Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Building Planets

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 3:36:24 PM
Ganpot wrote:
The idea is that all types of matter are represented in nothingness. So it would just be an issue of finding a use for all the different components. Anti-matter could be used as fuel or in weapons, normal matter for building, and dark matter / energy might just need to be carted off somewhere smiley: wink.

Well that's another thing entirely then! he he.

You would undoubtedly get more efficient results by killing the population as opposed to destroying the entire planet. But what about enemy reinforcements? I think the point of this strategy is to deny resources to the enemy, in the most permanent way possible. As well, the problem with true lasers is that they are by necessity small around; targeting a city with one would require literally sweeping it back and forth an inch at a time over every square foot. Not to mention that the amount of fuel necessary to power a decent laser pales in comparison to the amount needed to go anywhere in space.

Just blow up the reinforcements!

And the idea of 'temporarily' damaging an opponents access to strategic resources is something I think could be cool idea, you should suggest something like it!

I kinda misspoke there. The black hole wouldn't be truly self-sustaining, but would exist as long as it sucked in matter (and continued to grow). So it would slowly collapse in on itself after it swallowed the planet. It's really not as far-fetched as it seems at first, since we are already talking about ships opening up warp tunnels at will.
Indeed!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 3:36:32 PM
Ganpot wrote:
You could always just crash a ship into the planet while traveling at warp speeds. I'd think that would basically turn it into a massive dust cloud / asteroid field.

Why use a ship? Why not toss an entire planet at another (go read the Lensman series - their warfare got to that level - stealing planets from alternative universes and ramming them into other planets in this universe)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 3:39:30 PM
Shivetya wrote:
and moving beyond the speed of light is not possible either.... oh, wait, its a game, did you forget?

One is the lack of information on the subject due to humanity only recently being able to comprehend anything about the universe and its qwerty.

But collecting mass into a planet is easy enough for humanity to understand that we can easily rule out the idea of turning a normal asteroid field into a usable planet, especially as it would be harder to access precious metals in a singular form.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 3:42:49 PM
Shivetya wrote:
and moving beyond the speed of light is not possible either.... oh, wait, its a game, did you forget?

It is theoretically possible (there are scientific papers on it) by compressing space in front of a ship and elongating it behind the ship, so an undisturbed space "rides" at superluminal speed in spacetime without the ship "moving" in its local space at all.

All you have to do is obey physics in a way that makes you feel you where cheating from the very beginning.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 3:43:37 PM
Shivetya wrote:
Why use a ship? Why not toss an entire planet at another (go read the Lensman series - their warfare got to that level - stealing planets from alternative universes and ramming them into other planets in this universe)

As awesome as that would be, ships are already designed to be mobile, whereas it takes a bit more effort to move a planet. Since traveling at the insane speeds most warp drives dictate would release enough energy to destroy the planet almost regardless of how small the object used is, throwing such a large object would probably just be unnecessary.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 6, 2012, 3:14:14 PM
Tannhäuser wrote:
Hi!

What do you think about Dyson Spheres? They are pretty cool. And think about the production bonus.

It's a really interesting idea! I would love if there was a very advanced technology that allow the factions to build artificial planets, just like the Forerunners in the Halo series. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 6, 2012, 3:57:27 PM
Or, if you find that build artificial planets is overkill, like I saw in previous comments in this thread, then building massive space stations would be a good idea. But even so, we have to take into consideration that humanity still has a very primitive technological level when compared to the god-like alien races in technological terms.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 6, 2012, 5:29:02 PM
This conversation has gone all over the place. I'm just posting to say that I heartily agree with the idea of Space Stations to fill empty spaces. As long as they are "worse" than normal planets.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 7, 2012, 9:14:54 AM
Cant say that i support the idea of building a planet. On the other hand space stations and outposts on asteroids or orbital rings on planets or moons is something that i would really love to see and as StriderV said as long as they are worse than normal planets. Maybe one of the last techs can offer a solutions like Death Star, an enormous artificial planet (tiny planet size in game terms) with some kind of specialization like acting as industrial planet-shipyard.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 7, 2012, 7:22:16 PM
VitunSuoPaska wrote:
Note to self:"don't try to outsmart people on this forum" smiley: biggrin

Yes that about sums up what I just thought.

I was skimming over the posts thinking that I understand what's being said, but that I also understand that I'd rather not be the one arguing against what's being said here... not a good time to be a salmon and swim against the current! smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 25, 2013, 7:15:10 AM
This thread is the origin of discussions about building planets.

Other threads about this have been archived:

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/14000-creating-extra-planets

Feel free to post here about this topic here and inform yourself about the variations the threads listed above have already discussed, but don't open new suggestion threads for anything alike. smiley: wink
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 25, 2013, 10:24:31 PM
StriderV wrote:
This conversation has gone all over the place. I'm just posting to say that I heartily agree with the idea of Space Stations to fill empty spaces. As long as they are "worse" than normal planets.
Actually it depends on the planet. How do you colonize a gas giant??? how you ask?? space stations in orbit, that's how.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 26, 2013, 5:25:03 AM
That or city's that float on large clouds.....like some kind of Zeppelin or blimp city.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 26, 2013, 5:59:01 AM
Igncom1 wrote:
That or city's that float on large clouds.....like some kind of Zeppelin or blimp city.

Like the ones you see flying around high population planets?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 26, 2013, 6:33:06 AM
Igncom1 wrote:

or Cloud City

Ba Dum Tss!

No Bespin is actually a good example.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 26, 2013, 6:39:33 AM
Sovereign wrote:
or Cloud City

Ba Dum Tss!

No Bespin is actually a good example.

Bioshock Infinite, anyone? smiley: stickouttongue

I'm for "space" stations or lower orbit-stations or however it's called smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment