Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Automaton - Ship Design Competition!

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jan 31, 2013, 8:56:44 PM
*Old-man fist-shakes at Stasik* Darn you kids and your new-fangled computing machines, making concepts for such mechanical features easier to show.

Looks pretty cool, and really close to what I was thinking of (The again, I too am basing the engines and certain features off of the Automaton Anatomy)

It looks like this competition will be quite fun with a lot of interesting concepts.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 31, 2013, 9:36:13 PM
Haha, I was going to sketch, but I can't even make a stick figure LOL! But thanks smiley: smile Can't wait to see what yours looks like.

Yes, this will be a pretty fun competition haha

The funny thing is: this isn't... exactly... what I was thinking of, this is basically me trademarking this design >smiley: smile But I do intend to use the ball (for cruiser) and def the spinning rings

A colored version, my 3DS is broken atm, going to look into fixing it then upload a better colored XD
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 31, 2013, 9:38:26 PM
Ill try to think of something real cool and man it hurts. I have no idea where to begin on the idea other than of course the Automatons mechanical, steampunk cog and gear style and also the large factor that they kinda live in their large ships in space, symbiotic satellites you know. All i know is that they should have moving cogs things or big circle things, a bit like their bodies; other than that... slightly curved plate coverings, a ribbed look to them like they are woven. So much of this will come from their pieces of Art and i have yet to successfully draw a Automaton successfully, so much for a funky Automaton profile pic. Im much better with pencils and pens anyway compared to computer programs like Gimp, which is useful... *sigh* what to DRAW.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 31, 2013, 9:42:24 PM
stasik28 wrote:
Haha, I was going to sketch, but I can't even make a stick figure LOL! But thanks smiley: smile Can't wait to see what yours looks like.

Yes, this will be a pretty fun competition haha

Im just going to take these for my concepts... ha, ha, ha... but really, these concepts look badass. I really like the circular, ribbed moving engine parts and all the other glorious moving circles of whoosh. Kinda what i had in mind but a lot less floaty, but the Horatio flipping managed to get weird floaty, functional ships so... ok. I really just need to do some sketches.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 31, 2013, 10:04:50 PM
I'm not feeling the organic, they're a clockwork race, meaning heavy machinery and large hodgepodges of different mechanics, but the votes will tell smiley: smile

As for the contest, I have a few questions for Steph'nie:

1.) Should we draw out every class of ship or are we just giving a general understanding of the style and look of the ships?

2.) Are we allowed multiple submissions?

3.) How detailed do you want the drawings? Are we talking Top Bottom Side Front Back views or just a general angled view of the ships?

Thanks smiley: smile and good luck to everyone smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 31, 2013, 10:12:34 PM
hehehe, Veers shows up with Paint, I salute! smiley: stickouttongue

& stasik has some really nice concepts already there! smiley: smile

I wish I could participate, but I'm currently not in posession of an 3D Modelling Software smiley: biggrin

Good luck guys!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 31, 2013, 10:18:32 PM
Tredecim, you can download 3DS Max Design for free, as long as you don't use it for profit purposes smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 31, 2013, 10:20:09 PM
Digitalhawk96 wrote:
Ill try to think of something real cool and man it hurts. I have no idea where to begin on the idea other than of course the Automatons mechanical, steampunk cog and gear style and also the large factor that they kinda live in their large ships in space, symbiotic satellites you know. All i know is that they should have moving cogs things or big circle things, a bit like their bodies; other than that... slightly curved plate coverings, a ribbed look to them like they are woven. So much of this will come from their pieces of Art and i have yet to successfully draw a Automaton successfully, so much for a funky Automaton profile pic. Im much better with pencils and pens anyway compared to computer programs like Gimp, which is useful... *sigh* what to DRAW.

hey man, I like drawing a LOT, but my hands cannot do what my brain thinks up :P And honestly, art, like drawn concept arts, are a huge need in the gaming industry right now smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 31, 2013, 10:21:42 PM
stasik28 wrote:
Tredecim, you can download 3DS Max Design for free, as long as you don't use it for profit purposes smiley: smile

Yeah, thanks, I know - but somehow I don't find the time to "dig" myself into it :/

I used to model with Rhino & render with Keyshot.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 31, 2013, 10:22:27 PM
Digitalhawk96 wrote:
Im just going to take these for my concepts... ha, ha, ha... but really, these concepts look badass. I really like the circular, ribbed moving engine parts and all the other glorious moving circles of whoosh. Kinda what i had in mind but a lot less floaty, but the Horatio flipping managed to get weird floaty, functional ships so... ok. I really just need to do some sketches.

Haha thanks :P Yea, I'm pretty unsure of how to apply the cogs to the ships, this is the best I can think of. I have some different concepts, but it's going to be a bit difficult, especially time wise, to actually make it haha

Tredecim wrote:
Yeah, thanks, I know - but somehow I don't find the time to "dig" myself into it :/

I used to model with Rhino & render with Keyshot.

What's rhino O_o And max has its own rendering system :P

Ah ha! You're the Beer2Gether guy XD just noticed the links below your messages xD
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 31, 2013, 10:31:11 PM
stasik28 wrote:
Haha thanks :P Yea, I'm pretty unsure of how to apply the cogs to the ships, this is the best I can think of. I have some different concepts, but it's going to be a bit difficult, especially time wise, to actually make it haha

What's rhino O_o And max has its own rendering system :P

Ah ha! You're the Beer2Gether guy XD just noticed the links below your messages xD

Rhino - Modelling for Dummies - easy to use, but still provides everything needed smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 1, 2013, 12:27:36 AM
I have 2 concepts now and i am VERY happy with them. I have a Workshop//Cutter, Transport//Corvette, and a Thresher, Battleship. Once i get them all done i will scan them and post them here on Saturday. I want the general look and feel if i get these taken by Amplitude ie they can tweak it a little if they like, the general part and the synergistic part of the design is a circular hole in the ship representing the power core or just whatever you think is funky.This is kinda hard to explain without my drawings... inside this hole is two cogs like circles that rotate slowly, one rotates horizontally against the diameter of the cut out circle just as cogs grind against each other and move; the other vertically inside the horizontal "cog" and obviously smaller. Much of the ships look is like the Automaton themselves, cogs, curves and plating; also some *Automaton* shapes flung in elsewhere like little triangles, curvy shapes and parts of circles with serrated edges etc. The half cog is used liberally on the top of the ship like a type of flag, - see Automaton shoulder pad to see what i mean - the engine has a ribbed look to it like a circle followed by another circle with an Archimedes Screw look to it inside these circles together. Please note that nothing is floating in the ship design, it is all connected somehow... the engine color is orange, the color of the ship is Automaton grey. I really hope you know what i mean, ill get some picture up on Saturday. I have a History Prelim tomorrow. :L
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 1, 2013, 2:22:43 AM
stasik28 wrote:
Wait, you made that Kareal?

Google Image search is a friend...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 1, 2013, 3:18:35 AM
Digitalhawk96 wrote:
I have 2 concepts now and i am VERY happy with them. I have a Workshop//Cutter, Transport//Corvette, and a Thresher, Battleship. Once i get them all done i will scan them and post them here on Saturday. I want the general look and feel if i get these taken by Amplitude ie they can tweak it a little if they like, the general part and the synergistic part of the design is a circular hole in the ship representing the power core or just whatever you think is funky.This is kinda hard to explain without my drawings... inside this hole is two cogs like circles that rotate slowly, one rotates horizontally against the diameter of the cut out circle just as cogs grind against each other and move; the other vertically inside the horizontal "cog" and obviously smaller. Much of the ships look is like the Automaton themselves, cogs, curves and plating; also some *Automaton* shapes flung in elsewhere like little triangles, curvy shapes and parts of circles with serrated edges etc. The half cog is used liberally on the top of the ship like a type of flag, - see Automaton shoulder pad to see what i mean - the engine has a ribbed look to it like a circle followed by another circle with an Archimedes Screw look to it inside these circles together. Please note that nothing is floating in the ship design, it is all connected somehow... the engine color is orange, the color of the ship is Automaton grey. I really hope you know what i mean, ill get some picture up on Saturday. I have a History Prelim tomorrow. :L

Gah! Wall of text D: Waiting for the picutre smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 1, 2013, 3:31:41 AM
Digitalhawk96 wrote:

I'm really interested to see how you went about the Automaton style, I honestly cannot wait to see all the crazy stuff people come up with. As for the spinning rings posted earlier; very nice job modeling, and I like them a lot smiley: biggrin I'm jittery with anticipation for what will come!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 1, 2013, 5:19:54 AM
Panzer wrote:
I'm really interested to see how you went about the Automaton style, I honestly cannot wait to see all the crazy stuff people come up with. As for the spinning rings posted earlier; very nice job modeling, and I like them a lot smiley: biggrin I'm jittery with anticipation for what will come!

If you mean mine... that was a ship concept smiley: neutral Well! haha. But color-wise.. it's not what I wanted smiley: frown I attempted to make the actual ships my Max crashed my computer (lol) so I guess I'll make more when I finally fix my max smiley: frown
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 1, 2013, 9:32:33 AM
Panzer wrote:
I'm not feeling the organic, they're a clockwork race, meaning heavy machinery and large hodgepodges of different mechanics, but the votes will tell smiley: smile

As for the contest, I have a few questions for Steph'nie:

1.) Should we draw out every class of ship or are we just giving a general understanding of the style and look of the ships?

2.) Are we allowed multiple submissions?

3.) How detailed do you want the drawings? Are we talking Top Bottom Side Front Back views or just a general angled view of the ships?

Thanks smiley: smile and good luck to everyone smiley: biggrin

Indeed, one piece of advice: people should check out the Automatons' lore! As for your questions:

1. Well, we did mention model(s), so I am guessing: the more you do, the better. It will give people who are voting (and us!) an overall idea of what the ships will look like.

2. As many as you want, but we insist on those being the results of your own work.

3. From napkin drawings to 3D models. smiley: wink However, we understand that everybody is not an artist, and this is not an issue for us, but hey, it's a competition: keep in mind that you have to convince the community to vote for you in some later forums poll and G2G vote!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 1, 2013, 4:56:50 PM
I have a few drawings now. I will get them scanned and edited slightly and then post my sketches i did this morning and last night. Then i will take them into something like GIMP and refine them a little and edit them as desired. I have many ships designs, i kind of named them such as the Workshop and all that but ill let you decide what class of ship they should be. I want them to be a bit bulky and plated, HP boost trait, i also want them to seem a little delicate and curved, a bit like clockwork; most of all i want them to be like flying cityships so... i don't know how i can achieve that other than using a cityscape horizon on top of the ships, little towers and boxes, cog shapes littering the ships... roof?

I have vision at least. I can not for the life of me draw a diagonal ship drawing like the original artist "kryssalian", with all of his design concepts on the various races inspiring me, i am hoping someone is generous enough to help me with that. Im so used to drawing draconians and armoured figures than drawing ships, oh yeah and stickmen. I still have all of my stickmen drawings from when i was in primary school.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 1, 2013, 4:59:27 PM
Steph'nie wrote:
Indeed, one piece of advice: people should check out the Automatons' lore! As for your questions:

1. Well, we did mention model(s), so I am guessing: the more you do, the better. It will give people who are voting (and us!) an overall idea of what the ships will look like.

2. As many as you want, but we insist on those being the results of your own work.

3. From napkin drawings to 3D models. smiley: wink However, we understand that everybody is not an artist, and this is not an issue for us, but hey, it's a competition: keep in mind that you have to convince the community to vote for you in some later forums poll and G2G vote!

Ill use my charm and time to win the communities heart. Or my creative drawings... in my hand... still trying to find my scanner.
0Send private message
Comment