Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Change the title of the Horatio malus for clarity

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 28, 2012, 12:21:34 AM
thegreedyturtle wrote:
Scrapping any ship should probably give something back. Not sure why it doesn't right now, but TBH the scrap/upgrade ships is really clunky at the minute. I should probably be able to retrofit a ship with industry instead of the giant wads of cash currently required. Or maybe it's not giant wads of cash and I just play my taxes too close to the boundary line or something.
If it took Industry to retrofit then what would really be the point of it? Just build a new ship from scrap then.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 8:31:14 AM
"Painting a Horatio, painting a Horatio, painting a Horatio.... on every ship"

*We'd of course need official art work to go with the change, i'm thinking a captain sitting in the Horatio chair looking at one of these paintings
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 9:38:57 AM
TheQuad wrote:
"Wasteful Narcissism" sounds like it defines Horatio to a T.

This defines so many things on so many levels.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 9:42:23 AM
You don't get the point.

The ships are handcrafted.

Hand. Crafted smiley: stickouttongue

So it well takes some time.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 11:28:46 AM
VieuxChat wrote:
You don't get the point.

The ships are handcrafted.

Hand. Crafted smiley: stickouttongue

So it well takes some time.

This is is a good pitch for reselling ships.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 11:30:24 AM
Yeah ! Scraping Horatio ships should give Dust in exchange (think black market for art goods)
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 6:34:07 PM
VieuxChat wrote:
Yeah ! Scraping Horatio ships should give Dust in exchange (think black market for art goods)

Scrapping any ship should probably give something back. Not sure why it doesn't right now, but TBH the scrap/upgrade ships is really clunky at the minute. I should probably be able to retrofit a ship with industry instead of the giant wads of cash currently required. Or maybe it's not giant wads of cash and I just play my taxes too close to the boundary line or something.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 7:51:23 PM
Arghy wrote:
"Painting a Horatio, painting a Horatio, painting a Horatio.... on every ship"

*We'd of course need official art work to go with the change, i'm thinking a captain sitting in the Horatio chair looking at one of these paintings

Reminds me of Planepacked. I would post the description, but it contains 73 images on itself on it as well as the entire history of the world.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 9:11:37 PM
I'ma ditto "Wasteful Narcissism" as it's kind of Horatio's whole theme as well.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 3:53:52 AM
Draco18s wrote:
I had a thought on this earlier.

"Excessive Bureaucracy." The red tape gets in the way and everything costs 20% more.

The inverse would be "Relaxed (Safety) Regulations." Ships only need to be airtight on the bridge! Everyone else goes into the deep freeze! 20% cheaper ships! Heyo!

This makes sense, but more for created races than the base ones. I suppose there could be a lot of middle management Horatios, but I prefer the idea that they insist that every ship be a work of art and art cannot be rushed. Just seems to fit with their character more!

OthobRithol wrote:
The description needs to be neutral - words like "wasteful" "narcissism" and "stupidly" are clearly passing judgement.

I'd go with "Extreme Aesthetics".

True to a point, but the Hisshio have "Space Cadets" which is pretty insulting. Sophons are described as feeble warriors. Heck, maybe the Horatio should just be "Navel Gazers"?

I think I might be leaning towards "Wasteful Aesthetics" which is sort of the best of both worlds. "Aesthetes" might be good, because it's not insulting per se. I should probably make a poll.

As an aside, I think I got the murals thought from the Emergent civilization in Vernor Vinge's A Deepness in the Sky. The use a lot of idiot-savant slave labor for intricate crystal carving.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
May 30, 2012, 1:25:17 PM
The two op suggestions, Price of Beauty or Form over Function both suit the intended malus in my opinion. Both are short and easy to understand - and everyone knows how "pretty" Horatio's ships are. lol
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment