Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Change the title of the Horatio malus for clarity

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 30, 2012, 8:05:48 PM
SpaceTroll wrote:
actually we'll made a G2G vote so you guys can select the one you prefer... smiley: smile

(edit: up now)

Heck yeah! Never has a dev response to one of my posts in a video game forum ever elicited quite this level of warm fuzzy feeling.

(I voted "Price of Beauty" btw.)

Thanks!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 30, 2012, 8:29:31 PM
nmarebfly wrote:
Heck yeah! Never has a dev response to one of my posts in a video game forum ever elicited quite this level of warm fuzzy feeling.

Gotta find the right games and the right forums. smiley: smile

I don't often get direct replies from devs, but I have had my issues addressed directly. It's always cool.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 30, 2012, 10:43:01 PM
nmarebfly wrote:

(I voted "Price of Beauty" btw.)

Thanks!

Nice work! Though personally I prefer "Form over Function". ;-)
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 30, 2012, 11:28:22 PM
It feels good to have a dev listen to a suggestion, other alpha/betas I have been a part of the devs just ignore suggestions or post something vaguely condescending about how about how such a suggestion would be impossible to implement or some other excuse that really means they don't want to do anything about the issue.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 30, 2012, 11:58:26 PM
stevenmc409 wrote:
the devs just post something vaguely condescending about how about how such a suggestion would be impossible to implement or some other excuse

You have no idea how often I do this at work. Of course, it's because I'm lazy and the clients are dumbfoxs. The more I bitch to my project manager about how hard it'd be, the more he goes back to the client and says "yeah, no. not unless you pay us more." Which in turn means that the client pushes back less.

For example:

Client wants to be able to "scrub" through a video player (like on youtube) within our application so that the user can go back and listen to something again.

Issue:

Due to video cue points and on-screen information which is not embedded in the video, and which may or may not be visible at any given time, arbitrary rewind/fastforward capability is impossible

(This text is not embedded into the video for very good reasons: the clients tends to change it often, and it's way faster and easier to update if it's just tweaking the text, rather than recompiling the whole video)

Resolution:

We can jump to specific navigation markers and use known information about what on-screen text should be visible at that point in time (i.e. "user jumped to navpoint5, that means objects 1 through 5 are visible, and the rest are invisible").

New issue: now the client wants all of these navigation markers available when the video first loads.

Issue: this is impossible, and all attempts to determine when the navigation marks are within the file and pre-load them fails. I went through several variations of navigating to next cue point, checking the current time, and repeating until the end of the video was reached, then resetting the video and drawing the markers. It worked most of the time, but sometimes it would just fail and there'd be no markers, other times....other times the video would appear to fail to load entirely.

Send back to the client: didn't you want to force them to watch the whole video? if we put those markers in on the timeline up front, they could just skip to the end

Client: oh, that's right. never mind then.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 3:12:15 AM
I've said it before, of all the suggestions we have, the ones that are most like to go through are items already developed, and minor tweaks. This is a minor tweak, just a few changes here and there and its done. But this minor tweak is extremely effective towards lore.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 3:57:23 AM
TheQuad wrote:
"Wasteful Narcissism" sounds like it defines Horatio to a T.

This has my 600 G2G points.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 9:39:44 PM
not much to say, i agree totally. anti-expansionist never made sense from the the lore point of view.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 10:17:38 PM
Imagine first contact with the Horatio

"We are anti-expansionist expansionists."

Totally ridiculous statement.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 10:20:11 PM
Yeah, that line doesn't make sense in their description, but your proposed change solves all of that.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment