Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Isolated systems, not connected by lanes

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 3:47:16 PM
adder wrote:
I think he just means that the chances are higher that you discover a planet orbiting a start then spotting a space ship orbiting a planet you didn't discover yet.

I think, once you can see a ship stop somewhere at a undiscovered star system, the game should reveal the location, but not the planets inside that star system.

that way you know there's one there and you can travel to it (on whatever way of traveling) and then when you arrive, you know what planets there are and the amount.

I still feel like sensors should reveal the location, and possible who's there if there is influence being emitted from it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 1, 2013, 4:31:38 AM
This is a great idea and mabey there could be a new improvement for systems that reveals hidden systems in a certain radius around the planet. With that improvement the time and radius of the of the search would be dependant on the ammount of science the planet with the improvement had.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 31, 2012, 2:32:48 PM
+many from me!

Great idea, would really add to immersion. Imo adding life and imersive little stories to the game is really important, would definitely be a priority for me.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 31, 2012, 7:17:51 AM
Great idea. I would love to see some maps with totally disconnected systems, and maybe even an additional research that allows auto-explore to go and find them slowly. Would be slow and expensive of course, but if the planets found were special it would be a great trade-off.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 7, 2012, 10:40:31 PM
Draco18s wrote:
Not really. Lore-wise you'd only put down space lanes between habitable systems, and a system that's off the lanes doesn't have any habitable planets. There are billions and billions of stars in the galaxy that aren't colonizable, how would your sensors discover them? The data you'd have to sift through would be MASSIVE.
I've never really thought of it that way. That's a nice little fix for the question of why there are so few systems in an entire galaxy, even if the ratio of colonizable to non-colonizable systems is very unrealistic.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 4:47:05 PM
AH may bad x( when I clicked this thread it sent me to 4th page so I thought that was the date it was created. wasn't really paying attention there, 2am also - must be tired xD
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 4:13:27 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
Well, to discover a planet (at least with the methods we know) takes a few years of datataking with a telescope, bet space based, pointed at a star.

On the other hand the use of a FTL drive might have a unique signature that every FTL race might distinguish and easily recognize. smiley: stickouttongue

That's why I thought that an FTL jump to a position would be "easily" discovered and that you could assume the existence of a star system there.

Because I don't think discovering a star system will get alot easier then it is today.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 4:09:05 PM
adder wrote:
I think he just means that the chances are higher that you discover a planet orbiting a start then spotting a space ship orbiting a planet you didn't discover yet.

I think, once you can see a ship stop somewhere at a undiscovered star system, the game should reveal the location, but not the planets inside that star system.

that way you know there's one there and you can travel to it (on whatever way of traveling) and then when you arrive, you know what planets there are and the amount.

Well, to discover a planet (at least with the methods we know) takes a few years of datataking with a telescope, bet space based, pointed at a star.

On the other hand the use of a FTL drive might have a unique signature that every FTL race might distinguish and easily recognize. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 3:06:25 PM
Love it, some good ideas here. I tend to think anyway that even when I set the galaxy to huge it somehow doesn't feel huge, which perhaps is because it suddenly just ends towards the edges rather than here and there containing some additional hidden systems etc. Even having galaxies connect would be a nice idea, creating a huuuuge battlefield... smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 3:45:53 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
The problem is not to see a star, but a planet around that star.

Otherwise I'd have a serious problem with only 200 systems in a few hundred billion stars per galaxy.

I always thought the the game only gave us a very small cluster to play in, and the layout and Galaxy background was just for fun.

Thus explaining it. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 3:44:37 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:

Otherwise I'd have a serious problem with only 200 systems in a few hundred billion stars per galaxy.

0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 3:35:34 PM
Waylander1982 wrote:
As far as realism goes, or even just playability, it should be more likely that you'll see a star than it would be that you'd see the fleets in a star system.

0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 3:28:30 PM
As far as realism goes, or even just playability, it should be more likely that you'll see a star than it would be that you'd see the fleets in a star system.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 3:19:44 PM
Wenchbane wrote:
Wasn't this idea already posted in the Bringing life to the galaxy post, where Steph'nie asked for ideas? I'm pretty sure this idea was posted there, extra systems which could be explored that are out of normal reach.

I don't get your point, because the suggestion is as old as 21. of may and Steph'nie asked for ideas in july.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 2:02:38 PM
Wasn't this idea already posted in the Bringing life to the galaxy post, where Steph'nie asked for ideas? I'm pretty sure this idea was posted there, extra systems which could be explored that are out of normal reach.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment