Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Pending crash / game start issues

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 4:01:34 AM
V3nom wrote:

VLC runs them fine (the 4 species intros), as WMP. But yes, it still looks like the own game's video player doesn't like running on my rig.

Can you try going to

\steamapps\common\Endless Space 2\EndlessSpace2_Data\StreamingAssets\Movies\Factions

Rename all the .mp4 video to a different extension. Then try launching the game. That would more or less determine if the video is causing the issue. I tested it here and it should 'in theory' just not play the video and launch the game

For everyone else reading the above

Note this is a HACK. It is not a fix. If it works fine you can keep playing. But this 'hack' will immediately break each time the game is updated.

PLEASE make your own post here and list out like dxdiag, output_log.txt, etc. Then mention that you deleted/renamed the movie files and that worked for you. Its absolutely critical the devs figure out why the movies are causing these issues. Don't ignore adding your data point as your configuration might be different than someone else's. 

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 4:25:56 AM
satoru wrote:
V3nom wrote:

VLC runs them fine (the 4 species intros), as WMP. But yes, it still looks like the own game's video player doesn't like running on my rig.

Can you try going to

\steamapps\common\Endless Space 2\EndlessSpace2_Data\StreamingAssets\Movies\Factions

Rename all the .mp4 video to a different extension. Then try launching the game. That would more or less determine if the video is causing the issue. I tested it here and it should 'in theory' just not play the video and launch the game

I did that and the common problems i faced stopped happening!! crazy stuff

Edit: Made the video files into .MOV files

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 9:07:26 AM

Yes I was thinking about renaming those videos after my playback tests, but I had to sleep xD

The thing is the splach video which is named "AMPLITUDE Studios.mp4" in colonization folder runs perfectly at the start of the game, so I was still searching for other possibilities.

Anyway renaming the species intros make the game effetively skip them and, in my case about this "ffv bug", it works. I did anyway another try about the "video case", renaming back videos at their original states, and marking subtitle files instead : same "crash" here.

The game (ingame I mean) finally starts and runs perfectly... until I open any submenu as senate, research, and it crashs again, in a more actual way (the banana ceased to function blabla).

Tested with multiple species, same "sub menu crash". Sometimes right before the menu appears, when the game screen gets blurry, sometimes after a few seconds inside the menu screen.

I'm testing the different tabs : Empire info, senate, economical, fleets, academy, they all make the game crash. Quest and diplomacy tabs are obviously not available at the start.

However, it seems that it doesn't crash in the "governor" assignation screen. only "major menues" as they are listed at the top left of the screen.

So this issue was to me a complete other issue, until I saw several "ffv icon tray". So I made a global "*.mp4" search from the main folder of ES2, and renamed all, and this time the game doesn't crash anymore. (you can even do this while the game is running xD)

I think that about submenues, it's the "BackgroundStatic.mp4" which is involved.

But I still doesn't explain myself why the splash video "AMPLITUDE Studios.mp4" works without crash.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 10:17:31 AM
bilbo1010 wrote:

Crashing after the ES2 loading bar is full (right before the ES2 main menu). 

I can hear the sound but never seen the main menu :/

DxDiag.txt

Diagnostics - 2016'10'09 @2034'49''.html

2016-10-09_203444.zip

It seems that your computer is way below the minimum requirements of the game. Do you perhaps have another machine you can play on? 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 10:26:03 AM
Zaphyr wrote:

Crash as detailed in: Hang on "Game Launched and Ready"

Same as @Nightmare90

Game hangs on new game loading screen. (no discernible crash and no error.log or crash.dmp) 

DxDiag_Zaphyr.txt

output_log.txt

DiagnosticsZaphyr.zip

*I will update the red spots to green etc upon solving the issue

Might be worth making sure your drivers are the latest version, even though your card is now a legacy item on AMD's website. You never know!
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 10:28:38 AM
Simoon wrote:

I'm afraid that your laptop is a bit too old to run the game. It doesn't have its own dedicated GPU, and the Intel HD 3000 chipset is too weak to hope achieving even mediocre performance.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 10:32:53 AM
IronyOwl wrote:

Crashes on initial loading screen, when the bar is about as long as one of the medium-sized ships.

DxDiag.txt

crash.dmp

error.log

output_log.txt

Diagnostics - 2016'10'09 @1558'15''.html

Same as above, although your computer is a bit more recent, it doesn't have a discrete GPU. Your Intel chipset is a bit beefier, but I think it probably still falls short of what we need to run the game.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 10:48:34 AM
GamerMonky wrote:

Moment of crash: during the progress bar of the ES2 splash screen

DxDiag.txt

output_log.txt

Diagnostics - 2016'10'09 @1414'00''.html (Link leads to blank page I'm not sure why)

Try this:

Open your graphic card's control panel and follow these instructions:

- NVidia control Panel 

• Click on Manage 3D Settings. 
    • Click on Program settings
    • Click on Add a program
    • Select Endless Space 2
    • Select "Apply"
    • Close the Control Panel
  • Restart your computer and launch the game.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 11:07:39 AM
V3nom wrote:

Yes I was thinking about renaming those videos after my playback tests, but I had to sleep xD

The thing is the splach video which is named "AMPLITUDE Studios.mp4" in colonization folder runs perfectly at the start of the game, so I was still searching for other possibilities.

Anyway renaming the species intros make the game effetively skip them and, in my case about this "ffv bug", it works. I did anyway another try about the "video case", renaming back videos at their original states, and marking subtitle files instead : same "crash" here.

The game (ingame I mean) finally starts and runs perfectly... until I open any submenu as senate, research, and it crashs again, in a more actual way (the banana ceased to function blabla).

