Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Isolated systems, not connected by lanes

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 9:44:06 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Here i saw an enemy colony by seeing it with my scout, but the way it reveals doesn't give me any way to prove i didn't actually go there. smiley: frown

It's an outpost under the influence of a colony, therefore the colony is revealed. See previous exception. Note how you CANNOT see the red giant system, despite it ALSO being within your sensor radius.

QED
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 10:49:12 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
If you won't, I probably will.

Btw.: I'm disappointed, that this had no mindbreaking effect. smiley: stickouttongue

Well i do know some things. Sometimes smiley: sarcastic.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 10:46:32 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Well not being able to spot fleets would be really...problematic.

I should make a suggestion?

If you won't, I probably will.

Btw.: I'm disappointed, that this had no mindbreaking effect. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 10:34:45 PM

I should make a suggestion?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 10:33:19 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Is that a good or bad alert? smiley: confused

Depends. Basically the reasoning is: If you can spot enemy fleets in systems, you should also be able to spot planets, if they're inhabited, at least when there's enough population and not just a camp in some jungle.

Either you should be able to do both or neither.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 10:23:24 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
Realism alert!

Trick question: If you can spot an enemy fleet in an orbit, can you spot buildings floating in a planet's orbit, television/radio frequency broadcasts, inter-system transport vessels, possible asteroid mining fleets and arriving/departing trade vessels? smiley: wink

Is that a good or bad alert? smiley: confused
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 10:15:16 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Then fair enough.

You think it should be changed so sensors can reveal systems?

Realism alert!

Trick question: If you can spot an enemy fleet in an orbit, can you spot buildings floating in a planet's orbit, television/radio frequency broadcasts, inter-system transport vessels, possible asteroid mining fleets and arriving/departing trade vessels? smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 10:10:20 PM
Then fair enough.

You think it should be changed so sensors can reveal systems?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 10:07:51 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
The colony is revealed because i am at their colony? doesn't seem right.

Their colony was revealed because the system your ship is in is under the influence of that colony (and the system you are in is an outpost).

I don't know if unclaimed systems exhibit the same behavior (i.e. simply being under the influence radius). Just that I've never seen it happen.

And there is no outpost or colony at the red giant.

And that is why it was not revealed. Which was my point all along.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 10:00:35 PM
The colony is revealed because i am at their colony? doesn't seem right.

And there is no outpost or colony at the red giant.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 11:25:28 PM
Igncom1 wrote:

As ships can't turn around in lanes, sensors are largely meaningless. Either you're already headed there, in which case knowing that there's a fleet waiting for you is no more good to you than showing up and being attacked by surprise.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 6:21:00 PM
Draco18s wrote:
Again:

It's really easy to prove/disprove. Get a scout ship to move towards a revealed, but not explored system (say, 1 movement point shy).

The only other method of revealing/exploring planets beyond the lanes (and sending a ship into the system) is if the unknown system's colony's influence circle overlaps an outpost. If that occurs, then the unknown system is instantly revealed and explored.

Here i saw an enemy colony by seeing it with my scout, but the way it reveals doesn't give me any way to prove i didn't actually go there. smiley: frown

Not really. Lore-wise you'd only put down space lanes between habitable systems, and a system that's off the lanes doesn't have any habitable planets. There are billions and billions of stars in the galaxy that aren't colonizable, how would your sensors discover them? The data you'd have to sift through would be MASSIVE.

Well in RL we can look at the gas type of planets while they pass over the sun, giving us the ability to see if they might be habitable.

And most races start the game not being able to colony anything but Terran, Ocean and Jungle. so there are plenty of systems that are not colonizable at the beginning of any game.

Also, if races can make star lanes, then why in game are we bound by their formation?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 5:49:21 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Yep I am wrong, but you can reveal the system details if you if get better sensors nearby, this i am almost certain of.

Again:

It's really easy to prove/disprove. Get a scout ship to move towards a revealed, but not explored system (say, 1 movement point shy).

The only other method of revealing/exploring planets beyond the lanes (and sending a ship into the system) is if the unknown system's colony's influence circle overlaps an outpost. If that occurs, then the unknown system is instantly revealed and explored.

Igncom1 wrote:
But it seems a little strange that you can't reveal system locations via sensors.

Not really. Lore-wise you'd only put down space lanes between habitable systems, and a system that's off the lanes doesn't have any habitable planets. There are billions and billions of stars in the galaxy that aren't colonizable, how would your sensors discover them? The data you'd have to sift through would be MASSIVE.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 4:48:47 PM
Yep I am wrong, but you can reveal the system details if you if get better sensors nearby, this i am almost certain of.

But it seems a little strange that you can't reveal system locations via sensors.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 4:41:04 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
ok give me some time, i need to start up the game. smiley: stickouttongue

And nice gif. lol

I yoinked it from an RPG forum I'm on. It's frequently invoked when someone states that "the rule book says X" and people are like "sure it does, give me a book and page number."
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 4:27:08 PM
ok give me some time, i need to start up the game. smiley: stickouttongue

And nice gif. lol
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 4:23:46 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Yes they do, you just need to cover the system to reveal it.

I was editing my post to take your reply into account, as it was on the second page.

0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 4:22:40 PM
Yes they do, you just need to cover the system to reveal it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 4:19:49 PM
Just FYI, as sensors do not reveal system locations (new stars to travel to are only revealed by lanes), such isolated systems could never be discovered.

Igncom1 wrote:
vyolin wrote:
Is it possible for scouts to spot systems that have no lane connection to where the scout is positioned? If that is the case I wouldn't mind some isolated systems in each players starting area. Would keep the exploration aspect strong for a longer time.

Yep you can. smiley: wink

0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 4:02:25 PM
vyolin wrote:
Is it possible for scouts to spot systems that have no lane connection to where the scout is positioned? If that is the case I wouldn't mind some isolated systems in each players starting area. Would keep the exploration aspect strong for a longer time.

Yep you can. smiley: wink
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment