Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Hotseat

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 15, 2012, 8:06:32 PM
smiley: approval !

I've actually always thought of this as a must for all turn-based strategy games. I see this hasn't been implemented in the beta yet though, so I thought I'd check out whether there's been any talk of it here on the forums.

Hotseat is mainly how I like to play these kinds of games - socially, with beer and friend or two. It would be a real shame if this wasn't included in the final release or at least a later patch/expansion.

I'm enjoying the game a lot otherwise. smiley: smile

*EDIT: I see that another player has already suggested this in another multiplayer-related thread. I haven't found any other thread specifically about the implementation of hotseat multiplayer though.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 16, 2012, 12:22:14 AM
The type of gameplay that Endless Space has (simultaneous turn-based) would make it difficult. I don't see it as necessary at all, but if the dev team have a lot of spare time (which they don't) then I don't see why not.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 16, 2012, 7:52:49 AM
Civilization is simultaneous turn-based, no? It still has hotseat.

In any case, sad to hear that this would require a lot of additional work to implement. Would be great though.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 16, 2012, 9:24:03 AM
plosnati wrote:
Civilization is simultaneous turn-based, no? It still has hotseat.

In any case, sad to hear that this would require a lot of additional work to implement. Would be great though.

No, no it isn't. People take turns.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 17, 2012, 1:13:36 PM
The way I see the game, you can manually move your ships "in your turn" or set up your waypoint, end your turn and the ships then move all at once. So hotseat still seems a viable option

Of course hotseat probably puts devs off because it means potentially selling less copies, but I'm unlikely to buy 2 copies as I only have 1 PC in the house and I imagine many are in the same boat
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 17, 2012, 9:54:36 PM
Er, for folks like me who aren't normally up on TBS games (Endless Space is a delightful exception!), what exactly is "Hotseat"?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 17, 2012, 11:15:30 PM
Hot Seat is when 2 or more people sit in front of one computer and take turns playing the game. Plus, I don't see why not, but I don't really see myself ever playing it that way, so unless this is really easy to implement, I think there are better things the devs could be working on. But I'm not opposed to the idea.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 18, 2012, 3:59:14 AM
I can't imagine setting up a hotseat option would take much devtime, especially since this is THE way I play these games (usually Play-by-email) This is an absolute must and has to be in the game. Many people will buy this game expecting PBE and Hotseat, and will be bitterly dejected when they see it is not there. This game is actually a turn-based game, not a simultaneous turn game, EXCEPT the combat (as far as I can tell). Excluding the combat, I do my turn, you do yours. Basically, PBE and Hotseat should be allowed, just automatically make all combats auto, which, due to the byzantine nature of combat as it is, I do anyways. Even if the game, somewhere deep in the mechanics, is a simultanous affair, I've played simulataneous games hotseat, it's not hard to program. Simply have Player one put his inputs in; Player 2 puts his imputs, then hit go and see what happens; it's been done before. I don't know the code for the game, but I'd imagine setting up a bare-bones, auto-combat Hotseat option so that we have it wouldn't require much programming time, and I'd imagine that you risk alienating ALOT of fans if this option is not there. I got this game to play solo, yes, but also to play PBE and Hotseat, and would be very disappointing if there wasn't the option. Even if I would be 'dumbing down' the gameplay by eliminating the awkward combat in order to do so, at least give me the option.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 13, 2012, 10:42:47 PM
Being a turn based game and with many of us probably having fond memories of games such as Master of Orion 2, the Civilization games, and the Heroes games this would be an incredibly nice and hopefully fairly easy thing to include. While I know most people want to play solo vs ai or online only, there is still a special place in many peoples' hearts for a good oldschool hotseat all night marathon.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 19, 2012, 6:51:17 PM
Totally agree that this should be implemented. It's so much easier to get someone to also buy the game, when you can just have them play a game with you... on your system. (sure you could let them play alone, but where's the fun in that?)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 19, 2012, 8:03:13 PM
This is an interesting discussion, I hope one of the dev's can explain some more about their feelings for this.

As I see it this would be a great add-on, and I think (I'm not sure at all) it wouldn't take that much time.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 19, 2012, 10:47:58 PM
Ah. I have such fond memories of hotseat games. Good times!

I would love to see hotseat implemented. But I would be surprised if they did. Fewer and fewer games are including the option in this internet age. Even in the 4X genre.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 21, 2012, 9:50:41 AM
Yep! Definately a Must-Have!

Maybe a little bit difficult due to this strange simulataneous turn design - but hey, someone (either the Devs or some good Modders) will figure it out.

I'm not expecting it at release - but let's say approx. 4-6 months after would be nice.

You'd really make an old MOO2-Hotseat-Fan happy!
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 21, 2012, 2:32:56 PM
plosnati wrote:
*EDIT: I see that another player has already suggested this in another multiplayer-related thread. I haven't found any other thread specifically about the implementation of hotseat multiplayer though.

I'm pretty sure we rejected the "play by email" suggestion"; I even replied with a mean comment (sowwwy :fatsmiley: smile. I had never even heard of it, and SpaceTroll had to explain it to me. smiley: biggrin

As for the hotseat suggestion, in the case of Endless Space: simultaneous turns, it wouldn't be possible, unless we rethink the combat system... Also, I found an old post by Max:

skamaks wrote:
Hey guys,

we know how cool a hotseat mode can be, Spacetroll and I worked on the Heroes of Might & Magic series and Hotseat is a religion for that game!

It's not planned yet for the game and won't be ready for the release but it's now added to the list of potential improvements of the game smiley: wink

Not sure if the hotseat suggestion got an official answer from us though (in the updated list): will need to check with Romain.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 21, 2012, 6:42:34 PM
It sounds like some of us would be fine with 100% auto combat for hotseat, and that question wasn't even really asked yet. I obviously don't speak for everyone here, but even if it's not completely fair in someway, like if the AI all go during the first players turn, I'd still love the ability to play with friends on the same computer.

I know it's a niche crowd that wants hotseat, but we'd all love you guys for it.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment