Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Isolated systems, not connected by lanes

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 11:37:15 AM
Is it possible for scouts to spot systems that have no lane connection to where the scout is positioned? If that is the case I wouldn't mind some isolated systems in each players starting area. Would keep the exploration aspect strong for a longer time.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 20, 2012, 4:37:41 PM
Why shouldn't you be able to see them?

If you cant travel there, a strategy might involve getting to them ASAP if you know your not winning the original system race.

I see them like the Americas in a game of CIV, you can't get there till you research the technology to travel there, leading to a mid-late game colonization war.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 20, 2012, 3:00:18 PM
Well we would have the perfect bases for the Pirates.

So my suggestion would be to do it as follows.

the systems do not appear on the map until you discover the technology to move without warp lanes. The systems should be hard to crack. We could turn this into a "remnants" type scenario where the pirates are the descendants of one of the old races who cut themselves off from the rest of us. Then, to prevent discovery they kept whooping up on new races trying to keep them down and out. To put the threat in there they would move more on races close to or having discovered the tech necessary to find them
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 20, 2012, 2:04:02 PM
I like it, and it seems like a natural evolution. Early game, wormholes represent areas you can't travel too. Later game isolated systems would require warp drive.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 20, 2012, 1:46:21 PM
+1 smiley: approval from me too

Its added well to the lore of the game. Long forgoten planet of the endless (Homeworld perhaps? the one the pilgrims search) with hidden mysteries like (someone else mentioned it) Orion.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 20, 2012, 1:40:23 PM
A neat idea, the thougth of dead worlds orbiting brown dwarfs in the interstellar gulf in between constellations, perhaps home to pirates or space monstrosities?
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 7:38:28 AM
i think it would be a great feature to have hidden starsystems not conected by starlane to any otherer system located in cosmic clouds for example to be use a secret forwardbases or as normals colony after you tech is high enough and you send out seceiliced ships to scout for them. here could be a achievment and bonus for the race who finds the most as well as diffrent race bonuses and ablity to find such gems. they could be located right between the xisting systems or may a bit far outer of the standard galaxy placment.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 19, 2012, 3:04:47 PM
Same, looked through the list of ideas and didn't find this. Oh well.

As far plotting your own I suspect that would require major changes to how movement is calculated in game, but simply "stealthing" the systems with a specific tech, or ship mod being able to "see" them would let them appear on the map much like star systems are found in normal exploration. Not as exciting as going spelunking off in the wilds, but I would bet easier to implement in game right now. Or it could be tied into the event system and be the way that gets scaled into something more interesting.

An for whole extra galaxies we could throw in an endless mode, conquer your galaxy and have a new one with new challenges appear. Although I suspect that would probably be an expansion related update since that would need the galaxy/world creation to be able to happen while a game is going on which I bet isn't in the code at this time. The simpler implementation of a second galaxy or constellation however is probably very doable.

+1 to both concepts and my own extra two cents.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 16, 2012, 4:56:51 PM
Trekner wrote:
well might as well add the idear of entire constellations not connected by lanes/strings or wormholes...

ie instead of only having the option to play the colliding galaxies map you can play maps with several galaxies

um sorry didnt find this one after 2 searched

No worries. You actually made the effort of searching and that's more than most seem to have done. smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 16, 2012, 4:28:39 PM
well might as well add the idear of entire constellations not connected by lanes/strings or wormholes...

ie instead of only having the option to play the colliding galaxies map you can play maps with several galaxies

um sorry didnt find this one after 2 searched
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 16, 2012, 4:16:01 PM
This thread is the origin of discussions about including isolated systems.

Other threads about this have been archived:

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13750-non-stringed-systems-constellations

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13776-suggestion-objects-and-planetary-systems-off-the-beaten-path

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13973-warp-exclusive-systems

Feel free to post here about this topic here and inform yourself about the variations the threads listed above have already discussed, but don't open new suggestion threads for anything alike. smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 4:23:19 PM
Photon_Ventdesdunes wrote:
It's a end game research but can be a good motivation to rush it to find other system you couldn't reach otherwise.

It's not so much endgame if you play Sophons or almost any other race in a big galaxy.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 9:08:47 AM
It's a end game research but can be a good motivation to rush it to find other system you couldn't reach otherwise.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 7:54:05 AM
Calico wrote:
Dyson Sphere, Alderon Disk, Globus Cassus to name a few.

Like a sorts of Ark from the Halo series even. I too have thought about 'hidden' systems. Perhaps only noticeable when you begin avoiding phase lanes. (Can't remember the term or associated research required)
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment