Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion] Poor Ship Models.

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 7:33:57 PM
I really like the ship designs, my main complaint with them isnt design its lack of variation with diff ship classes. I would like to see same style of ship but more different in the style for each class of ship
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 2:30:32 AM
It would be nice if the models were a little more dynamic, with moving parts and turrets or indications as to where the guns on the ships actually are. : /
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 4:49:44 AM
Durandal4532 wrote:
Man, you are straight-up complaining that a design is too well done.

the point of the UE ships is mass-produced and brutal efficiency. Imperium without all the ridiculous cathedral fluff. So yeah, a big old weapons platform is basically the idea. Also, you may notice that it looks super different from every other race. Almost as though a talented artist sat down and designed eight different styles that are easily distinguishable and reflect individual characteristics of the factions being played.

Backseat art criticism is the silliest dang thing.

You are correct in the fact that my original post sounds like trolling. You should read my later one though that goes into details. The Imperium ships work because flying space cathedrals are awesome.

I fail to see how its ok to have bland ship models because your trying to go for the whole "oh well there mass produced weapons platforms". I would rather models be really campy like Space Battleship Yamato than logical models that are boring.

I would also like to point out that modern battleships ARE mass produced weapons platforms and look cool as well. I have never seen a single warship in history that I saw and said to myself "wow what a bland design".
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 5:35:38 AM
darkcommanderq wrote:
I I thought the ship designs were a bit lazy in that game too, but maybe the french just have a very different idea of space ships than us crazy Americans.

What do you mean "us?"
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 4:01:57 AM
lmaoboat wrote:
Sophon are my least favorite looking ones.

I agree, they are like giant blue space bunnies. I think a change in colour scheme from gold to something else that is matte would keep the Hissho ships from looking so over-eagly. I happen to like the 40k looking UE ships, I always thought the ships from 40k were the coolest looking human ships in any sci-fi IP. I like the cravers as they are. The Horatio ships are unique-ish and serve the extreme aesthetics of the race well. Other than a small colour scheme change on the Hissho I wouldn't change the ships so far.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 11:10:12 PM
Well i dunno about you, but i think the Hissho ships look like planes.

also the Cravers don't actually sit in their ships, the flying bugs are the cravers.....so their ships are really just flying surf boards!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 11:15:47 PM
The Hissho ships have wings, but at the front they have an Eagle face. Im sorry but thats just silly.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 11:17:43 PM
#RomulanProblems

0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 11:24:21 PM
Oh woah thank goodness you got here you're so right redesign everything bottom to top man dang gotta scrap it.

Wait no, you're just being a silly goose. The art styles for the various races are neat, easily identifiable, and cool looking.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 12:12:37 AM
I like the UE designs. The Battleship could be a bit grander but its fine.

beisdes any kind of redesign is small potatoes compared to features that actually make the game better functionally.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 2:06:58 AM
Durandal4532 wrote:
Oh woah thank goodness you got here you're so right redesign everything bottom to top man dang gotta scrap it.

Wait no, you're just being a silly goose. The art styles for the various races are neat, easily identifiable, and cool looking.

Sure they are easily identifiable. But they seem bland when you compare them to designs that come from northern studios like CCP or Bioware.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 2:23:00 AM
you know this is a company of like 10 people right?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 2:31:32 AM
wait wait wait hold up a sec

ccp?

as in eve online?

as in eve "everything's a pile of blocks like it's a star wars comic by dark horse in 1993" online?

and you think the UE and Cravers don't count?

and you think that Bioware's obviously Syd Mead inspired style for ME was original? :?

don't get me totally wrong though

I super dig syd mead and that'd be a boss look for the pilgrims to get

but I think you may not know as much about space ship art as you think :V
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 3:00:12 AM
I think that some touch ups would be nice but for the most part I like the current ship models and they all reflect their races well as for people who complain about the blocky UE ships I would like to point to current human designs for space ships and sea going warships. For example the Space Shuttles are basically cargo containers with wings. As for current warships they are built for war, with no flashy unnecessary additions. When I look at the UE ships I see a fusion of the two styles cargo haulers modified for war.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 3:09:29 AM
I think the ship models are fine the way they are now. Blocky models? Look at cars today - Nissan Cube, Scion xB, Mercedes G Class, or Kia Soul.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 11:06:19 PM
I know most of the art is already done, and this probably wont change anything. But am I the only one who things every ship model but the Sophons looks bad?

United Empire - Obviously inspired by warhammer 40k, but the larger ships just look like bricks. There is a nice core model there, but they are bland.

Hissho - Eagle ships? really? Once again smaller ships look fine, the larger ones make me wonder. The Turians from mass effect were also avien in nature, but even they didnt design eagle ships. (Btw I think the Turian ships from mass effect look awesome).

Cravers - I think there is some promise with the craver ships. I for one love the little bugs swarming around them. Why not go all the way and make them more organic though. Wouldnt be the first time and it could break up the metallic shadier monotony.

Horatio - They look alright. Actually I dont think these guys need to be changed either, but There strange aesthetic focused design would be reinforced if the other races looked better.

Something occurred to me while writing this. Another space game iv played a lot of is Stellar Impact which also has french developers. I thought the ship designs were a bit lazy in that game too, but maybe the french just have a very different idea of space ships than us crazy Americans.

I guess once its released and its easier to mod this problem may be fixed.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 4:53:43 AM
darkcommanderq wrote:
There is a nice core model there, but they are bland.
They're supposed to be though? That's what the aesthetic is aiming at. Bland, drab, mass produced ships.

Also, ha at eve having good ship models.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 1:18:50 PM
UE - I love the designs, but a few of the ships could use a few touch ups here and there.

Sophon - Love the concept. Smooth curves, looks peaceful to the eye.

Craver - Fits the theme perfectly. The crew swarming around the ship mending and handling the systems.

Hisho - Not really a fan of the egyptian eagle god theme. It's just TOO distinct (their culture) in the ship designs. I tend to avoid playing them for this reason, even if they are my "best" race atm.

Horatio - Mysterious and foreign ships. I love the double helix design some of the ships have. A few of the designs look a bit odd to me though - few touchups?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 3:55:39 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
#RomulanProblems

And yet, despite the fact that no sane person would or should go to such extra effort to make a ship look like a bird, the romulan warbird design had a lot to go for it smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment