Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Building Planets

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 8:34:45 PM
This thing popped into my mind on my last play as I found myself in a corner with only 3 systems before wormholes, and as the game went on it was clear that those 3 systems were all I would get just by expanding. So here's what I thought, what if I could make extra "planets" to these systems I have now?

I mean that it would be cool to be able to build extra "planets"(these would be Space Stations with like max 3 pop, with no food/production/dust and some tech.) Having this feature would make Turtling tactics more usable, and also if you're playing as a peace loving civilization and want to win this could be option for you. Of course these Space Stations would count to the max amount of planets which would be capped to the 6(or is it 5?).

The tech from which you would get this ability would come from right or down tree and would be available around in the middle of that tree, so if you really need it you can rush it, but the production cost for these Space Stations should be quite high(and the Space Stations should be worse than any normal planet), so building them would be sensible only in otherwise fully developed system.

what do you think?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 8:44:28 PM
Maybe instead of a "planet" being built, player could construct a space station of some sort? Would make more sense.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 8:46:17 PM
TBH, to build a planet, you'd need all the resources from many planets. It would seem pointless, IMO. Whereas building a space station as suggested above sounds interesting. It could allow for a more diverse play style.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 11:38:02 PM
Would love the ability of building a space station. Should be something unique to them though. Maybe somekind of high sience, or high production since all theory points to production cost being cheaper in zero gravity? I dunno.. Would just love to see a space station on the planet list smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 11:55:24 PM
ericvruder wrote:
Would love the ability of building a space station. Should be something unique to them though. Maybe somekind of high sience, or high production since all theory points to production cost being cheaper in zero gravity? I dunno.. Would just love to see a space station on the planet list smiley: smile

I was thinking of that also, but just getting an extra "planet" is a great advantage in itself. so dunno.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 2:07:06 AM
ericvruder wrote:

I agree with this idea. The space stations should be able to be specialized between, food, production, or science, not dust though because I would assume that the races would "clean" the parts of dust before it was built. Maybe as a negative they would have a high dust, food (If its not food specialized), or production (if its not production specialized) upkeep cost and each of the specializations would have to be researched. So, a player planning on turtling would have to spend early game research time getting these while the other players are working other paths.

Oh, and maybe you could build defensive space fortresses to increase a systems defense and it could fight off/ damage the invading fleet. Or a space dry dock that could only produce ships but it would decrease cost and built times.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 2:28:06 AM
The space station can be 'specialized' in the form of its exploitation, all of which should be buildable on such a station. I would suggest giving the thing a FIDS line of 0 Food, 0 Dust, 1 Production, and 2 Science. Any exploitation should be buildable - hydroponic farms and financial corporations are more than possible in space stations.

This FIDS line is worse than any 'found' planet, but such major space complexes would still be valuable in marginal systems, especially once you've got lots of FIDS boosters.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 2:40:59 AM
I would like to be able to build planets, and to convert the local sun into an Dyson Sphere. Sure, it may take quite a bit of resources and technology, but I simply enjoy making the galaxy an more useful place. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 6:04:01 AM
VitunSuoPaska wrote:
This thing popped into my mind on my last play as I found myself in a corner with only 3 systems before wormholes, and as the game went on it was clear that those 3 systems were all I would get just by expanding. So here's what I thought, what if I could make extra "planets" to these systems I have now?

I mean that it would be cool to be able to build extra "planets"(these would be Space Stations with like max 3 pop, with no food/production/dust and some tech.) Having this feature would make Turtling tactics more usable, and also if you're playing as a peace loving civilization and want to win this could be option for you. Of course these Space Stations would count to the max amount of planets which would be capped to the 6(or is it 5?).

The tech from which you would get this ability would come from right or down tree and would be available around in the middle of that tree, so if you really need it you can rush it, but the production cost for these Space Stations should be quite high(and the Space Stations should be worse than any normal planet), so building them would be sensible only in otherwise fully developed system.

what do you think?

This is a similar suggestion that has been suggested and is listed on summary list (linked on my signature planel). If you feel you have any sugestions or ideas for the game create a detailed thread and link it with a summary of your suggestion to the discussion thread (linked on my signature panel) where I can add it to teh summary list so that the Devs Team to look at for possible development into the game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 7:38:38 PM
jetkar wrote:
This is a similar suggestion that has been suggested and is listed on summary list (linked on my signature planel). If you feel you have any sugestions or ideas for the game create a detailed thread and link it with a summary of your suggestion to the discussion thread (linked on my signature panel) where I can add it to teh summary list so that the Devs Team to look at for possible development into the game.

I looked and didn't see it. What's it called on the summary list?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 8:00:42 PM
DaysOfDoom wrote:
I agree with this idea. The space stations should be able to be specialized between, food, production, or science, not dust though because I would assume that the races would "clean" the parts of dust before it was built. Maybe as a negative they would have a high dust, food (If its not food specialized), or production (if its not production specialized) upkeep cost and each of the specializations would have to be researched. So, a player planning on turtling would have to spend early game research time getting these while the other players are working other paths.

Oh, and maybe you could build defensive space fortresses to increase a systems defense and it could fight off/ damage the invading fleet. Or a space dry dock that could only produce ships but it would decrease cost and built times.

I agree. Many people ask for space station / defense of solar systems and i like the way you suggest it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 9:10:25 PM
Hi!

What do you think about Dyson Spheres? They are pretty cool. And think about the production bonus.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 9:22:10 PM
Tannhäuser wrote:
Hi!

What do you think about Dyson Spheres? They are pretty cool. And think about the production bonus.

Are you so sure Dyson Spheres would be practical? You certainly wouldn't be extracting new minerals from them. They'd collect enough energy to power energy-mass converters to provide some novel materials, but that wouldn't be very efficient. You'd basically have to dismantle several planets to build one, too. In the end, it'd probably produce less I than the planets that went into it, but would have a sky-high FDS rating, and could host a massive population.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 9:24:22 PM
Building planets, really?

However i approve building city stations.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 10:00:46 PM
Sorry if I appear blunt but I've got to admit I'm not so keen on the initial idea of building planets; it kind of takes the point out of settling on other systems, trying to find what you want and terraforming to what you need. Plus the science and reality to actually build a planet is just completely unviable, where would the resources and material come from? I could get in bed with the space station idea though, but I still think it takes a lot away from the game's expansion, exploration and terraforming mechanics though.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 10:22:27 PM
bwfcnut wrote:
Sorry if I appear blunt but I've got to admit I'm not so keen on the initial idea of building planets; it kind of takes the point out of settling on other systems, trying to find what you want and terraforming to what you need. Plus the science and reality to actually build a planet is just completely unviable, where would the resources and material come from? I could get in bed with the space station idea though, but I still think it takes a lot away from the game's expansion, exploration and terraforming mechanics though.

yeah that building planets thing wasn't though through, but i'd sure love those space stations, and if they're balanced right they would be inferior choice compared to terraforming and expansion, so you would only do this when expansion is no longer possible.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 11:05:09 PM
Arguing that artificial planets are impossible in an setting that features all-purpose nanites (dust), faster-than-light travel, wormhole travel, lava-to-jungle terraforming, and many other advanced technologies that we can't possibly engineer right now is just plain weird.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 11:13:16 PM
Its Impossible becuse to build a planet, you would need the contents of a planet.

However a space station can range from a single habitat module to even the possiblity of a Dyson Ring (Because a Dyson Sphere would blot out the sun.), its wierd becuse in the end, you would get more of a profit from an asteroid belt.

Besides, the level of a civlisation that can build planets would indicate a race that can master entire solar systems and thus, would compleatly out gun any other race.....One does not simply 'Build' a planet.
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment