[Discussion - Poll] Galaxy Map UI Changes

Old Smooth UI Was Better
Block Rectangle Around Elements is Better
I Am Not Too Concerned
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 11:33:43 AM
Whilst I don't mind the new UI, I think the bars above the planets don't really look very good, IMO it would be better if there were no planet display in galaxy view (ie those white/blue/red dots) as they make the bars seem too thick and ugly, the old UI looked very fluid and well designed compared to this. Also, the little icons showing current constructions are tiny and look strangely aliased.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 6:28:06 PM
i simply have to agree on the thread starters opnion. i like the new functions and would like to keep em but on the other hand i realy realy want the old look back and i dont think it would be a problem maybe as ruther suggested as filter or option or simply as keep the new fuction but use the old design a icon next to the system is okay maybe as well you should blend it out if you start to scroll out farther to lets say 5 -7 systems on screen.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 6:41:25 PM
yes it is a good thing that we can in an look what is on production and if there ship in hangar but it look too squarish to me i would like a more round design for it
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 8:02:01 PM
i say make it a option for people to choose from

you can either have the sleek design UI which is better for me, or the more informative box above the planet which makes me want go on a rampage, even though it's slightly better and makes it a little easier instead of looking around through all the menus
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 8:05:49 PM
VieuxChat wrote:
But not if you could colonize the planet that would hold the resource. you just knew that there was some resource, but not on what planet. It's really easier to plan colony ships with that information (I don't have to clic on the system to know if I can colonize the planet with the precious resource I want)
I certainly understand the notion, but sincerely disagree with the idea of shipping out colony ships to these planets without clicking to see what the planet has. I've seen some horrible, horrible planets out there with the oddest rare resources. o_O
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 8:33:24 PM
I'd like to know if the devs are shocked that there's already a three-page thread here about a rectangle. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 8:51:25 PM
The new Map UI is horrible.

Completely breaks against the old minimalistic and smooth look.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 11:06:37 PM

The new Map UI is horrible.

Completely breaks against the old minimalistic and smooth look.

SLIGHT overstatement, maybe?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 1:41:03 AM
I like the new UI better especially the galaxy view where planets are shown above the name and the elements that planet contains above that. Makes things so much easier and quicker IMO
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 1:48:34 AM
If this is a question about aesthetics, then the boxes is kind of contrary to the rest of the UI. If this is a question about the presentation of information, that's a different question.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 2:29:31 AM
I like that it shows current production and has the planets in order with what resources they might offer etc etc but i did like how slick the old galaxy ui was. maybe just rearrange and rework how it looks while still displaying the new information?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 6:13:34 AM
drunkenvalley wrote:
I certainly understand the notion, but sincerely disagree with the idea of shipping out colony ships to these planets without clicking to see what the planet has. I've seen some horrible, horrible planets out there with the oddest rare resources. o_O

Maybe adding a color code of what kind is the planet would be good. And you don't need to have a full planet to get the bonus from the resource. so just colonize it and transfer population to other planets if you don't want the maluses. The resources are valuable enough to sacrifice a bit about the planet quality.

Most of time the time.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 8:42:46 AM
I also feel the new look makes the otherwise sublime interface look way to cluttered while showing little extra information. The blocks feel to heavy, especially the part which holds the planets like an carton of eggs.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 9:23:46 AM
Only thing I have to say is that the edges could be rounded to make it look better. I didn't like the old UI simply because it was hard for me to tell the difference between a colonized light blue marker vs uncolonized white.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 5:09:00 PM
But not if you could colonize the planet that would hold the resource. you just knew that there was some resource, but not on what planet. It's really easier to plan colony ships with that information (I don't have to clic on the system to know if I can colonize the planet with the precious resource I want)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 3:09:30 PM
As other posters have said, I like the new information but I don't like the box. Maybe it's one or the other and if so I'll take the information and the box but if there's a way to compromise and have the best of both then obviously I'd prefer that.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 4:12:17 PM
It's nice to be able to see all the important info about a system at a glance. However, the new UI is definitely more cluttered looking and makes the galaxy map kind of a mess, especially when zoomed out a bit.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 5:16:38 PM
Firstly your polling question creates bias in how you named the poll choices, secondly the new UI seems more unified, the planet icons on top look a lot better then when they were pushed to the side IMO, The new info is also useful, and the new display for blockades and invasions actually looks better then the old display IMO. Also if you noticed the resorces are now above the planet icon of the planet they occur on....brilliant!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 5:59:43 PM
Gamer_Sharkie wrote:
Firstly your polling question creates bias in how you named the poll choices, secondly the new UI seems more unified, the planet icons on top look a lot better then when they were pushed to the side IMO, The new info is also useful, and the new display for blockades and invasions actually looks better then the old display IMO. Also if you noticed the resorces are now above the planet icon of the planet they occur on....brilliant!

Why does any of that require an ugly rectangle? I am all for new elements and additional details, just not their current implementation.

What you seem to have taken as "bias" is just a description, how else does one succinctly phrase the difference between a smooth, largely transparent interface and a block rectangle interface besides using those two, or similar, words?
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment