Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Pending crash / game start issues

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Oct 9, 2016, 2:13:55 PM

Hi all,

I have seen a number of problem resulting in your inability to start the game. Even though some of you do not own the current minimal config, we will do our best to solve those. The trick is that we need to have a clear vision of the remaining issues. We have advised on a number of fixes (check the Common Issues sticky thread) and sometimes it solves the problem for people who have reported an issue, but they do not come back to the forum to say that their problem is fixed. Understandable, because they have better things to do (like playing the game :)).

I want to register in this thread all remaining issues so that we can process them without forgetting anyone. Once the game runs fine, please edit your post to state that it is "fixed".

For each of you who still experience issues running the game (after you have performed the common troubleshooting solutions), create a post with the following content:

• State the moment when the game is crashing : right a launch, during the progress bar of the ES2 splash screen, during the new game load, etc.
  • Include your dxdiag
  • Include the log/error messages found in the Steam install directory of ES2 ($Steam/SteamApps/Common/Endless Space2), and look for the files in the "EndlessSpace2_Data" subdirectory: output_log.txt, error.log, crash.dmp
  • Also include the log file "Diagnostics - 2016'XX'XX @XX'XX''.html" found in the $My Document/Endless Space 2/Temporary Files folder.

We will then process and categorize all this. Once again, we are doing our best, and we could fix all the issues on the laptop / HD graphics we had in our hands, but PC configurations are wild and varied, which explains this type of behaviour.

Thanks

Amplimath

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 9, 2016, 2:36:04 PM

"Game launched and ready" issue: Continious freeze without windows error throw right in the loading screen after starting a new game or loading a saved one.

DxDiagNightmare90.txt

output_log.txt

DiagnosticsNightmare90.zip

EDIT: Check your games filepath for special characters. Reinstall in a location without special characters instead and try if this workaround works for you. Thanks Dev Etheon for this fix!

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 9, 2016, 6:36:28 PM

I don't know if this is something, but every single time I try to verify the cache of the ES2 the computer freeze completely and I need to restart it.

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 9, 2016, 8:04:14 PM

Hello

I crash right at the end of the loading screen of a new game, after the bar fulfilled, and right before (or right at the start) of the introduction video of the specie.

No error message, no hang up. The game just close without any other kind of trouble.

My last try was the one which was the farthest : I eared the first syllable of the voice of the sophons video xD

DxDiag.txt

Diagnostics - 2016'10'09 @2117'24''.html

Diagnostics - 2016'10'09 @2123'02''.html

Diagnostics - 2016'10'09 @2125'20''.html

Diagnostics - 2016'10'09 @2140'59''.html

output_log.txt

*edit* typos

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 9, 2016, 8:37:27 PM

Crash as detailed in: Hang on "Game Launched and Ready"

Same as @Nightmare90

Game hangs on new game loading screen. (no discernible crash and no error.log or crash.dmp) 

DxDiag_Zaphyr.txt

output_log.txt

DiagnosticsZaphyr.zip

Problem fixed as per:

Game Launched and Ready thread Page 4

Big thanks to Etheon for providing!

**Still present as of update 0.1.19 (Update One)

*I will update the red spots to green etc upon solving the issue

**Version clarification

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 9, 2016, 9:51:15 PM

I didn't saw it at first, but after each try and game closed, I got the FFV icon in tray, disappearing when I pass over it with the mouse.

It must explain why for me the games seems to "crash" right at the start of the intro vids.

For information : Endless Legend (with all up to date dlc) still runs perfectly (with all video options maxed) and no issue with intro videos. (in case this helps)

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 9, 2016, 11:05:49 PM
Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 1:22:39 AM
V3nom wrote:

Hello

I crash right at the end of the loading screen of a new game, after the bar fulfilled, and right before (or right at the start) of the introduction video of the specie.

No error message, no hang up. The game just close without any other kind of trouble.

My last try was the one which was the farthest : I eared the first syllable of the voice of the sophons video xD

DxDiag.txt

Diagnostics - 2016'10'09 @2117'24''.html

Diagnostics - 2016'10'09 @2123'02''.html

Diagnostics - 2016'10'09 @2125'20''.html

Diagnostics - 2016'10'09 @2140'59''.html

output_log.txt

*edit* typos

I am having all of the same problems as you V3nom, even the part about the program in the tray that dissappears, have you found a fix?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 2:35:22 AM

Nothing yet, but still searching...

What I've tried so far :

-verifying the cache, over and over again, with and without active antivirus.

-forcing the game to use my dedicated gpu (nvidia 770 GTX), I don't even have any onboard videocard but, why not... (and it was a not).

-trying with or without vsync (not working)

-trying while my antivirus suspended (Avast up to date). nop

-trying without Steam overlay. nah...

-tried to "update" my ffv codecs (pretty sure this was not going working), with this one : https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/?source=typ_redirect (still a nop)

BUT ! I tried to start a new game with all 4 different species :

-with sophons : the game just make as I described before, it just stop right after the "game launched and ready" loading screen, vanishing without a trace after the fade in black but the ffv icon visible in tray, which disappear as soon as I pass the mouse over it.

-with all 3 others species : the game crash in a more actual way "the application ceased to function" bla bla.

And I know got a whole bunch of diagnostics xxxx.hmtl files... and they all does exactly 0 octets.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 2:41:34 AM
Carbon wrote:

I don't know if this is something, but every single time I try to verify the cache of the ES2 the computer freeze completely and I need to restart it.

That sounds more like potentially your anti-virus is causing some kind of conflict where it holds the file causing the reverification to fail on Steam

I suggest adding a white list for the ES2 directory in your AV and see if that helps. Run a re-verify of the game cache first as taht should not stall.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 2:58:45 AM
V3nom wrote:

I didn't saw it at first, but after each try and game closed, I got the FFV icon in tray, disappearing when I pass over it with the mouse.

It must explain why for me the games seems to "crash" right at the start of the intro vids.

For information : Endless Legend (with all up to date dlc) still runs perfectly (with all video options maxed) and no issue with intro videos. (in case this helps)

I think EL uses BIK files. But ES2 uses MP4 files

This 'seems' like its a codec problem. I'm wondering if windows 7 and windows 10 home don't have the default codecs required to make it work?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 3:05:31 AM

VLC runs them fine (the 4 species intros), as WMP. But yes, it still looks like the own game's video player doesn't like running on my rig.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment