Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Automaton - Ship Design Competition!

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Feb 20, 2013, 5:20:26 PM
Mr-Haitch wrote:
Greetings all, long time lurker and player of Endless Space here. I really wish I'd been more active around here, so I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring. I'm very interested in concept art thought spaceships aren't my forte. The main focus of my ship designs is all ships share a 'core', which houses the Automatons terraforming tech and plants, greenhouses and hydroponics for new worlds.

They look like satellites to me; those ones with the ball and 4 prongs. Still, very nice designs.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 21, 2013, 5:27:51 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. I know they don't look the most intimidating of ship designs, but I didn't feel the Automatons should have warlike ships. At least that was my take on it since they're supposed to live on them, but I suppose how that's designed is debatable.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 21, 2013, 5:38:08 PM
more self esteem Mr-Haitch !

...i dont know...why...cause here were so many awesome stuff already...but cause of an unkown reason i think your ships looks the most *Automaton like*...Automatons...and "Sputniks" are perfectly matching!

maybe here and there a little more details (for example hangar bays on Dreadnought(maybe) for future fighters other races got hangars...yeah useless atm but they got one)

but despite of this my FAV by now.

keep on going hold your head up high!

I believe in you!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 21, 2013, 6:57:56 PM
Here's my take on an Automaton ship. I've slightly designed them to resemble Panzer's vision of their ships, as he is the creator of the faction.

The light gray lines delineate surfaces that are hidden behind, to help better understand how the ship is shaped; the ship isn't actually transparent like that.

http://i69.servimg.com/u/f69/12/86/36/82/es_aut10.png

Here is the same thing, but as it should appear.

http://i69.servimg.com/u/f69/12/86/36/82/es_aut11.png

I think this one would be the dreadnought class. I've kept it somewhat simple so as not to be too confusing; the ship can potentially look much more complex with added texture and/or additional detail on the model.

I plan on doing a colored version, and hopefully finish it before the deadline. I would also design other classes but I doubt I have enough time.

I really hope you guys like it!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 21, 2013, 11:14:25 PM
Sovereign wrote:
more self esteem Mr-Haitch !

...i dont know...why...cause here were so many awesome stuff already...but cause of an unkown reason i think your ships looks the most *Automaton like*...Automatons...and "Sputniks" are perfectly matching!

maybe here and there a little more details (for example hangar bays on Dreadnought(maybe) for future fighters other races got hangars...yeah useless atm but they got one)

but despite of this my FAV by now.

keep on going hold your head up high!

I believe in you!

Aw shucks I'm flattered but all the positive words these are receiving.smiley: redface

Ahh hanger bays, if I'd known that'd be announced this week I'd have thought about putting those in. I wonder if we should throw in designs for fighters and bombers as well. I think I'd make small Automaton more like spherical drones.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 21, 2013, 11:47:32 PM
Mr-Haitch wrote:
Thanks for the kind words guys. I know they don't look the most intimidating of ship designs, but I didn't feel the Automatons should have warlike ships. At least that was my take on it since they're supposed to live on them, but I suppose how that's designed is debatable.

Well they're supposed to have factories on them as well, they're basically giant flying cities/countries
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 22, 2013, 1:32:06 AM

Did some quick sketches of my designs for the basic tier ships. Once I get sketches done for the higher tier ships I'll go back and work on more polished versions of everything.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 22, 2013, 7:19:47 AM
vahouth wrote:
Hello guys!

Here's my take on the Automaton Ships. Please forgive my simple drawings. I made them overnight in MS Paint.

Oo Those are amazing. smiley: approval
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 22, 2013, 10:56:27 AM
CaptainFargle wrote:

Did some quick sketches of my designs for the basic tier ships. Once I get sketches done for the higher tier ships I'll go back and work on more polished versions of everything.

Cool concepts, I like you drawing-style - it reminds me of Portal smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 22, 2013, 11:23:23 AM
Tredecim wrote:
Cool concepts, I like you drawing-style - it reminds me of Portal smiley: biggrin

Now that you mention it, it kinda looks like Wheatley. smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 22, 2013, 11:46:16 AM
Steph'nie wrote:
Now that you mention it, it kinda looks like Wheatley. smiley: biggrin

and now you mentioned it and I must agree - looks a bit like Wheatley smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 22, 2013, 4:55:03 PM
vahouth wrote:
Hello guys!

Here's my take on the Automaton Ships. Please forgive my simple drawings. I made them overnight in MS Paint.

I loved this ones! They really look Automaton like. smiley: approval
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 22, 2013, 7:02:41 PM
Tredecim wrote:

You know, that never really occurred to me at all. It really didn't but now that you say it I can't unsee it. I was trying to go for a sort of "Sputnik" look to give the whole thing a kind of retro feel that would blend well with the Automatons being all clockwork.

EDIT: Finally managed to work out a Cruiser design that I don't hate:

0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 25, 2013, 6:27:40 AM
A quick colored version. I won't have enough time to make something epic, but I think this will do.

A few ideas I have for the ship are light dust (yellow/gold color) clouds emanating from the black bulbous structures; vine-like vegetation entangled around the ship, with perhaps many branches hanging down from the elevated platform; and the color of the exhaust afterburner being green.

Full size picture: http://i69.servimg.com/u/f69/12/86/36/82/es_aut10.jpg
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 26, 2013, 1:49:38 AM
CaptainFargle wrote:
You know, that never really occurred to me at all. It really didn't but now that you say it I can't unsee it. I was trying to go for a sort of "Sputnik" look to give the whole thing a kind of retro feel that would blend well with the Automatons being all clockwork.

EDIT: Finally managed to work out a Cruiser design that I don't hate:

Don't worry, Wheatly is inspired by sputnik. smiley: smile

EnduringPaper wrote:
A quick colored version. I won't have enough time to make something epic, but I think this will do.

A few ideas I have for the ship are light dust (yellow/gold color) clouds emanating from the black bulbous structures; vine-like vegetation entangled around the ship, with perhaps many branches hanging down from the elevated platform; and the color of the exhaust afterburner being green.

Full size picture: http://i69.servimg.com/u/f69/12/86/36/82/es_aut10.jpg
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 26, 2013, 1:03:01 PM
I really like that idea, of plants literally being part of the ships, symbiotic or just overgrow. Either way its a neat concept.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 26, 2013, 10:40:18 PM
A few renders of a quick low poly model I knocked up in maya, I would rather do a higher poly version but the competition is nearly over so here we go :P

3/4 view

Front view

Side view

Top view

0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 26, 2013, 11:45:24 PM
Mr-Haitch wrote:
I really like that idea, of plants literally being part of the ships, symbiotic or just overgrow. Either way its a neat concept.

But also that wouldn't work, considering planets need "air" to breath and space is a vacuum smiley: ohh
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 27, 2013, 12:52:18 AM
But in the end it would work, considering that Endless Space is a game based on science fiction and graphics are pixels. smiley: smile

Let's assume it is a unique type of plant that can survive in space. We could have the same argument about the little spiders flying around the Cravers' ships as well.

EDIT: Unfinished semi-final this-will-have-to-do colored version of my entry. Added a nice texture, fixed a couple shadows, and added honeycomb-like thingies for the domes.

http://i69.servimg.com/u/f69/12/86/36/82/es_aut11.jpg
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 27, 2013, 3:58:42 AM
Scratched my head, thought for a second, and modeled these:

[ATTACH]5859[/ATTACH][ATTACH]5858[/ATTACH]

Included the low-poly views just in case any one got confused about what looked like what.

Seriously, even if I don't win, I'm just happy that the Automatons are finally going to get some ship models smiley: smile
0Send private message
Comment