Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

ALOT of changes necessary

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Nov 22, 2012, 4:32:39 PM
Well that technology would probably have been lost like the endless, and destroying systems would lead to some unwanted gameplay types with people rushing to it to create M.A.D.

But don't fret, because there is a lot of possibility's out there with forgotten endless technology and the power of Dust.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 5, 2012, 11:37:54 PM
I find it peculiar that the OP dislikes the lanes so much. Hell, my biggest headache is that they aren't used enough late-game (It makes defending an empire utterly impossible). I would also point out that many of these aren't faults that need to be corrected, but rather individual gripes that would be better solved through a mod.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 7, 2012, 11:29:59 AM
I guess a game mode without lanes where all lane based propulsion techs are replaced by proper warp wouldn't be such a bad thing.

It gives people more options and allows those who aren't a fan of the lanes to play 'their way'. Not a personal preference of mine, but making the game appeal to a wider audience by giving us options (without forcing us to play one way or the other) can only be a positive thing. Seems relatively simple to accomplish as well.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 7, 2012, 12:38:40 PM
Anybody else thing it would be cool if systems could be upgrades with lane launchers, so all friendly ships leaving will travel faster down all lanes leaving the system? Sort of like a inter stellar highway.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 12, 2012, 9:43:49 AM
Igncom1 wrote:
Anybody else thing it would be cool if systems could be upgrades with lane launchers, so all friendly ships leaving will travel faster down all lanes leaving the system? Sort of like a inter stellar highway.

Good Idea! smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 20, 2012, 4:55:35 AM
Romeo wrote:
my biggest headache is that they aren't used enough late-game (It makes defending an empire utterly impossible). I would also point out that many of these aren't faults that need to be corrected, but rather individual gripes that would be better solved through a mod.

I agree on both of those statements. I feel there should be more to the lanes late-game then having another empire warp in from multiple locations and wipe you out because you just can't defend that many places at once! No more bottle necks that held them off for most of the game.

And mods are wonderful things. Most games I enjoy also employ a mode or more. Hell... Skyrim to make it enjoyable and have some depth I've installed (thanks to workshop) over 120 mods and all work together to make for a game with much more depth and playability.

The only thing I at the moment have any gripes with, well 2 things, are the same UI problem in the map as everyone seems to say they dislike with the zooming. The big thing is i'm not very fast and if I need to do a quick thinking to get through a battle and place the cards I need before the battle turn is over and on to the next phase... I often get confused and stare at the screen not understanding what's going on. (It is due to my fibromyalgia having damaged my memory and nerves system) If the Devs would be willing to grace us with the option to 'pause' the battle after each phase (default off) it would make the game for those in my situation much more enjoyable. I can usually respond in time without getting confused in about 2 out of the 3 phases. Almost always miss the second phase. (And yes, I know that this isn't up for discussion ATM) If there was some way to mod this into the game... it would be wonderful.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 20, 2012, 8:36:00 PM
GreyFalcon wrote:
I agree on both of those statements. I feel there should be more to the lanes late-game then having another empire warp in from multiple locations and wipe you out because you just can't defend that many places at once! No more bottle necks that held them off for most of the game.

And mods are wonderful things. Most games I enjoy also employ a mode or more. Hell... Skyrim to make it enjoyable and have some depth I've installed (thanks to workshop) over 120 mods and all work together to make for a game with much more depth and playability.

The only thing I at the moment have any gripes with, well 2 things, are the same UI problem in the map as everyone seems to say they dislike with the zooming. The big thing is i'm not very fast and if I need to do a quick thinking to get through a battle and place the cards I need before the battle turn is over and on to the next phase... I often get confused and stare at the screen not understanding what's going on. (It is due to my fibromyalgia having damaged my memory and nerves system) If the Devs would be willing to grace us with the option to 'pause' the battle after each phase (default off) it would make the game for those in my situation much more enjoyable. I can usually respond in time without getting confused in about 2 out of the 3 phases. Almost always miss the second phase. (And yes, I know that this isn't up for discussion ATM) If there was some way to mod this into the game... it would be wonderful.

Well said! 120 mods seems to be a overkill for me, but nevermind smiley: biggrin

The pausing-option is a good idea too!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 22, 2012, 8:04:28 AM
While I was very, very upset with Skyrim (WHY DID THEY TAKE AWAY MY ATTRIBUTES?), I feel you on the mod front. Oblivion/Morrowind, Supreme Commander, Total Annihilation, Red Alert 2/3, Command and Conquer 2/3 and Dawn of War: Soulstorm are all "oldish" games, that I adore much, more more than the sequels, because the mods allowed me to tailer whatever areas I thought needed improvement and skip the stuff that I didn't like the look of. Hell, my Dawn of War now has some ~20 races in it, many of which have about a hundred different unit options. Needless to say, skirmishes are absolutely GLORIOUS.

I can wait to get stupidly in-depth with Endless Space, but sadly, I wont be able to just yet, I lack the intellect for it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 22, 2012, 8:13:15 AM
Romeo wrote:
While I was very, very upset with Skyrim (WHY DID THEY TAKE AWAY MY ATTRIBUTES?), I feel you on the mod front. Oblivion/Morrowind, Supreme Commander, Total Annihilation, Red Alert 2/3, Command and Conquer 2/3 and Dawn of War: Soulstorm are all "oldish" games, that I adore much, more more than the sequels, because the mods allowed me to tailer whatever areas I thought needed improvement and skip the stuff that I didn't like the look of. Hell, my Dawn of War now has some ~20 races in it, many of which have about a hundred different unit options. Needless to say, skirmishes are absolutely GLORIOUS.

I can wait to get stupidly in-depth with Endless Space, but sadly, I wont be able to just yet, I lack the intellect for it.

Hehe, great post - Dawn of War is a great game! smiley: biggrin

Skyrim is nice too smiley: stickouttongue

Mods here, modes there - some are more useful, some less.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 22, 2012, 1:24:10 PM
Igncom1 wrote:

Warp Gate network please. Instantaneous travel between your colonies.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 22, 2012, 4:24:12 PM
I hope we can turn stars into blackholes, the features of which could bend and slow (or even totally destroy) lanes, could be a nice feature for those useless systems that have like 5 barren planets.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 5, 2012, 11:02:54 PM
Niweiqi wrote:
1. The most annoying thing to me are the fast travel routes. The very idea alone is an atrocity. It robs players of freedom and limits tactical possibilities.

But if you really want it in the game, at least make it so that systems in direct proximity to each other are enabled to be traveled between. It's quite frustrating to have to take the long way to get to a system that's basically a stone's throw away. Also it makes the gameplay slower than it needs to be.

4. I don't like the galaxy map, it's not lucid. I have problems finding the systems I already colonized and the further away zoom options are nearly pointless. The systems should stay the same, readable size when zooming out. It's really hard to get a good overlook over your stuff. Also the UI should show you a list of planets if you wish, like in MofOrion 2. So you could decide easier which planet to colonize next. Clicking through every system you have discovered just to do that is a bit frustrating.

Just a suggestion - use the advanced option when creating a map - choose as many connecting points to stars as possible and choose one of the galaxy types without arms. Set wormholes/constellation connections to as little as possible. Voila - Moo2 style map. (Please call it Moo2 or MOO2 and not whatever you are doing, MofOrion 2 is not an abbreviation any veteran uses - it made the hairs on my back stand up! I wasn't even sure you were referring to my favourite game.)

You get tons of technology which allows you to travel outside the lanes later on - so a more traditional map without constellations really does make a big difference to your experience.

As for zoom level, I kind of agree. I never use any of the far zoomed out levels, I stay on the maximum zoomed out level which still shows the 'fuller' version of the planet handles: the one with construction/resources marked on it. I'd like to see my borders etc. when zoomed out further tbh.

As for battle system - it's ok once you get used to it. It lacks depth / options - but this will come with the expansion hopefully. It needs more weapon types and defensive options as that will vastly increase the tactical depth. I'd personally like to see better ship designs as most of them are a bit so-so, not my style really. It would also be nice to see your design choices reflected in the 3d engine - at least see some movable weapons etc.

Last but not least we need partial damage. Right now a ship remains at full combat capability until its last breath.

Tech wise, I have no problems with it. It's different but it works quite well. Moo2 gave you multiple techs per research level too, provided you were Psilons or had the equivalent trait.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 22, 2012, 5:41:20 PM
EvilTactician wrote:
Warp Gate network please. Instantaneous travel between your colonies.

Of course only implemented with cool animations etc... smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 22, 2012, 7:00:35 PM
Well with the right tech and a system with a wormhole, you do have this in spirit.

I am just waiting for the game to allow players to build wormhole empires with fleets that have 1 movement point.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 22, 2012, 7:05:55 PM
n18991c wrote:
Of course only implemented with cool animations etc... smiley: smile

Graphics maybe, but mostly it should work smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 23, 2012, 6:43:34 AM
While a weaponized black hole would be unfair, I think they are on to something. So far, EVERYTHING is colonizable in the galaxy, there's no "effects" stuff. How cool would it be to discover a black hole? (And promptly lose the scout as well)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 23, 2012, 7:21:57 AM
Romeo wrote:
While a weaponized black hole would be unfair, I think they are on to something. So far, EVERYTHING is colonizable in the galaxy, there's no "effects" stuff. How cool would it be to discover a black hole? (And promptly lose the scout as well)

... and the rest of the battle fleet. Surprise! smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 23, 2012, 8:13:23 AM
n18991c wrote:
... and the rest of the battle fleet. Surprise! smiley: biggrin

"this isn't supposed to be happening" lol

Yeah nice idea, Romeo!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 25, 2012, 7:18:40 PM
Romeo wrote:
How cool would it be to discover a black hole? (And promptly lose the scout as well)

That would be a major turn off for me. Even with current technology, we can observe the gravitational effects of unobservable bodies such as black holes, from far away. Sure, add interesting features, but the pseudo-science and technobabble needs to follow along, otherwise I want my fleet of interstellar flying unicorns with laser eyes.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 26, 2012, 4:00:24 PM
Marthnn wrote:
I want my fleet of interstellar flying unicorns with laser eyes.

I'd want that too!
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment