Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Automaton - Ship Design Competition!

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Feb 27, 2013, 4:19:21 AM
Those are... robots...? :P So they're fine :P and I think they're meant to be locusts not spider XD
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 27, 2013, 4:20:53 AM
Stealth_Hawk wrote:
Scratched my head, thought for a second, and modeled these:

[ATTACH]5859[/ATTACH][ATTACH]5858[/ATTACH]

Included the low-poly views just in case any one got confused about what looked like what.

Seriously, even if I don't win, I'm just happy that the Automatons are finally going to get some ship models smiley: smile

My god how did you make the bottom two, they look so real. Me jelly
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 27, 2013, 4:33:11 AM
Stealth_Hawk wrote:

Included the low-poly views just in case any one got confused about what looked like what.

Seriously, even if I don't win, I'm just happy that the Automatons are finally going to get some ship models smiley: smile

I love your style, but unfortunately all I see are almonds. Keep at it! And seriously, did you make those bottom two with real metal?

PS. Agreed.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 27, 2013, 5:12:01 AM
Hello everybody, my first time posting in this forum smiley: biggrin

I dont have my computer and graphic tablet here so i couldnt color my drawings. Will explain with a description.

The Automatons ship is composed of mainly five parts: The rail(1), the fin(2), the engine(3), the main hull(4) and the weapons platform(5).

The rail shaped as a gear is used as a vertical movement of the weapons platform and symbolises Automatons affinity to industry, while the fin moves the gear sideways. When in a fight, the platform always faces the enemy.

The engine is a semi sphere wich is connected with a cylinder to the main hull, wich is a complete sphere.

While the gear, platform, the fin and the cylinder are of the typical depressed spaceship grey color, the engine is a mix of colors that resemble a star. The main hull, a sphere, is colored with pretty terran planet like colors.

While the shape of the ship is very geometrical and simple, it shows their clockwork precision (if the ship is tilted sideways it resembles a pendulum clock), the two spheres are colored in a very spontaneous way, like kids drawings, showing their young age as a race.

When the ship is stoped, from a distance, it seems as a terran planet(main hull) orbiting a distant star(engine)

with a space station(platform). when it starts moving the star gets very bright warming the main hull's vivid colors

They push a whole planet full of life, filled with Automatons, through space with the power of a star,

protected by the embrace of their industry.

The ship i made is more of a concept rather a specific type of ship.
Automatons ship.zip
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 27, 2013, 8:51:27 AM
Stealth_Hawk wrote:

*bows* some great skills you got there smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 27, 2013, 11:24:38 AM
Biaslemon wrote:
Love that design pika, i can definitely imagine the automatons flying those things

I always liked the idea of them being kind of like a race of space fearing Mcgivers. Immagine the main hull as this vast empty space, wich gets reorganised as they see fit for the current need they have at the time. Their own moving natural habitat, their own workshop that changes the internal layout everytime they change their ship purpose. As they are robots with inteligence, their definition of organisation and privacy would be vastly different from us. They would have no need for private rooms, bathrooms, kitchens ... so they would have vast spaces to fill with orher things, like factories, gardens, kind like an arc.

I have taken into consideration a few of their traits in the design, like the weapon platform(fearless warriors) wich is boldly watching the action and, with its two arms outstretched saing: ˝I am the protector of this ship, you will have to go trough me first.˝ Then the bright colors (optimism), showing that they are not hiding in space, the massive design giving it a thick feeling(strong alloys), and the main hull having the possibility of being completly filled with stuff and/or automatons (crowded planets).

The ship types would usually retain most of the five parts, like a workshop woud have, its rail horizontal instead of vertical, with a landing mechanism(with mechanical bugs legs) instead of the weapons platform.

A corvette woud have an observatory and aditional engines on the rail, giving it better mobility.

A destroyer ship would have a proportionally bigger weapons platform, compared to the rest of the ship.

A cruiser ship would be more massive in the two main spheres compared to the rail and platform, showing thicker hulls and more powerfull engines.

A battleship favoring defence moduls woud have its platform arms thicker, and more outstretched, thus covering more of the main part of the ship and givina ample space for additional defence mechanisms.

A dreadnought would be overall more massive, have two engines(like a binary star) and more rails (a big primary one and a few smaller ones around other parts of the ship)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 27, 2013, 2:30:57 PM
Tredecim wrote:
*bows* some great skills you got there smiley: smile

Javarino wrote:
I love your style, but unfortunately all I see are almonds. Keep at it! And seriously, did you make those bottom two with real metal?

PS. Agreed.

I think I ate too many nuts when I was designing these :P. No. No real metal used. Just Blender3d and Cycles.

stasik28 wrote:
My god how did you make the bottom two, they look so real. Me jelly

Aw, thanks guys. I don't know what to say smiley: smile

Blender really is a great tool. Whipped these up last night.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 27, 2013, 2:33:21 PM
stasik28 wrote:
Those are... robots...? :P So they're fine :P and I think they're meant to be locusts not spider XD

I always thought they were Cravers.

Cravers. Locusts. Same difference, right?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 28, 2013, 1:33:37 AM
Stealth_Hawk wrote:
I always thought they were Cravers.

Cravers. Locusts. Same difference, right?

If they can fly in space, why do they need ships :P
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 28, 2013, 1:16:48 PM
Closing this thread. smiley: smile

Thank you for the submissions and input: we'll get back to you very soon!

Edit: Re-opening and checking if I forgot someone!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 28, 2013, 2:28:39 PM
I have counted:

• FarOceans
  • CodenameVeers
  • stasik28
  • Dr_Soul
  • Digitalhawk96
  • Javarino
  • bla0815
  • Panzer