Old Smooth UI Was Better
Block Rectangle Around Elements is Better
I Am Not Too Concerned
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 6:36:11 PM
Social-Pariah wrote:
Why does any of that require an ugly rectangle? I am all for new elements and additional details, just not their current implementation.

What you seem to have taken as "bias" is just a description, how else does one succinctly phrase the difference between a smooth, largely transparent interface and a block rectangle interface besides using those two, or similar, words?

"Current UI texture" / " Previous UI texture"
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 6:37:54 PM
npoetsch wrote:
"Current UI texture" / " Previous UI texture"

Well there's a specific thing about the UI texture that I am highlighting for discussion, ergo, the shape and style.

Rather than say the content or resolution. A specific notion of what was at question was required I believe.

Either way, it is done.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 6:47:31 PM
Social-Pariah wrote:
Well there's a specific thing about the UI texture that I am highlighting for discussion, ergo, the shape and style.

Rather than say the content or resolution. A specific notion of what was at question was required I believe.

Either way, it is done.

I think it's the fact that you added in the word " smooth" which in conjunction to something like the UI implies a bias. Smooth as an adjective for something like a UI will always imply workability or ease of use. The addition of "block rectangle" also has an undertone of being negative since it's implying a rectangle being "blocky" and in this case the UI is more clunky. Maybe next time just make a poll with a simple choice such as Previous UI/Current UI. You state your opinion already in the first post so there's no reason to explain it as well in the actual poll choices. With the current choices, it sounds like you're just using people's inherent knowledge of what blocky and smooth mean when it concerns UI.

Just my two cents.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 12:19:51 AM
I agree that it is a bit more clutering, but I really like the increased amount of intel that is provided. the Intel trumps it for me
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 4:16:56 AM
New UI info is very helpful.

However, I miss the progress bars for outposts.Or recently invaded systems. Helped make it easier to figure out what system was weakest and where I should position my defensive fleets.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 4:22:06 AM
I put down "not too concerned" as the other choices don't fit my opinion.

I like some things about the new UI, like some things about the old UI.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 9:41:26 AM
Ashbery76 wrote:
Substance over style.

Taking that a bit farther, why can't I see the new info at farther out zoom levels? Why does it go away when i could use that info further out? For that matter, why does the farthest out zoom level display no game info at all?

Don't get me wrong, I like that they keep it uncluttered, but I think they could go for just a tad more substance myself. Not too much, just a little.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 1:55:25 PM
eddyvegas wrote:
Taking that a bit farther, why can't I see the new info at farther out zoom levels? Why does it go away when i could use that info further out? For that matter, why does the farthest out zoom level display no game info at all?

Don't get me wrong, I like that they keep it uncluttered, but I think they could go for just a tad more substance myself. Not too much, just a little.

http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/showthread.php?4731-0.42.0-Change-to-Zoom-Levels
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 2:25:47 PM
Improper polling. You make the option you like sound more appealing.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 7:13:15 AM
I like the new information, I really despise the new look. I hope it gets reversed. :P
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 9:23:44 PM
Ashbery76 wrote:
Substance over style.

But it doesn't actually add anything especially new... and the UI is one of the key selling points of this game for me, it is a very stylish interface and that is a good thing. It is a pleasure to use, and the unobtrusive markers from before were a lot nicer.

It's not providing any additional substance, all the icons are the same, it just makes the galaxy a little map uglier, not the slightest bit more functional.

At least make them a bit more transparent or smoother please... just for the sake of uniformity and consistency with the rest of it.

Since everything else is so smooth and curved.

For any information that is added, it simply doesn't need that blockiness at all.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 9:56:53 PM
I actually agree with the original poster. I find that the boxy UI just doesn't do it for me; the additional information it provides comes at a cost of sleekness. The things they did add could be easily added to the old UI, as the build queue and hangar information could easily be spliced onto the left of the old UI. The resource indicator over the planets isn't a necessity for me, but it's a nice touch that the new UI has.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 11:19:35 PM
Old smooth felt less cluttered.

EDIT: after playing awhile, I realised that the initial shock was removed by the informative nature of the new box.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 12:00:37 AM
supersoaker9 wrote:
Old smooth felt less cluttered.

EDIT: after playing awhile, I realised that the initial shock was removed by the informative nature of the new box.

Yes, but the point is it doesn't need the nasty box. smiley: frown

It could just be smoothly implemented instead.

None of the extra information couldn't be presented in the same manner with just an additional attachment to the old smooth way.

I beg you to reconsider. :P
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 12:33:47 AM
I had and continue to have a very strong negative reaction against the blocky planet holders. The information presented is good, but it looks clunky and feels intrusive. I've found it pretty distracting so far - I think I preferred the old ones!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 12:36:08 AM
Okay, this is EXACTLY how I feel about it: The new info is nice, the new design is not nice. Put the new info with the old design. Perfecto!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 2:19:57 AM
Personally I find it bulky. Besides the loss of uniformity, "smoothness," it also leaves space for 6 planets even if there are only a couple. This is now a waste of space around my planet as an in-game aesthetic. As a selling feature the Alpha had it much better. It also didn't have extra black spaces that lookkind of gross and out of place. I think I am repeating myself now. smiley: stickouttongue

Please change it back... Please! PLEASE!

Thanks
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 3:27:51 AM
Some things like the current production is easily read on the empire menu.

I could care less about population as it is also shown on the empire page but now if it showed per planet.. well it would be more cluttered but useful for me.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 3:49:01 AM
I do like the new info, and it's less annoying than it was upon first impression, but I still like the old style better.

The icons for hangared ships and production are handy, but the planet slots are unnecessary imo.

I do like the new siege visuals, on the rare occasion I've seen them working.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment