Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion] Poor Ship Models.

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 9:59:53 PM
stevenmc409 wrote:
I think we are evaluating the models in different ways you seem to want the ships to look cool but those of us defending it like them because they match the faction and look like something that humans would make in the future based on how we build things currently. The UE doesn't want cool ships they want big tough cheaply made ships that can haul lots of stuff just like people who buy modern blocky cars want big tough cars that can haul a lots of stuff.

Not to mention there is a reason that the family sedan doesn't look uber-impressive. The family sedan is produced along a line of sedans just like it in a factory, it is mass-produced just like the starships in ES. Other than the Horatio what galactic civilization would feel it is necessary to waste resources by making ships pretty? They are ships meant to be practical for war and defense not to be sat in orbit and awed at. If you want a practical machine of war you will get a ship that looks like a T-34 or a family sedan but if you want a pretty ship that will make the other factions seem unstylish in comparison then you will get the Ferrari of ships that will cost you ten times as much to make.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 3:34:17 PM
Man, you are straight-up complaining that a design is too well done.

the point of the UE ships is mass-produced and brutal efficiency. Imperium without all the ridiculous cathedral fluff. So yeah, a big old weapons platform is basically the idea. Also, you may notice that it looks super different from every other race. Almost as though a talented artist sat down and designed eight different styles that are easily distinguishable and reflect individual characteristics of the factions being played.

Backseat art criticism is the silliest dang thing.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 3:55:09 PM
darkcommanderq wrote:
I know most of the art is already done, and this probably wont change anything. But am I the only one who things every ship model but the Sophons looks bad?

I guess once its released and its easier to mod this problem may be fixed.

Yep, always play Sophon. Reskin all non-Sophon models to have bullseyes--holographic tactical systems should show the target's weaknesses. smiley: detection

n18991c wrote:
And yet, despite the fact that no sane person would or should go to such extra effort to make a ship look like a bird, the romulan warbird design had a lot to go for it smiley: stickouttongue

Lol, Star Trek was all about the window space, which brings up this question: why would any one want a cabin so close to the outer hull? Frankly, if I had to live in Trek-verse, I'd always wear an Ancient Personal Shield from Stargate. smiley: healthpoints smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 4:35:12 PM
supersoaker9 wrote:
Lol, Star Trek was all about the window space, which brings up this question: why would any one want a cabin so close to the outer hull? Frankly, if I had to live in Trek-verse, I'd always wear an Ancient Personal Shield from Stargate. smiley: healthpoints smiley: biggrin

That was always a peeve of mine with the Trek-verse. Only the Borg understood a good defensive ship design. Why would you flatten out a vessel made for war. It adds more surface area to be attacked and less interior defensive positions. Those poor guys are always getting shot all the way through the hull from one side to the other.

As for ES current ship designs, I like em. Don't change what has already been set in motion. As others have suggested, if you don't like the designs then make some yourself. I'm sure you could make a mod that converts the current ship models for something more to your taste.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 5:36:10 PM
Kingherod wrote:
That was always a peeve of mine with the Trek-verse. Only the Borg understood a good defensive ship design. Why would you flatten out a vessel made for war. It adds more surface area to be attacked and less interior defensive positions. Those poor guys are always getting shot all the way through the hull from one side to the other.

As for ES current ship designs, I like em. Don't change what has already been set in motion. As others have suggested, if you don't like the designs then make some yourself. I'm sure you could make a mod that converts the current ship models for something more to your taste.
Well ships in Star Trek were screwed without shields either way, so I guess structural design didn't matter very much.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 5:46:03 PM
supersoaker9 wrote:
Lol, Star Trek was all about the window space, which brings up this question: why would any one want a cabin so close to the outer hull?

So that you can see who's shooting at you... front row seats for a nasty death in cold space when the hull breaches... smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 6:00:39 PM
I think the UE could really use an exagerated dreadnought. The design should be grand and ridiculous for the dreadnaught is in essence not a replicated model that is mass produced in my opinion.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 6:22:52 PM
Kingherod wrote:
...Only the Borg understood a good defensive ship design...

Only thing to say: smiley: approval

Kingherod wrote:
...Why would you flatten out a vessel made for war. It adds more surface area to be attacked and less interior defensive positions. Those poor guys are always getting shot all the way through the hull from one side to the other.

Your answer lies in your own explanation. It is the very fact that they know they'll be shot from one side to the other that they flatten their ships, so each shot removes less volume of the ship.

RIP red shirts.

Still, I'd just build that sphere with the same surface area but maximized volume, and put a bigger reactor and better shields so enemy weapons don't hit my hull to RIP my shirts--suffocation and vaporisation are just too inhumane. There are better ways to waste red shirts, much better ways.3smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 7:59:03 PM
Sir_Destru wrote:
I think the UE could really use an exagerated dreadnought. The design should be grand and ridiculous for the dreadnaught is in essence not a replicated model that is mass produced in my opinion.

Leviathans could make an entry on the board some day - as that really big "one of a kind" capital ship that your race builds to instill fear into everyone smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 8:19:08 PM
darkcommanderq wrote:
I dont think this is the correct way to defend the current ship models. By comparing them to current uninspired cars of today you are basically agreeing with me that they are lack luster atm. We are talking about giant war ships with thousands of crew that are playing an epic role is changing the lives of millions of citizens, not the family "star sedan" for a family visit to a moon.

I think we are evaluating the models in different ways you seem to want the ships to look cool but those of us defending it like them because they match the faction and look like something that humans would make in the future based on how we build things currently. The UE doesn't want cool ships they want big tough cheaply made ships that can haul lots of stuff just like people who buy modern blocky cars want big tough cars that can haul a lots of stuff.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 9:55:15 PM
stevenmc409 wrote:

Well said, from personal, commercial, to military any vehicle not classified as recreational ends up having a blocky look. There's less space lost to pure aesthetics, less design cost, easier construction. A space ship designed in a rectangle simplifies floor design and makes it easier to secure should one deck fail.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 7:28:04 AM
You that bricks work in spacer right? besides allot of the ships in warhammer are flying cathedrals so I don’t think its much of a problem.

Really if you want to be nit-picky, ask why the UE destroyer stands out so much. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 11:35:08 PM
Maybe we should have separate Faction Development subforums to discuss the minutae of anything Faction related?

There are a ton of interesting pieces of discussion here in such a giant pandora's box of content.

This game seems to ride on a ticket to success involving a massive 4X Starmap structure with a massive Space Battle Feature all linked to a Design-a-Ship feature.

For the moment anyways its not quite ground breaking at all, some of it seems like a step backward. But there is still hope! smiley: wink

I do agree that some of the Faction ships definitely need to be ramped up and polished thats for sure!

I am holding onto the fact that what I'm seeing is "Alpha material" and will not reflect the finished product otherwise the Devs have been brought forward through space and time from the 1990s by the Endless Corporate Machine to provide yet another classic 4X clone to feed our 4X habit. smiley: sarcastic Which would be woefully disappointing.

The Hissho and the Sophon Ships really need some more love I think for a start, but beauty and ugly are all in the eye of the beholder so I doubt what ever they do will not spell the end of threads like these...smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 12:42:40 AM
Its getting late here, but I think I will create some posts that gather the information from other threads tomorrow (help to that, would be much appreciated). I think that would ad some nice over view, which I think is needed. As it seems many are having the same thoughts, but they are scattered across an endless space of threads (pun intended).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 1:34:56 AM
darkcommanderq wrote:
United Empire - Obviously inspired by warhammer 40k, but the larger ships just look like bricks.

You realize of course, that a "flying brick" is actually the most efficient method of making a space ship right?

There are no aerodynamics in space.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 10:21:07 AM
I was suprised the UE didnt have a carrier. also the UE destroyer sucks from tonage to design. I dont even build them, they have the same tonage as a corvette and look like a flying tampon with a board on top, as if to mask it. I really like the others though and the brick thing is better more space for more guns! Look at the old sailing ships expessially the ships of the line.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 4:08:41 PM
personaly i think the ships look fine =3 ..well there maybe a few that could do with some tweaking but it wont make me loose any sleep if theyarnt =3 ..... and really compareing a new company that has had years and years to collect artists designers and such to a brand new company is just stupid =X the guys are doing very well smiley: smile and consdering ur being allowed to play at almost all the stages of compleation of their game you should be thankful =3 those other companys you mentioned would all drop dead of a heart attack if asked to do the same as these guys =3 eaither that or laugh themselves to death =3
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 5:36:33 PM
shandaril wrote:
personaly i think the ships look fine =3 ..well there maybe a few that could do with some tweaking but it wont make me loose any sleep if theyarnt =3 ..... and really compareing a new company that has had years and years to collect artists designers and such to a brand new company is just stupid =X the guys are doing very well smiley: smile and consdering ur being allowed to play at almost all the stages of compleation of their game you should be thankful =3 those other companys you mentioned would all drop dead of a heart attack if asked to do the same as these guys =3 eaither that or laugh themselves to death =3

ohh but its fun to crack the whip now and then! smiley: sarcastic

I'm pre-paid through the process, might as well enjoy the journey! You'll like it if you try, go on, give it a go... lol

I think everyone on these forums is in total agreement about the impressive distance this Alpha is in for the resources and people involved on the software side, so yes hats off to them and if I'm going to park my butt for hours on end with my mates across the net coughing up the cash for another 4X game I'm certainly out to get my money's worth!

Loyalty to the brand requires dedication and no complacency on the part of we the stakeholders and ofc those other important stakeholders...the almighty Devs.

...goes off to crack some more whip! Might come in handy against those pesky Cravers again...smiley: twisted
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 6:12:08 PM
I have nothing to complain about ships, i like most of them! smiley: smile Devs did a great job, and I've bought this game also for ship's design! They are so different, furthermore pilgrims' one look so awesome!!!!

Surely this ships models required lot of time and work, and most importantly reflects devs ideas, they aren't simple copy-paste from other movie/games ! smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment