Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Change the title of the Horatio malus for clarity

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 3:26:54 AM
Nice and simple, but so on-point!

I like "The Price of Perfection" (instead of Beauty) myself, as it fits my perception of the Horatio to a "T", while both conveying the general idea and sounding like how the Horatio would describe it, but "Form Over Function" is my favorite of those exactly as stated.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 9:00:36 PM
This suggestion was originally from users Splicer and Gruntythirst over on Something Awful, but it's a pretty simple change so I thought I'd suggest it here as well.

Currently, the Horatios are described as 'anti-expansionist' which really makes little sense in terms of their gameplay or lore. With the food bonus from cloning they are effectively the race most focused on quick expansion, only getting beaten by Cravers who are much more warlike in their goals. Their purpose is described as wanting to fill the galaxy with innumerable Horatios, which seems pretty expansionist to me. The actual functional disadvantage is simply that ships are more expensive to build, which is neither here nor there.

So, here's an easy change. Rename the disadvantage to "Unnecessarily Beautified Design" or "Form Over Function" or "The Price of Beauty" or the like. Then it can be clear that they take longer to build ships not because they're hesitant to expand, but because they need more time to inscribe beautiful handcrafted murals of Horatios playing harps on all the corridors -- not to mention all the leather seat covers and fine upscale upholstery.

This also may help explain why their ships are a bit fugly if you happen to be an uncultured philistine.

Edit: "Extreme Aesthetics"? "Wasteful Narcissism"? Feel free to suggest your own!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 9:34:12 AM
demalion wrote:
Nice and simple, but so on-point!

I like "The Price of Perfection" (instead of Beauty) myself, as it fits my perception of the Horatio to a "T", while both conveying the general idea and sounding like how the Horatio would describe it, but "Form Over Function" is my favorite of those exactly as stated.

I think for Horatio, Perfection and Beauty are one and the same; anything that isn't beautiful isn't perfect, so for them that'd be true. For us, though, I think calling it "The Price of Beauty" helps communicate the idea better, since "Perfection" implies that the ships are objectively/statistically better, while "Beauty" makes it clear that they're just prettier.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 11:28:47 AM
Yeah I like them to be expansionist. There would be another name for their negative trait. Like... I don't know..something about spending too much time on ships before sending it out of the shipyard? Because time is money?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 11:56:31 AM
I think also that an anti expansionist is not able to be on one level with the other factions.

Building more expensive ships on the other side is not such a big problem.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 2:09:14 PM
"Wasteful Narcissism" for sure. The original "anti-expansionist" just sounds a bit stupid given their lore.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 3:59:23 PM
TheQuad wrote:
"Wasteful Narcissism" sounds like it defines Horatio to a T.

I think we know what the winning title is going to be if it comes to a vote....
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 6:02:34 PM
The description needs to be neutral - words like "wasteful" "narcissism" and "stupidly" are clearly passing judgement.

I'd go with "Extreme Aesthetics".
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 6:36:46 PM
It is a malus, so negative connotations are not all together unnecessary. I still go with Extreme Aesthetics, but Wasteful Narcissism is just as good.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 9:28:31 PM
SirCannonFodder wrote:
I think for Horatio, Perfection and Beauty are one and the same; anything that isn't beautiful isn't perfect, so for them that'd be true. For us, though, I think calling it "The Price of Beauty" helps communicate the idea better, since "Perfection" implies that the ships are objectively/statistically better, while "Beauty" makes it clear that they're just prettier.

My thinking is that someone extremely vain (cloning yourself to form an empire seems like it more than qualifies) would be thinking in terms of "Perfection" for any object created by them through a process and design, which could certainly include beauty, but why would it be limited to it? I don't think being objectively better necessarily has anything to do with at all, which is what I meant about fitting my perception of Horatio...I don't think Horatio limits their view of themselves to just "beautiful", but things like smart, and various ways heading towards "better".

Now, someone else might take issue with the usage of Perfection for something that they find odd looking and not performing better in ways they can perceive, but then again some players might take issue (I've seen them smiley: wink ) with the term "Beauty" as applied to the Horatio ships.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 3:09:49 AM
I had a thought on this earlier.

"Excessive Bureaucracy." The red tape gets in the way and everything costs 20% more.

The inverse would be "Relaxed (Safety) Regulations." Ships only need to be airtight on the bridge! Everyone else goes into the deep freeze! 20% cheaper ships! Heyo!

Now it's a race-neutral thing and we can reassign "anti-expansionalist" and "pro-expansionalist" to modifying the overpopulation disapproval rating.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment