[Discussion - Poll] Galaxy Map UI Changes

Old Smooth UI Was Better
Block Rectangle Around Elements is Better
I Am Not Too Concerned
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 4:30:44 AM
Wherever you come down on this issue (I personally like the change, but I didn't spend as much time with the Alpha as many of you), I think we can all agree that if this is our worst problem, we're in for a heck of a game. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 4:55:19 AM
First impression is good for me, I have played just for a few minutes but the new UI looks good.

The only thing I found a little annoying is the little box under the planet icons (white, orange ones) on the galaxy screen, I am not to keen on the spiky look of it.

Once I play more I will be sure to provide more input.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 5:28:40 AM
I was pleasantly surprised to see the new system information, and while I'm not bothered by the new look, I see why people are turned off by it. It's possible that if the edges were rounded (no sharp corners here!), it would be nicer.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 8:49:56 PM
I've got to say it, the new UI alteration to have boxes around the planet markers is really, really not doing it for me.

It seems so very out of place amongst the curvy smooth and pleasing features of the rest of the UI.

It was so very much better before and I know I can't be the only one who thinks so.

So this is definitely something that should be up for review based on the public response.

It was so very much nicer before... a real step back.

I am not at issue with the new information being provided, just it's inconsistent and lesser presentation compared to before.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 7:35:03 AM
Maybe its possible to blend it in as a Filter option. I also prefer the old style over the new, the information is already available in the empire screen.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 8:08:49 AM
The information supplied was necesary -in my opinion-. Maybe a little more design work to fit the rest of the interface and would be perfect
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 8:15:37 AM
I like the extra information the new UI provides. The graphics is secondary to the fact that I now know at a glance if ships are in hangar, that something is built and how much pop the system has, at least for me.

The best solution in my opinion would be to make the new and old UI options in the menu.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 8:54:18 AM
Absolutely agree. Love the extra information, don't like the design. For example: it is nice that the box shows what the system is producing at the moment, but it looks very squiggly (especially on high resolution).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 11:44:12 AM
the old style did seem nicer, but I found you quickly get used to the boxes and there's a lot of (necessary) info contained in them, so I'd say it's ok
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 11:52:57 AM
Nosferatiel wrote:
I like the extra information the new UI provides. The graphics is secondary to the fact that I now know at a glance if ships are in hangar, that something is built and how much pop the system has, at least for me.

The best solution in my opinion would be to make the new and old UI options in the menu.

I would be happy to have some tweaking options yes, I do hope there will be some UI preferences at some point.

As the non-box was a lot more pleasing, the information could easily be added in the same format as before. ^^'

Seems a shame to spoil the gorgeousness for no reason.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 12:32:09 PM
Social-Pariah wrote:
I would be happy to have some tweaking options yes, I do hope there will be some UI preferences at some point.

As the non-box was a lot more pleasing, the information could easily be added in the same format as before. ^^'

Seems a shame to spoil the gorgeousness for no reason.

This would seem to be the best solution.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 12:39:29 PM
As said before the new amount of info is nice, the design is yuk. Well it isn't exactly but when you compare it to the rest of the game, with a smooth cleen cut, less is more, attitude. Then they just appear clunky and ugly.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 2:13:19 PM
Social-Pariah wrote:
... It could just be smoothly implemented instead.

... extra information ... presented in the same manner with ... old smooth way.

I beg you to reconsider. :P

No need to reconsider--already voted: "Old Smooth UI Was Better" and no regrets.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 3:30:15 PM
Social-Pariah wrote:
But it doesn't actually add anything especially new... and the UI is one of the key selling points of this game for me, it is a very stylish interface and that is a good thing. It is a pleasure to use, and the unobtrusive markers from before were a lot nicer.

It's not providing any additional substance, all the icons are the same, it just makes the galaxy a little map uglier, not the slightest bit more functional.

At least make them a bit more transparent or smoother please... just for the sake of uniformity and consistency with the rest of it.

Since everything else is so smooth and curved.

For any information that is added, it simply doesn't need that blockiness at all.

It's alot more useful ! You exactly know which planet has resources and if you already have colonized the planet or if you can colonize it !

But they could round the shape of the rectangle a bit.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 3:34:33 PM
I understand the OP's point, the UI was also something that grabbed my attention initially when I was checking out the game pre-purchase. Another case of personal preference- vote it up!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 4:03:34 PM
I like the amount of information that the new UI brings and am actually happy with the changes. The only thing that bothers me is how blurry the fonts are right now. I would expect a game like this to have a crisp and clear interface, but it really isn't right now.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 4:36:21 PM
VieuxChat wrote:
It's alot more usefull ! You exactly know which planet has resources and if you already have colonized the planet or if you can colonize it !

But they could round the shape of the rectangle a bit.

Errr... the Alpha UI told you whether planets were colonised, whether you or couldn't and that there were resources in that system. O_o

Just in a much nicer way in my opinion.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment