that makes choices for another player needs to be carefully considered. There's a big difference between a wardec (which is where one person declares hostilities upon another) and what you're asking for, which is where you are effectively creating a third player as a proxy defender in place of yourself, even if they may be unwilling or unable to do so at the time.

That part definitely needs revision, the Roving Clans would be the place to look I think.

You're right. I've reworked it all. Please let me know what you think of the changes. 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 13, 2016, 12:58:49 AM
DevildogFF wrote:

They are the natural enemies of the Cravers and after losing many planets to their destructiveness, have developed specific defenses to them. Their long history as one of many of the Cravers' slaves have led them to raze themselves rather than have one of their planets occupied. 

I'm afraid you can't do that, Dave (don't refer to another faction in your bio, otherwise you can't "meet them for the first time" in-game). Submission otherwise fine. :)

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 13, 2016, 11:08:50 AM

Cool idea. If hull points are a thing, maybe they could have regenerate as well? Healing between each "phase" of combat and getting fully restored between turns?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 13, 2016, 10:51:09 AM

Well, you can still vote for other submissions than yours. In fact, you can vote for as many submissions as strikes your fancy. We need three winners to get into the final vote.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 13, 2016, 10:23:59 AM

I just added an almost identical proposition to the contest without realizing someone else had had the same idea, I just decided to see which had the most up votes and found this one.

Mine was more focused on terraformation but I'm glad there's another person who thinks along the same lines.

If I hadn't already added a proposition I would so vote for this.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 13, 2016, 9:44:35 AM
UndeadPuppy wrote:
Frogsquadron wrote:
DevildogFF wrote:

They are the natural enemies of the Cravers and after losing many planets to their destructiveness, have developed specific defenses to them. Their long history as one of many of the Cravers' slaves have led them to raze themselves rather than have one of their planets occupied. 

I'm afraid you can't do that, Dave (don't refer to another faction in your bio, otherwise you can't "meet them for the first time" in-game). Submission otherwise fine. :)

Can you mention the Endless though, seeing as they are no a playable faction and have had a role in the development of other playable races?

Absolutely, yes, the Endless are considered a building block of our universe, as opposed to simply one of the factions. They're above it all. (but not everything and everyone has to relate to the Endless. The Sophons, for instance, don't)

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 13, 2016, 8:36:21 AM
I don't know why, but I have always really liked plant creatures, so this for sure has my vote.
0Send private message
Comment