Tested with multiple species, same "sub menu crash". Sometimes right before the menu appears, when the game screen gets blurry, sometimes after a few seconds inside the menu screen.

I'm testing the different tabs : Empire info, senate, economical, fleets, academy, they all make the game crash. Quest and diplomacy tabs are obviously not available at the start.

However, it seems that it doesn't crash in the "governor" assignation screen. only "major menues" as they are listed at the top left of the screen.

So this issue was to me a complete other issue, until I saw several "ffv icon tray". So I made a global "*.mp4" search from the main folder of ES2, and renamed all, and this time the game doesn't crash anymore. (you can even do this while the game is running xD)

I think that about submenues, it's the "BackgroundStatic.mp4" which is involved.

But I still doesn't explain myself why the splash video "AMPLITUDE Studios.mp4" works without crash.

Hi all,

We are following this and we are working on a patch to launch the game without video (for now) for those who have the issue (we need to have a fallback static background for the main game screens). 

We quickly analysed the structure of the video files, and they seem to use the same codec. What baffles me is that you can run the Sega/Amplitude intro, but not the other videos. I am going to state the obvious, but have you installed a fresh set of codecs? It should concern H264 but we will continue digging.

Cheers

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 11:37:53 AM

I just installed a (really this time) new x264 codec, but it has no effects.

Another thing (out of topic), I found that the "steppe.mp4" video is the exact same as Amplitude splash one. (same for Outro but this one seems to me more intended at this point of dev)

But yes... why Sega/Amp works (for me) and not the others... this is weird. (I can play all without problem with VLC or WMP)

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 11:44:06 AM
Frogsquadron wrote:
bilbo1010 wrote:

Crashing after the ES2 loading bar is full (right before the ES2 main menu). 

I can hear the sound but never seen the main menu :/

DxDiag.txt

Diagnostics - 2016'10'09 @2034'49''.html

2016-10-09_203444.zip

It seems that your computer is way below the minimum requirements of the game. Do you perhaps have another machine you can play on? 

I don't have any other machine i can play on, but i have to change my graphics card very soon. will it be enough or need i change some other component to play ES2 ? 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 12:10:48 PM

A core i5 and 8Gb of RAM is I think more than enough for the rest of your computer to run ES2 perfectly. :)

(I got almost the same configuration, juste with a 770 GTX video card, which is still pretty decent to run almost anything at max video options or almost)

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 1:25:23 PM
AmpliMath wrote:
V3nom wrote:

Hi all,

We are following this and we are working on a patch to launch the game without video (for now) for those who have the issue (we need to have a fallback static background for the main game screens). 

We quickly analysed the structure of the video files, and they seem to use the same codec. What baffles me is that you can run the Sega/Amplitude intro, but not the other videos. I am going to state the obvious, but have you installed a fresh set of codecs? It should concern H264 but we will continue digging.

Cheers

The only correlating factor between those is that the Amplitude studios.mp4 is in the root of that movies directory, while the others are in separate sub directories.

Maybe you're running into a character/sub-directory limit depending on how far its nested?

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 3:22:51 PM

Ha yes sharp eye ! (I should be not very well awoken u_u)

I also tried by replacing one of intro faction with the Sega/amp which is working, and I got the same crash. It's definitely not a matter of video files in themselves.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 4:35:47 PM
V3nom wrote:

My game works perfectly fine now for me, all menus and such, the only problem i've been having is that the menus will cause some sort of dragging problem, like if something freezes in the background of your PC and you move a window over the frozen one it leaves behind like frozen still pictures of that window you moved, that's what's happening to me, it's not game breaking but its annoying at times

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 5:25:19 PM

Yes it's just like you had a green background for some old school video sfx, but without putting nothing in it except the fact it's "empty". The game expect to fulfill this background with the video but there is nothing, so you have a sort of "hole" with no texture, nothing to even refreshing what's displayed in front of it except the menus, whixh are leaving an ugly trace behind their movements.

It's totally normal with this workaround about this bug. Nothing to worry about, just wait for a proper fix. :)

Some old users of hammer for making levels on half-life (or even a lot of fps) should remember those kind of effects with issues in the skybox, or leaks in the maps that make your charater pass through walls or ground and see the world with missing textures. ^^ (you can "legitimately" do that with purposely bugged games like Goat Simulator)

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 5:51:15 PM
Frogsquadron wrote:
Simoon wrote:

I'm afraid that your laptop is a bit too old to run the game. It doesn't have its own dedicated GPU, and the Intel HD 3000 chipset is too weak to hope achieving even mediocre performance.

This is what I was fearing; Thank you for taking the time to look.

I can't wait to see how ES2 develops in the future, hopefully from a shiny new computer. While you're looking, will it do Endless Legend? I don't want to make the same mistake again.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 6:36:49 PM

I'm affraid that Endless Legend is a bit more ressource demanding than ES2 because of a whole landscape and a lot of elements to show... But this at an equally level of details set in options.

That said, maybe the "low spec" video options can make it run on your computer, I hope devs will answer this in this way.

What is the kind of "highest ressource demanding" video game can you or have you played recently on your computer ?

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 8:20:08 PM
Frogsquadron wrote:
Zaphyr wrote:

~snip~

Might be worth making sure your drivers are the latest version, even though your card is now a legacy item on AMD's website. You never know!
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

Yea I ran through the common issues list.  I was originally using the legacy version and had the issue.  I am now using the most recent 'Crimson Edition' beta drivers and I still have the issue unfortunately.  The software update is pretty nice though!  

(Probably in for a graphics card upgrade sometime 'soon' ...)

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment