I like this idea, but feel it could be improved
I don't like this idea, but feel it could be improved
I don't like this idea
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 4:56:39 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
. I have never seen a 4X space game with the level of orbital development I am suggesting. smiley: smile

What about SoTS 2 it has quite a few orbital upgrades, as well as defiance based items as well. I mean you can build space stationa that increase building or R&D. As well as orbital hangers for system defiance.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 4:53:40 PM
Well the suggestion was an overall improvement to a factions system by moving everything into orbit, it wasn't really meant as a purely defensive measure more the idea of industrialized and urbanizing space.

I fully expect more actual defensive upgrades to make it in so this was more of a system wide, immediately available upgrade to everything the system does over defenses.

These upgrades would act as a way for a faction to set the base needed for heavy space development, like space based defenses.

I personally see terraforming as a late game way of maximizing the planets you own, this would follow suit but being more of a total class upgrade, going from a colony to something entirely new and exciting to see. I have never seen a 4X space game with the level of orbital development I am suggesting. smiley: smile

and once again, thanks for showing interest!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 5, 2012, 5:41:58 PM
Waylander1982 wrote:
In which case Moons themselves would need a significant buff for balance to be maintained.

I'd be against the idea of them being any more useful than Moons, in fact I'd go so far as to say that comparatively a moon should always be more useful.

Yep, make them half as good as a moon but allow them to have the bonuses of moon benefiting structures, without the cost.

And rational for not building them at wolds with moons....why not? Moon present worlds get boosted an extra 50%! But most improvements are for systems anyway, so it could be a thing to do with security or the need of a star that limits it to 1, possibly then getting boosted from every world, moon or otherwise.

There are a lot of ideas, but the thing I want you to think is how it adds to the game other then the cool concept?

Is it simply for getting moon boosts to every world? Or does it have its own benefit that gives it reason for construction (Like leeching science from other empires, or unlocking endless ship enhancements, boosting ships built in the system to have x3 the hp).

smiley: wink
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 2, 2013, 5:31:51 AM
seconded, this idea so far is very interesting, however.... level four stations seem SLIGHTLY overpowered IMO unless they are tier-10 technologies, by then it's kind of late...

Also, I think that these stations are too specialized to be lumped into a single improvement. Another option could be a logical extension to the moons system by constructing improvements like planetary exploitations on moons and other similar objects orbiting a planet. This would allow for:

-Multiple moons,

-Specializing moons to do things other than just randomly finding endless temples and the occasional improvement (3 so far I think...) that affects moons.

-Space stations are a possibility, which would add a "moon slot" with which to tinker with and add more FIDS, population, defense, and possibly approval, maybe with an inherent bonus to something.

-The ringworlds and halos? Possibly tier-9 or 10 terraforming technology given how much resources are required to build one... Practically need to eat the planet itself to build one.

Of course, these are just more suggestions that could be added. Any feedback?

Also, Hello Amplitude Forums!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 18, 2013, 3:13:13 PM
I'd like to add my voice to those that think this is a good idea...
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 15, 2012, 1:28:17 PM
Really good idea, I would like to see it in the game... There are already some mods that deal with this problem... partially only so far but I would love to see it in-game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 12, 2012, 5:19:23 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Step 4 Halos and Rings:

+100% Defense, +30% dust, +30% Science, +1 Invasion Recovery, +50% trade, +2 Population.

Your empire builds what the Endless could only dream, massive orbiting rings that encircle worlds, structure so big that even military invasion of planets now comes second to that of the orbiting super-structures, the magnificence of such structures brings much dust and science from tourism and trade, now your empire has the capability to build such colossal structures it is unlikely that your opponents will stand in your way for long!

(Thank you for your time!) (Numbers are never set in stone, and I am terrible at balance).

Sounds like someones been playing halo. lol

A very good idea nonetheless.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 12, 2012, 2:57:28 PM
Space stations is a very good idea. I wonder why the game doesn't have them. (Even with a current level tech Earth has a space station)

The last step could be a Dyson sphere.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 2, 2012, 5:25:40 PM
Hmm, dunno how I did it, but I missed this thread completely. Now to your thread.

I support it, I especially like the idea to improve them in steps, halos and rings, that would be awesome, aswell as space station or whole space cities. The numbers as mentioned would need some tweaking, aswell how many of those you could do aswell. But basically I really like it. smiley: approval
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 2, 2012, 3:15:22 AM
Igncom1 wrote:
I would even go as far as for the cravers to treat them as roman style auxiliaries, after all just because they are space locust doesn't make them evil.

At least, not in their eyes....

Locust Borg? No villainous or hateful reason behind it, they just don't understand that you can interact with things in ways other than eating or assimilating it. Similar to a very young child when it finds a spider and just starts pulling it apart, then tries to eat it when it didn't learn anything by dissection.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 4:29:59 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
It was designed with 'turtling' in mind, and is certainly not an option if you want to expand and conquer the universe, you don't have the time to build more then a couple of level 2's if you want to keep up with production.

To an extent, the colonization branch already supports that option by allowing terraforming and the removal of anomalies. But most military defense measures (large orbital cannons, an EMP field, etc.) wouldn't logically beef up FIDS production. Turtling will also become more viable if building planets / systems is ever actually approved. >.>

My point is that I think there should be different types of improvements which allow system specialization. So I want defensive improvements, but I think they should be separate from FIDS ones. Lack of specialization is already a major complaint of mine against current system improvements.

Igncom1 wrote:
If you have any ideas, suggestions or thoughts please say! smiley: wink And thanks for stopping by!

No problem smiley: smile.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 5, 2012, 5:33:12 PM
In which case Moons themselves would need a significant buff for balance to be maintained.

I'd be against the idea of them being any more useful than Moons, in fact I'd go so far as to say that comparatively a moon should always be more useful.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 5, 2012, 5:25:47 PM
Thanks Igncom1.

As suggested in my own post, Space Stations could be a replacement for moons. But there is two issues. First, I can't think of any rationale not to have a space station on a planet with a moon. Second, I don't see any rationale for not having multiple space stations per planet (on the other hand, planet could have several moons too - this is usually the case, even Pluto has several satellites (five so far)).

Anyway. Food for thoughts.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 5, 2012, 5:13:55 PM
davidlatapie wrote:
If the poll was not closed, I would vote for the idea smiley: smile

Sorry about that, if I could reopen it I would.

Feel free to ponder ideas and the like however, and thanks for your support. smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 5, 2012, 5:11:25 PM
If the poll was not closed, I would vote for the idea smiley: smile. The Dysan swarm (or sphere; there is nothing a mix of handwavium and unobtainium cannot do) would be level 5 upgrade, I'd say.

Of course, they're should be graphics accordingly (by the way, I love that planet of the same type do not look identical; this is particularly striking for Eathlike) smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 10, 2012, 9:03:09 AM
Tiggy wrote:
this is an excellent idea and i hope it makes it into one of the free addons coming soon , i do hope it would also include a visual representation around the planets if they do have one of these stations/megastations/rings, think it would be pretty sweet :-P

True that! smiley: stickouttongueower:
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 9, 2012, 2:49:17 PM
Tiggy wrote:
this is an excellent idea and i hope it makes it into one of the free addons coming soon , i do hope it would also include a visual representation around the planets if they do have one of these stations/megastations/rings, think it would be pretty sweet :-P

Hell yeah!
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment