Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Different government systems

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 13, 2012, 10:52:48 AM
Overall a pretty awesome idea! Sorry I don't have more I can contribute to the discussion, in the middle of uni exams at the moment
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 12:51:22 AM
That's basically how I'd see it. There'd be a pool to choose from, but not all races would have access to all of them, only the ones that fit. With the potential for race-specific ones. There could even be a race (or more than one?) with a single choice, which could factor into the whole racial bonuses/penalties aspect.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 5:03:47 PM
i agree that having the choice of how to govern your People would be nice.... edit: as long as it's somewhat in line with the lore.

Stargem wrote:
Having various policies to mix and match is definitely the way to go, I feel.

Like others suggested before, Civ 4 and Alpha Centaury had a quite nice System, as far as i remember. Fall from Heaven II, a very popular dark fantasy mod for Civ4 (500K+ downloads), brought in a lot more deepth with religions and different races... even allowing special policies for certain races/religions/alignments. Added a lot of flavour to the game as whole.

To connect this: There is a thread that talks about how you handle conquered populations here, why not make it so that one of the policies is about that?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 12:07:19 AM
Some form of government system would be nice. Something to add customization to your playthrough and give you another strategic option.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 9:54:23 PM
After doing a bit more of research, i still would like to see a civics system like the ones used in Alpha Centauri or Civ IV. With restrictions based on your race and maybe a bit simplified... but having some choices would allow me (and i gues others) to get more connected to my race and playstyle. the bonuses/drawbacks shouldn't be too big, to not influence the balance of the game. Or wait until after release to add such a system and do a rebalance. I also like to see a civic that states how you handle conquered populations of star systems, like suggested here. Would also be nice to see some influence to your Diplomacy, giving bonuses or penalities depending on it.

This is also a friendly bumb for a thread that i consider important smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 10:31:56 PM
Good idea, but some of the names and effects need tweeking.

Also, each civilization needs to be limited to certain options for government, i.e. I doubt that the cravers would have a democracy.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 12, 2012, 12:26:00 AM
KNC wrote:

Corperations:

The empire organizes itself through the use of self-sustaining companies which effectively take over most decisions in their local teritory. The United Empire has this system, as well as the previous one.

• Small Research Bonus
  • Strong Production Bonus

Oligarchy/Plutocracy:

The entire power is inherited by a select family/party.

• Medium Approval Malus
  • Small Research Malus
  • Medium Production Bonus
  • Faster Command Chains - Faster Ship Speed

Are you honestly implying that Corporatocracy and Oligarchy are different things? Maybe you need to take political science before coming up with this stuff.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 12, 2012, 2:01:51 AM
Idea great but requires a lot of tweaking to make all of them viable some have too many bonuses and no malus.

Too many quality over quantity make 4-5 movement types not more make them distinct from each other.

In MOO2 you had 4 types of government you were able to choose from when creating a custom race I do not think more is necessary.

We know already what kind of bonuses the developers have in mind, at least for now, you can check them here:

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13124-design-creating-your-own-faction

Governments should enhance the game but not unbalance it the more things there are the harder to balance them.

All in all a good idea that need tweaking.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 12, 2012, 2:25:11 AM
gamingalife wrote:
Idea great but requires a lot of tweaking to make all of them viable some have too many bonuses and no malus.

Too many quality over quantity make 4-5 movement types not more make them distinct from each other.

In MOO2 you had 4 types of government you were able to choose from when creating a custom race I do not think more is necessary.

We know already what kind of bonuses the developers have in mind, at least for now, you can check them here:

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13124-design-creating-your-own-faction

Governments should enhance the game but not unbalance it the more things there are the harder to balance them.

All in all a good idea that need tweaking.

Well they should all act in a similar manner therefor making the difference between the government a choice between different strategy.

Where as one end of the spectrum would be something like a 'hive-mind', the other side would inevitably be an anarchy type of control, one side eliminating the individuals righta altogether and the other making them amount to the law.

Which is good for a Production-happiness type of government type system, but where does that leave dust? personally i think it should sit directly in the middle of this spectrum making the choice of either extreme undesirable to any strategy that require large amounts of it.

However i do believe that the idea of science being affected by politics to be rather flawed, after all whether a empire is just or downright evil, controlling or fee as a kite, scientific discovery's will be made. Moral or not....
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 30, 2012, 11:30:31 PM
I would support this idea IF it is integrated into the lore and that a player couldn't change the government type unless it jives with the lore. So give a player a range of government types that his nation can switch to based on his race, so the Cravers couldn't end up with a Democracy. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 14, 2012, 2:31:09 AM
I feel like it should take a more CIV V approach, where you adopt certain policies over time. Some policies, freedom and autocracy as one example, can't be activated at the same time. Also some policies should be restricted/ activated at the start of the game in some species.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 14, 2012, 8:06:09 AM
Governments seem to fit the fluff better, but social policies seem to fit the style of the game far better to me.

Something like these in the game could be good, but only if they don't become the focus of play all of a sudden. (I need to be/have anarchy to use this tech, but that means giving up these techs I have for Democracy... sigh)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 11, 2012, 10:01:00 AM
Love the idea. Should be like in Civ4 or Alpha Centauri, which had excellent govenment options. As democratic cravers are really a strange idea, some options should be blocked for some factions.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 11, 2012, 4:20:54 PM
I don't like the idea becuase it would decrease the differentiation among races or make them even less immersive. Cravers adopting democracy or monarchy is not something i wish implemented in the game. I would like instead a preset of form of government for races with unlockable branches which are also race specific.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 13, 2012, 2:09:11 AM
I don't know that it would make sense for each race to have all forms of government available to it, but I would like to see something like 3-5 variants of government types (that fit within the species lore) that you could select. Along with which ever form/variant/focus of government you choose you would receive various bonus and negative affects.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 14, 2012, 7:26:36 AM
I find it's a awesome idea. Perhaps combine with the idea of a specific tree for each race?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 16, 2012, 9:42:35 PM
They need either social policies or government types, or both! Would add more to diplomacy.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 16, 2012, 9:58:44 PM
jam3 wrote:
They need either social policies or government types, or both! Would add more to diplomacy.

The league of Galactic oppressors isn't going to build its self!
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jul 21, 2014, 2:29:16 AM
I think this is a great idea, especially if certain races were barred from certain government types that would just be unfeasible given their biological/base emotional tendencies.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment