Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Pending crash / game start issues

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 25, 2017, 3:46:10 AM

Edit: Eh problem solved....despite my lack of technical skills, managed to work out it was something to do with the Unity engine, and after googling, found some other fellow had worked out you had to click the checkbox "run as administrator" in the compatiblity tab THEN launch from Steam, as opposed to just using the "run as admin" option immediately after Rt clicking on the endlessspace2.exe. 

Hey guys,

Thought i'd give Endless SPace 2 a go. Having trouble loading itthough, and i've quite literally tried everything on your common fixes thread. COmpatibility mode for windows 7  + run as admin, running the .exes in the common_redist folder, changing read-me only on documents folder, verified cache etc. Have also tried -novideo tag at launch. No luck getting past the Endless SPace 2 splash screen and about 5% on the bottom progress bar. 

As far as I've been able to determine, I don't think my laptop has an integrated video card so I don't think thats the problem. Perhaps the video card is too old though?

Have included dxdiag output, and enbdless space output file, but there isn't anything in endless space 2/public/documents/temporary files except for a readme, diagnostics.css and diagnostics.js.

As an aside, I've just noticed there isn't an Endless Space 2 folder in /documents. 

Any help?

Thanks.

DxDiag.txt

output_log.txt

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 27, 2017, 10:51:46 AM

Hi all,

I mistakenly wrote the original post in the Bugs forum (https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forum/114-bug-reports/thread/24277-crash-black-screen-during-space-combat) but it's a technical issue so forgive the post here too.

Obviously we're still at alpha stage, but my game crashes early on, and often just before getting into, a battles. The only time I've been able to see a battle through has been on a fairly simple one on one battle. Anymore ships than that and it crashes to black screen and I need to alt tab.

Crash reports are in the other thread, but my info is below:

> Installed latest video drivers

> Installed latest Windows updates

> Verified game files

I'm using Windows 7 64bit on boot camp on a 27" mid 2011 iMac (I know, I know). 3.1ghz i5 quad core, 8gb ram, AMD Radeon HD 6970M (1GB).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The battles are one of my favourite bits!

All the best.

0Send private message
7 years ago
May 29, 2017, 8:17:15 AM

I could not follow the release of the game so I only try it today and it seems that this old video issue returned. I have to add -novideo to make the game start and pass through the loading splash screen at the end of the loading bar and the start of the main menu music.

Diagnostics - 2017'05'29 @0928'08''.html

(I have no dump file nor dump folder)

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
May 29, 2017, 6:02:18 PM

V3nom,

Taking a look at your diagnostics file, it looks like you have the AMD issue (the display driver crashes while trying to display a spaceship in the main menu). We applied various patches in the past days, but the latest version (1.052) is now unified and should run the game. 

Let me know how it works.

Cheers,

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 15, 2017, 6:50:29 AM

Sorry, I couldn't try before today. So I missed several patches and changes, but right now, no change : if I run the game without -novideo, it starts, splash screen, loading bar fulfilled, the main screen music starts and it crash, and the small "ffv" icon on my tray that disappear is I pass my mouse above.

The exact same bug as monthes ago.

I still don't have any AMD video card neither cpu. (nvidia GTX 770, Intel core i5)

So to me it's a little bit confusing if it's a video card problem because with -novideo (that only remove the mp4 playbacks if I'm not mistaken), the game runs perfectly, and I can display the main menu with the spaceships, even with the max "fantastic" video quality option selected. (I tried lowering it, even to the minimal, without -novideo, and the game still crashed 100% of the launches)

This "mp4 playback crash" was fixed at some point in the beta, or at least it disapppeared for me and I no more needed the -novideo option, but it seems returned (for me at least) at the release.

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 15, 2017, 11:52:00 AM
V3nom wrote:

Sorry, I couldn't try before today. So I missed several patches and changes, but right now, no change : if I run the game without -novideo, it starts, splash screen, loading bar fulfilled, the main screen music starts and it crash, and the small "ffv" icon on my tray that disappear is I pass my mouse above.

The exact same bug as monthes ago.

I still don't have any AMD video card neither cpu. (nvidia GTX 770, Intel core i5)

So to me it's a little bit confusing if it's a video card problem because with -novideo (that only remove the mp4 playbacks if I'm not mistaken), the game runs perfectly, and I can display the main menu with the spaceships, even with the max "fantastic" video quality option selected. (I tried lowering it, even to the minimal, without -novideo, and the game still crashed 100% of the launches)

This "mp4 playback crash" was fixed at some point in the beta, or at least it disapppeared for me and I no more needed the -novideo option, but it seems returned (for me at least) at the release.

That sounds like the ffmpeg issue. You'll need to update any 3rd party codecs you have installed to the absolute latest version. This includes things like the Klite codec pack, or 3rd party video players like VLC.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment