Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Less capital ship weapons now?

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Jun 29, 2013, 2:49:50 PM
Try out fighter bays which take up % tonnage. Why bother using a large ship as a carrier when you are going to get the same amount of fighters, for more expense and far more tonnage? -.-
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 27, 2013, 11:42:34 PM
GruulTapul wrote:
Sadly, I think the underlying problem is that you can only unlock two items per technology

Nope, there is no technical restriction to it. i think the only reason why not more items are unlocked per tech is because it might look strange. But you can unlock everything you want with one tech in a mod.

I also plan to make a mod that reverts some changes of the expansion.

While there's some cool new things I really like, there's also enough that I don't like in it's current shape.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 27, 2013, 11:50:02 PM
yea, the techs can only display 2 unlocks at a time.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 28, 2013, 12:10:20 AM
In general, i like the fewer, tighter warfare techs. I would rather focus on these special modules and other mechanics instead of just getting better weapons and armor all the time. I also feel like it gives more early game variety, as now one weapon tech opens 3 ranges of options. It waits to be seen whether the attacks at each ranges are effective enough to warrant using, i'm still trying to wrap my head around how weapon vs defense works now.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 28, 2013, 12:16:01 AM
I like that you don't gain a massive advantage from T1 to T2, as that really helps races like the cravers and hissho, where military tactics is still better then brute technology.

Would love more battle cards involving the strike craft.

QUESTION

Anybody else feel like bombers are kinda bad against ships in comparison to fighters?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 28, 2013, 12:45:50 AM
I did a small rant about this in another thread.

Anyway, I couldn't agree more with those who say that taking options away is never a good thing. There's no customization anymore. Being forced to use the latest tech you've researched breaks the game both for me and the AI. Since I've seen plenty of fleets with no attack power because they are stuck on weapons without the required resource.

75% of the games you're on the second tier of weapons and defense and my fully equipped Dreadnoughts struggle to take down smaller ships for some reason and I often need three or four Dreadnought fleets to take down a single fleet in one round. This isn't fun anymore, just annoying and extremely tedious.

Please, just give us back our customization and tech from before, and include it with the new mechanics. This is supposed to be an expansion, not a downgrade with a new gimmick.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 28, 2013, 12:49:43 AM
Whoh whoh whoa....you're complaining about having to take more then one battle to kill an enemy?

That's the best part! Especially when before we could barely get past the first combat phase.

I thinks that's fantastic.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 28, 2013, 1:21:26 AM
Ervik wrote:
Being forced to use the latest tech you've researched breaks the game both for me and the AI. Since I've seen plenty of fleets with no attack power because they are stuck on weapons without the required resource.

At this point, I think everyone has expressed very similar opinions about this mechanic. I'm sure the Devs are looking into it.

Ervik wrote:
75% of the games you're on the second tier of weapons and defense and my fully equipped Dreadnoughts struggle to take down smaller ships for some reason and I often need three or four Dreadnought fleets to take down a single fleet in one round. This isn't fun anymore, just annoying and extremely tedious.

I actually like this aspect to a degree. Before the expansion, battles took (mostly) less than one encounter for a fleet to be completely destroyed. These better hulls do have a lot more hp and tonnage in conjunction with lower tier weapons make for some cool battles. Perhaps a better balance can be found with more tiers of weapons, but more competitive battles are not a bad thing.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 28, 2013, 1:24:53 AM
Well I see it more like the devs a fulfilling their wish of a space opera, with ships being tankyer then ever we can really dive into the ship xp system, and truly epic battles where century's old ships still cling to life in endless battles against their foes.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 28, 2013, 3:47:24 AM
Ervik wrote:
I did a small rant about this in another thread.

Anyway, I couldn't agree more with those who say that taking options away is never a good thing. There's no customization anymore. Being forced to use the latest tech you've researched breaks the game both for me and the AI. Since I've seen plenty of fleets with no attack power because they are stuck on weapons without the required resource.

Please, just give us back our customization and tech from before, and include it with the new mechanics. This is supposed to be an expansion, not a downgrade with a new gimmick.

Wow, that seems like a pretty massive design oversight, I have to say... Wonder if we can fix that...
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 29, 2013, 2:28:11 AM
Igncom1 wrote:
Whoh whoh whoa....you're complaining about having to take more then one battle to kill an enemy?

That's the best part! Especially when before we could barely get past the first combat phase.

I thinks that's fantastic.

I'd like that too, if people had fewer ships. But there's still tons of fleets running around, and they still like to run away a lot. When you have 20 ships, big battles where ships last a long time and go back and forth is great. When you're trying to fight a guy with 200 ships, you kind of just want them to start dying (particularly if he can build them faster than you can kill them).
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 29, 2013, 2:37:29 AM
Well it is hard to cover much ground with a single fleet.

Hell there are even sifi's where a single planet can have a few hundred ships, let alone a empire.

But yeah it can become a hassle.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 27, 2013, 11:32:14 PM
We could further change the dynamics of weapons over the range's.

For instance:

Long-range: Meteor guns, Photon torpedoes, Capital missiles.

Mid-range: Heavy kinetic cannons, Beams, Rockets.

Melee: Kinetics, Laser streams, Multi missile madness.

And have the techtree further upgrade the distinctiveness of the different range weapons?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 29, 2013, 6:24:18 PM
Some factions have larger ships that decrease the tonnage of fighter bays, like the Hissho are super good with strikecraft.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 29, 2013, 9:59:18 PM
Is it just me or do the largest ship frames die easily/always die get killed first since Disharmony? Have the mechanics of the largest ship frames changed? I can't seem to make the biggest ships useful, being unable to apply decent defenses, attack and/or special abiltiies to them effectively. Making a large fleet of smaller ships seems way better than using any large ships right now.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 29, 2013, 10:23:14 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Some factions have larger ships that decrease the tonnage of fighter bays, like the Hissho are super good with strikecraft.

Yes, some factions. I don't mind at all that - faction characteristics are something I've wanted for ages - but the basic system on which it's built is quite horrifically broken. The Hissho can still have their bonus without having the awful, awful system that has been implemented now.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 1, 2013, 2:16:53 PM
The_Doctor wrote:
Yes, some factions. I don't mind at all that - faction characteristics are something I've wanted for ages - but the basic system on which it's built is quite horrifically broken. The Hissho can still have their bonus without having the awful, awful system that has been implemented now.

so evidentally, I'm not missing anything by playing the classic game with disharmony AI. Good to know. I had a feeling that fighter/bomber play would be gimmicky. Especially since someone can just throw a flak bomb out into space from a capital ship airlock, and you know what you'll get? Lots of dead strike craft and clean skies.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 1, 2013, 9:51:48 PM
Pondera wrote:
so evidentally, I'm not missing anything by playing the classic game with disharmony AI. Good to know. I had a feeling that fighter/bomber play would be gimmicky. Especially since someone can just throw a flak bomb out into space from a capital ship airlock, and you know what you'll get? Lots of dead strike craft and clean skies.

Your comment makes no sense.

Strike craft combat is really good, but their tonnage costs are a little too high.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 1, 2013, 11:01:31 PM
I actually really support obsolete tech being phased out on the following conditions

1. If you lack a required resource you can still use old tech BUT it comes with the penalty in terms of damage dealt. You're not completely up shit creek without anti matter, but your weapons will suffer. (if you need a fluff reason, it could be that enemies have adapted their shields/armor/flak to compensate for new designs and have become perfected for old designs)

2. If you want to use old modules you pay a tonnage and industry surcharge for the obsolete tech. You can still use it but it will be marginal and case by case. EOL stuff is expensive.

The reason I support this is that it adds flavor to the races. If a race has to adapt to not being able to use one weapon type that positions them as weak against some races and stronger against others. You might be less apt to declare war against someone if all you have is kinetic weapons and missiles because you have weaker beam weapons because they have sufficiently strong counters to kinetic and missiles but not beams.

I'd really like to see less entropy towards common designs in ES.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment