Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Wings in space

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Apr 25, 2013, 3:50:50 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
At least I'm not the only one that is down with a cold, right now. smiley: wink

yes yes we know you two have so much in common... get a room already! smiley: stickouttongue lol
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 25, 2013, 5:02:02 PM
n18991c wrote:
yes yes we know you two have so much in common... get a room already! smiley: stickouttongue lol

I don't know anyone who'd rent me a surgery room, but thanks for the thought. smiley: wink
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 25, 2013, 5:27:25 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
I don't know anyone who'd rent me a surgery room, but thanks for the thought. smiley: wink

lmao

Wait, who cares about a sterile environment if you are operating on Tred, though?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 25, 2013, 5:50:02 PM
Stealth_Hawk wrote:
lmao

Wait, who cares about a sterile environment if you are operating on Tred, though?

For some operations, cleanliness is in your own best interest, trust me. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 25, 2013, 5:52:43 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
For some operations, cleanliness is in your own best interest, trust me. smiley: stickouttongue

Aha, the protection is for you, not him.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 25, 2013, 5:57:26 PM
Stealth_Hawk wrote:
lmao

Hey HEY not nice D:

Don't even think about putting me into surgery, I'll be fine soon!

Needs moar Wings in Space!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 25, 2013, 6:04:36 PM
Tredecim wrote:

You heard the man! Get some more Flamin' Hissho Space Wings to his table!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 25, 2013, 6:07:42 PM
Tredecim wrote:
Hey HEY not nice D:

Don't even think about putting me into surgery, I'll be fine soon!

Who said anything about performing surgery on you? smiley: surprise

Anyways, why did we let n18 make this thread go offtopic, again? Maybe we should make him sit in a few winged and wingless automated prototypes performing real life dogfight exercises in space.

Also it came to my mind that spherical designs for spacecraft have the downside that you're neglecting any needs for exhaust ports, surface area for attaching weapons and ammunition loading ramps + pilot cockpits and their access doors.

These things might as well give enough reasons for asymmetric designs along a symmetric spine, so basically cylindrical or planar, where planar would always remind you of "winged". That might even be a universal requirement.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 25, 2013, 6:47:10 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
Who said anything about performing surgery on you? smiley: surprise

Anyways, why did we let n18 make this thread go offtopic, again? Maybe we should make him sit in a few winged and wingless automated prototypes performing real life dogfight exercises in space.

Also it came to my mind that spherical designs for spacecraft have the downside that you're neglecting any needs for exhaust ports, surface area for attaching weapons and ammunition loading ramps + pilot cockpits and their access doors.

These things might as well give enough reasons for asymmetric designs along a symmetric spine, so basically cylindrical or planar, where planar would always remind you of "winged". That might even be a universal requirement.

Yeah, n18 for Pilot! lol
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 25, 2013, 7:35:48 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
Anyways, why did we let n18 make this thread go offtopic, again?

I somehow remember this whole episode differently. To be specific: I don't recall being the one responsible for the renewed off-topic direction which this thread appears to have once again taken. I only said "snore" beause Nos was ranting, so it's really your fault, Nos! smiley: stickouttongue To conclude, this leaves me innocent on all charges I'd say! smiley: biggrin

Tredecim wrote:
Yeah, n18 for Pilot! lol

This would suit me perfectly, since I am indeed a bit of a hotshot, so thanks for nominating me, Tred smiley: smile
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 26, 2013, 2:57:14 AM
God danit

can we pls come back to the actual topic guys? cant you be sirous just for one time!

So now pls watch the video i researched about aerodynamics, spacetravels, and a look at the future of mankind featuring George Takei (Mr. Sulu from ST)

Thank you.

0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 27, 2013, 4:44:59 AM
The fighters/bombers are generally being used in invasions, so we can probably assume that they need to be atmosphere-capable. Don't ask how a small fighter craft would enter or exit the atmosphere, just like it's bad form to ask why most spaceship depictions show rocket engines of some sort (c is for wusses).

Also, wings provide hardpoints for engine nacelles, weaponry, bombs, and the like. Sure, you could stick that stuff directly to the hull, but then you would be running the risk of a hull breach any time the enemy targets your weapons (assuming they weren't going for the hull breach anyways).
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 30, 2013, 10:48:55 AM
stasik28 wrote:
Well, in Babylon 5 fighter/bombers played a pretty big role (white squadron :P)

I have, like Nos in the bomber suggestions thread, no idea what you are talking bout - please explain smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 30, 2013, 11:01:59 AM
Sovereign wrote:
God danit

can we pls come back to the actual topic guys? cant you be sirous just for one time!

So now pls watch the video i researched about aerodynamics, spacetravels, and a look at the future of mankind featuring George Takei (Mr. Sulu from ST)

Thank you.

I see what you did there...

...chicken wings!
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 3, 2013, 5:17:30 AM
Point: In the design document(s) the bombers can also be used for planetary bombardment, so they do in-atmosphere work.

Counterpoint: You allready have inertia damping and engines efficient enough that the lift wings provide could be irrelevant.

Point: Provide hardpoints for weapons

I'd say space fighters sufficiently advanced CAN have wings serving a purpose, but doesn't have to have them.

With that said, I never saw an united empire fighter/bomber design vote - did I miss that?

Edit: Eh. I noticed I only read page 1 of a 7 page thread. The points had allready been made. Oh well. I'll let it stay.
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 4, 2013, 2:07:09 AM
hell, I still want to know why they even need enclosed hulls. Wings, smings. They could even been made of wood and I would be fine with it. Darkships from Glen Cook's Darkwar series had wood variants, hell, most of them were open to space. Nothing more than flying crosses where you stood on the points. Of course the weapons the dark casters used were not one bit friendly.... see you in the up and over
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 4, 2013, 6:18:48 AM
Tredecim wrote:
I have, like Nos in the bomber suggestions thread, no idea what you are talking bout - please explain smiley: biggrin

What do you mean? lol I don't get the nos part
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 4, 2013, 1:21:40 PM
stasik28 wrote:
What do you mean? lol I don't get the nos part

Nos = Nas

smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
?

Click here to login