Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Building Planets

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 21, 2012, 6:13:54 PM
Combat_Koala wrote:
Like a huge statis cannon...stops the planets movement dead in an instant.

Since our planet travels through space at a good 500,000mph it will tear itself apart under its own momentum.

Surly once it comes out of stasis it would resume its orbit as its velocity would be the same, and in stasis nothing would happen as it is stasis.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 21, 2012, 6:23:44 PM
Statis was a bad choice of words, since it implies being locked in a field seperated from the usual passage of space-time. I mean statis could work if you could isolate the core from everything else, the rest of the planet would try to fly off without it...maybe some other kind of device that stops it dead? Negative energy beam? Who knows?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 21, 2012, 6:28:33 PM
Combat_Koala wrote:
Statis was a bad choice of words, since it implies being locked in a field seperated from the usual passage of space-time. I mean statis could work if you could isolate the core from everything else, the rest of the planet would try to fly off without it...maybe some other kind of device that stops it dead? Negative energy beam? Who knows?

Just let an object with the same momentum magnitude and opposite direction collide with the planet. That will stop it, if the collision is elastic.

If you've got anything even close to that amount of impulse, though, you can just as easily blast it to bits in an inelastic collision of objects.

I don't see the point of that.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 21, 2012, 6:30:23 PM
well...possibly.

But you would have better luck with a gravity gun and just flatten everything on the surface, even mountains.

But by that thinking its is really cheap just to throw asteroids at it.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 21, 2012, 7:40:28 PM
Combat_Koala wrote:
Matter to energy cannon, convert the planets mass into raw energy.

Although mass is equal to energy, that doesn't mean you can easily convert matter -> energy.

You can get chemical energy, which is alike to matter[SUB]A[/SUB] + matter[SUB]B[/SUB] -> matter[SUB]C[/SUB] + energy.

You can use solar energy or anything else where you redirect outer energy for your means, which is alike to matter[SUB]A[/SUB] + energy[SUB]A[/SUB] -> matter[SUB]A[/SUB] + energy[SUB]B[/SUB].

The only direct way to get matter into energy is to use antimatter, as far as we know: matter + antimatter -> energy

You can of course invert all those arrows, but for the not working first point.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 22, 2012, 1:06:26 PM
You could always just crash a ship into the planet while traveling at warp speeds. I'd think that would basically turn it into a massive dust cloud / asteroid field.

Or (assuming you have a good control of gravity due to technology) you can use a laser to bore into the core of the planet, then somehow create a black hole inside the planet (aka, the Star Trek method).

Or you could create self-replicating nano-machines which slowly eat the entire planet.

EDIT: Just thought up my favorite one yet: give the local star so much energy it goes supernova. That would be awesome (and hilariously inefficient).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 22, 2012, 1:08:09 PM
Ganpot wrote:
You could always just crash a ship into the planet while traveling at warp speeds. I'd think that would basically turn it into a massive dust cloud / asteroid field.

Or (assuming you have a good control of gravity due to technology) you can use a laser to bore into the core of the planet, then somehow create a black hole inside the planet (aka, the Star Trek method).

Or you could create self-replicating nano-machines which slowly eat the entire planet.

That's very expansive when compared to skipping stones off the surface.

and it also depends on the method of warp travel, as you may also just pass right through the object your trying to hit.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 4:51:51 AM
Shivetya wrote:
just put an asteroid belt back together :P

Its a lot harder then that dude.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 7:42:08 AM
Shivetya wrote:
just put an asteroid belt back together :P

I think I already explained it, once, in this thread even, but the total mass of the nearest asteroid belt in our solar system has about 4% of the mass of our moon in total. That's just not enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid_belt#Characteristics
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 9:02:32 AM
If I read the initial post right it all comes down to the point that the game distributes the systems and the planets within them not really equal. Some player always get an advantage, another always a disadvantage. It might be that the concerned player changes from game to game. But the program itself almost never creates maps with equal chances. See also this thread. For me that is the real problem.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 1:07:01 PM
Tiriondil wrote:
If I read the initial post right it all comes down to the point that the game distributes the systems and the planets within them not really equal. Some player always get an advantage, another always a disadvantage. It might be that the concerned player changes from game to game. But the program itself almost never creates maps with equal chances. See also this thread. For me that is the real problem.

I love it, as it prevents a large amount of predictability and planning.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 1:14:20 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
I love it, as it prevents a large amount of predictability and planning.
There is absolutly no predictablility when you know that each side has for example 2 Tier 1, 4 Tier 2, 10 Tier 3 planets in their region. You still need to play the game, and each game is different. But a fixed setting like the mentioned would give all players equal chances and that's what I'm talking about.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 1:27:05 PM
Tiriondil wrote:
There is absolutly no predictablility when you know that each side has for example 2 Tier 1, 4 Tier 2, 10 Tier 3 planets in their region. You still need to play the game, and each game is different. But a fixed setting like the mentioned would give all players equal chances and that's what I'm talking about.

Generalizing is ok, but as long as it is limited.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 2:25:40 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Generalizing is ok, but as long as it is limited.
Meaning? Seriously, I don't understand what you are trying to tell me.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 2:30:39 PM
Well I would give it a grater variance then "2 Tier 1, 4 Tier 2, 10 Tier 3"

Like: "1-5 T1, 3-10 T2, 8-17 T3"

Would be much more appealing to me.

And I apologize for the confusion.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 2:56:07 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
it also depends on the method of warp travel, as you may also just pass right through the object your trying to hit.

Well, it that case you could use a super-computer's calculations to exit warp at the exact second you collide with the planet's surface. Who knows, you might blow the debris completely out of the entire solar system lol.

Also, creating a black hole might take a lot less effort than you think, since after a certain size they are self-propagating. I mean, one of the early technologies in the game is already Black Hole Mining. As for lasers, we already have some which are hotter than the surface of the sun, so it shouldn't be hard to cut through a planet in the far future.

Getting back on track, I remembered something else: there is a current scientific theory which states empty space is actually composed of different particles of matter popping into existence and constantly destroying each other. So if you could separate out the different particles, you'd get a literally unlimited source of materials with which to build planets.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 3:11:26 PM
Ganpot wrote:
Well, it that case you could use a super-computer's calculations to exit warp at the exact second you collide with the planet's surface. Who knows, you might blow the debris completely out of the entire solar system lol.

Also, creating a black hole might take a lot less effort than you think, since after a certain size they are self-propagating. I mean, one of the early technologies in the game is already Black Hole Mining. As for lasers, we already have some which are hotter than the surface of the sun, so it shouldn't be hard to cut through a planet in the far future.

Getting back on track, I remembered something else: there is a current scientific theory which states empty space is actually composed of different particles of matter popping into existence and constantly destroying each other. So if you could separate out the different particles, you'd get a literally unlimited source of materials with which to build planets.

Unless they are the opposite matter to your spices and would then cause your interaction with anything constructed to be rather...catastrophic.

And being really, really hot like that would be more like firing a radiation gun at the surface then cutting it, you would get better results at killing everything on the surface then cutting the planet, and besides the surface of the sun really isn't that hot and any material that could hold such a beam could also be used on city's, not to mention you would have to literally empty you engine to do it unless your using anti-matter reactors (Nothing suggests you do).

And a black hole large enough to be self propagating requires the mass of a large star already collapsing in on its self, and by then your just destroying the entire solar system, and are likely powerful enough to not even bother. Gravity guns that crush ships and building are much more efficient.

And I am not even going to bother discussing theoretical warp technology again! smiley: stickouttongue this has been fun to think about!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 3:31:17 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Unless they are the opposite matter to your spices and would then cause your interaction with anything constructed to be rather...catastrophic.

The idea is that all types of matter are represented in nothingness. So it would just be an issue of finding a use for all the different components. Anti-matter could be used as fuel or in weapons, normal matter for building, and dark matter / energy might just need to be carted off somewhere smiley: wink.

Igncom1 wrote:
And being really, really hot like that would be more like firing a radiation gun at the surface then cutting it, you would get better results at killing everything on the surface then cutting the planet, and besides the surface of the sun really isn't that hot and any material that could hold such a beam could also be used on city's, not to mention you would have to literally empty you engine to do it unless your using anti-matter reactors (Nothing suggests you do).

You would undoubtedly get more efficient results by killing the population as opposed to destroying the entire planet. But what about enemy reinforcements? I think the point of this strategy is to deny resources to the enemy, in the most permanent way possible. As well, the problem with true lasers is that they are by necessity small around; targeting a city with one would require literally sweeping it back and forth an inch at a time over every square foot. Not to mention that the amount of fuel necessary to power a decent laser pales in comparison to the amount needed to go anywhere in space.

Igncom1 wrote:
And a black hole large enough to be self propagating requires the mass of a large star already collapsing in on its self, and by then your just destroying the entire solar system, and are likely powerful enough to not even bother.

I kinda misspoke there. The black hole wouldn't be truly self-sustaining, but would exist as long as it sucked in matter (and continued to grow). So it would slowly collapse in on itself after it swallowed the planet. It's really not as far-fetched as it seems at first, since we are already talking about ships opening up warp tunnels at will.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment