Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Less capital ship weapons now?

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Jun 27, 2013, 10:31:35 PM
I was a little disappointed to find that i can't use different range weapons of the same weapon type at a time.

Like having medium and melee range kinetics.

However weapons like melee range missiles when combo'd with fighters are very effective at finishing off en enemy ships, while not totally effective at killing ships straight off.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 27, 2013, 10:35:25 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
I was a little disappointed to find that i can't use different range weapons of the same weapon type at a time.

Like having medium and melee range kinetics.

However weapons like melee range missiles when combo'd with fighters are very effective at finishing off en enemy ships, while not totally effective at killing ships straight off.

Agreed. That and I think having at least 5 tiers of weapons would be better.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 27, 2013, 10:36:17 PM
Ail wrote:
When I first was confronted with the drastical reduction of weapon-levels in the VIP-Beta I was like: WTF? Why did they take out all those weapon-levels?

If you expect me to now say something along the lines of: "But after getting used to it..." I have to disappoint you.

I still think it was a horrible design-choice to reduce the amount of weapons-levels to such a small number.

For most of the game you simply are on Tier 2 and putting more attention to the military-tech-tree feels almost pointless. And if you manage to get to Tier 3 some time before your enemies, you have such a massive edge since they are so much better than the previous. I don't see how this could be considered a good thing from the balancing-point of view.

My opinion:

There should be many tiers of weapons. 10 like before was a good number.

The difference in damage-output/defensive capability between 2 Tiers should be relatively small. Like Tier2=Tier1x1.2, Tier3=Tier2x1.2 and so on.

Weapons and Defenses should not share the same tech!

If you commit to improving one weapon-type it shouldn't be so easy to get the other types.

Allow the player to decide on his own how to best adapt to his opponents.

I think GalCiv2 is a good example how it should be. You could have Level 10 Kinetics, Level 9 Shields and Level 0 for anything else if this was okay to counter your enemies fleets.

Yeah i am sorry to say that but iam very unhappy with the new weapon it was imo also a poor design choice.

Your and Igncoms1 suggestions in my ears far more enjoyable then this... i mean look at the tech tree...everyone will cruise arround with Tier 2 weapons.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 27, 2013, 10:47:25 PM
GruulTapul wrote:
I think the reduction was a step in the right direction, but it was a bit too extreme. I'd be fine with an additional tier or two. So, around 4-5 in total.

I agree with you here and would like to mention that the 3 tiers of weapons makes non militaristic races much better now. Once T2 weapons/def are gotten on both sides, they could essentially beat each other into a stalemate.

GruulTapul wrote:
The main problem is that "T3" will not be obtained in at least 75% of the games anyway, which essentially leaves you with just two levels of weapons, which is probably not enough. Sadly, I think the underlying problem is that you can only unlock two items per technology.

Once a stalemate occurs within the T2 weapon/defense range, Non-military faction will have the upper hand because of the lack of sustained pressure by waring factions. There would be no large down side in pursuing stronger economy/research which could result in out-teching the military factions to T3. Of course, this assumption is lacking player tactics/strategies that could be utilized to gain an upper hand to break a stalemate.

The military tree feels very disorganized at the moment which makes it hard to balance. For instance:

-Two armor modules directly next to each other ( Flawless Mechining [Armor] -> Localized Stasis [Armor])

-Two power modules directly next to each other (Evolved Construction -> Stasis Fields)

-Three power modules within the same research area (Directed Plasma, Evolved Construction, and [slightlylower] Hypermagnetics)

-Evolved Construction's Power module is veryunderwhelming compared to power modules on Directed Plasma and even Hypermagnetics (1 is to the fleet while others to the single ship)

-High Alboedo Alloys and Advanced Countermeasures contain slightly different versions of the same buildings, yet they are not separated such as farther down the tree.

-High Alboedo Alloys and Advanced Countermeasures are dead ends (hard to support researching one and less likely getting both)

Aside from the military tree being disorganized, I think there is ample room within the tree to include another tier of weapons/defenses.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 27, 2013, 10:59:29 PM
its a joke that the Hissho (THE WAR RACE) didnt has a race specific weapon anymore.

Tainted wrote:
I agree with you here and would like to mention that the 3 tiers of weapons makes non militaristic races much better now. Once T2 weapons/def are gotten on both sides, they could essentially beat each other into a stalemate.

Once a stalemate occurs within the T2 weapon/defense range, Non-military faction will have the upper hand because of the lack of sustained pressure by waring factions. There would be no large down side in pursuing stronger economy/research which could result in out-teching the military factions to T3. Of course, this assumption is lacking player tactics/strategies that could be utilized to gain an upper hand to break a stalemate.

The military tree feels very disorganized at the moment which makes it hard to balance. For instance:

-Two armor modules directly next to each other ( Flawless Mechining [Armor] -> Localized Stasis [Armor])

-Two power modules directly next to each other (Evolved Construction -> Stasis Fields)

-Three power modules within the same research area (Directed Plasma, Evolved Construction, and [slightlylower] Hypermagnetics)

-Evolved Construction's Power module is veryunderwhelming compared to power modules on Directed Plasma and even Hypermagnetics (1 is to the fleet while others to the single ship)

-High Alboedo Alloys and Advanced Countermeasures contain slightly different versions of the same buildings, yet they are not separated such as farther down the tree.

-High Alboedo Alloys and Advanced Countermeasures are dead ends (hard to support researching one and less likely getting both)

Aside from the military tree being disorganized, I think there is ample room within the tree to include another tier of weapons/defenses.

agree i hope it will be reorganised with a patch.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 27, 2013, 11:00:16 PM
I have heard your thoughts, faithful Endless Spacers, and fear not, for I am already working on a way to adapt classic weapon code over to the expansion. It will just take a really long time, and I'm not 100% sure the AI will use it. However, aside from that, I've been working with the Imperium Aeturna mod, and have managed to get the planetary expansion terraforming options, and the orbital technologies and structures working again. As an added bonus, I've written a side-mod of my own creation increasing the hero's level cap by just a smidge. (level 50 heroes anyone?). I'll be releasing both of these to the board soon, and the weapon pack will come later once I've worked all the bugs out.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 27, 2013, 11:11:18 PM
Pondera wrote:
You CAN stuff your unarmored frigate with short-range missiles, but why would you want to?

You CAN add 50 long-range kinetic weapons to your battleship, but why would you want to?

The fact of the matter remains that missile weapons are still most effective at long-range, lasers are most effective at mid-range, and kinetics are most effective in short range. And honestly, given how few weapon choices there are, it's easy to grab the research necessary to use every weapon in their original capacity. Nothing has changed except the developers are giving players choices no person in their right mind would do.

I personally enjoy the options because they add more depth to combat. However, your right about the Devs providing no incentive to select them over researching other weapons. In fact, it is kinda mandatory to pick up the other weapon tech for the defenses.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment