Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Automaton - Ship Design Competition!

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Feb 6, 2013, 11:58:13 PM
Troodon wrote:
Ah, I see. It was a SPLINTER faction of the UE, not the UE itself. In that case, the Automaton's actually did the UE proper a favor.

Unfortunately, ES does not yet have an official canon policy like Star Wars. (As a big wiki editor, this is a source of eternal frustration for me.) If and when such a standard is created, though, I am sure this backstory will be in it.

Yeah I guess they did do the UE a favor lol, but anyway, I am glad you like it. Also, you can see here that I had the ship designs planned out a long time ago even before I won the contest, so I really hope I actually win this one! smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 7, 2013, 12:09:57 AM
Well you can post fan fiction, nothing stopping you. And Star Wars official canon policy isn't really that open. I believe Lucas checks everything first or at least has certain rules with it (he got REALLY pissed off when someone made a Wookie jedi)
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 7, 2013, 2:13:21 PM
Panzer wrote:
It's a very special side story that I wrote, I made it canon,

smiley: smile

Here is more or less all the "fiction" that I wrote for them. Steph'nie should really post these up to the wiki smiley: biggrin

/#/endless-space/forum/38-creations/thread/16432-fanfiction-the-automatons-faction-contest-timeline

/#/endless-space/forum/38-creations/thread/16428-fan-art-the-automatons-faction-contest-fleet-base

/#/endless-space/forum/38-creations/thread/16429-fan-art-the-automatons-faction-contest-protection-of-planets

/#/endless-space/forum/38-creations/thread/16430-fan-art-the-automatons-faction-contest-the-end

It's in order, enjoy smiley: smile

The wiki is a community wiki: Everybody can edit it. smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 7, 2013, 10:53:02 PM
Kareal wrote:
Dreadnaught concept where the engines would be in the exact center...

That is HUGE! But will the Automaton ships have "floating" parts on their ships (parts that aren't attached to the main ship structure)? It's because I would love to see some ships like the Forerunner ships from the Halo universe (in which some of the parts of the ship aren't attached to to ship, instead, they just float around it).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 7, 2013, 10:57:05 PM
Steph'nie wrote:
The wiki is a community wiki: Everybody can edit it. smiley: wink

Hint for the lazy ones lol

Digitalhawk is my fav. atm smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 9, 2013, 1:54:50 AM
Alas, I wish I could draw, but can't; at least not without huge amounts of time and motivation.

However I'll let what would be my inspiration be yours: FFXII!

Obviously I don't intend to plagiarize, but these would play a part in it. Steampunk-ish ships with glossair rings? Perfect match for a 'clockwork' race if you ask me. (with a lot of ES touch of course)

The top one is the most automaton-y of them all.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 9, 2013, 1:48:53 PM
WhiteWeasel wrote:
Alas, I wish I could draw, but can't; at least not without huge amounts of time and motivation.

However I'll let what would be my inspiration be yours: FFXII!

Obviously I don't intend to plagiarize, but these would play a part in it. Steampunk-ish ships with glossair rings? Perfect match for a 'clockwork' race if you ask me. (with a lot of ES touch of course)

The top one is the most automaton-y of them all.

Dude, I have been waiting for them to make a FF RTS based on the cutscenes of FF12 for years. I mean, its such a damned awesome idea! But although I think glossair rings are awesome and the ships are awesome, we gotta be careful with copy rights :P
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 9, 2013, 5:43:29 PM
Panzer wrote:
Dude, I have been waiting for them to make a FF RTS based on the cutscenes of FF12 for years. I mean, its such a damned awesome idea! But although I think glossair rings are awesome and the ships are awesome, we gotta be careful with copy rights :P

Of course, I don't want to rip on someone else's idea. When I have inspiration is based off of something, I look at the concept (this case the rings) use the 1-2 ideas I like, then chuck the rest out the airlock and make it my duty to make the rest as different as possible. If they can tell just by looking at it I was inspired by (name here), I have failed in my design.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 10, 2013, 2:39:56 PM
Hello guys!

Here's my take on the Automaton Ships. Please forgive my simple drawings. I made them overnight in MS Paint.

0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 10, 2013, 3:34:01 PM
Hi guys/gals!

This is my first time posting on this forums smiley: smile

So without further delay, here are my ship designs for this contest smiley: smile

Fairly new to designing ships but i think they came out pretty well if i say so myself xD

I got my inspirations directly from the official artwork and wanted to incorporate those sphere heads into my designs... These ships might be giant automatons themselves? smiley: smile

0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 10, 2013, 6:13:51 PM
vahouth wrote:
Hello guys!

Here's my take on the Automaton Ships. Please forgive my simple drawings. I made them overnight in MS Paint.

One night? These look fantastic
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 10, 2013, 7:57:49 PM
So here's my design for the Automatons corvette. I'm still pretty new at posting but I'll start here with the smallest ship.

It's supposed to be a scout ship so I went ahead and but antenna and stuff on it and took most of my inspiration from the Tan-Erbo art on the wiki.

A on the side view corresponds to A on the front view and ect. ect.

C is supposed to glow like the picture of Tan-Erbo's head (?) and the engine exhaust is like the flames (?) coming from that sphere he's holding. The engraving pattern is from the same picture. The middle segment, with the swirly thing, is supposed to rotate.

So uh... yeah. That's pretty much it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 10, 2013, 10:31:02 PM
vahouth wrote:
Hello guys!

I don't know what my actual opinion is on these designs other than them being absolutely nuts.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 10, 2013, 11:58:11 PM
vahouth wrote:
Hello guys!

Paint can do that???!? Those are some really funky designs you got there smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 11, 2013, 1:57:12 AM
vahouth wrote:
Hello guys!

Just checking them over a second time, but I'm thinking you should probably switch the engines and the bridge. I didn't notice it at first but every time I try to rap my head around their orientation it makes my brain hurt.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 11, 2013, 4:09:04 PM
Javarino wrote:
Just checking them over a second time, but I'm thinking you should probably switch the engines and the bridge. I didn't notice it at first but every time I try to rap my head around their orientation it makes my brain hurt.

I actually like that part, it adds Alien Geometrie feel to the design.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 11, 2013, 5:19:37 PM
Digitalhawk96 wrote:
I don't know what my actual opinion is on these designs other than them being absolutely nuts.

Yes, I know, so are the Automatons themselves. smiley: biggrin

Panzer wrote:
Paint can do that???!? Those are some really funky designs you got there smiley: biggrin

Thanks!

Javarino wrote:

Well, yeah that could work too, but I aimed for them to be kind of messy and abstract. My inspiration mainly came from the devices in the Automaton wallpaper (those in the back).

Smight wrote:
I actually like that part, it adds Alien Geometrie feel to the design.

Thank you, glad you like them!

Btw I also made some perspective views of the ships so that you can have a better view.

I again apologize for the mess. smiley: smile

0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 11, 2013, 5:32:32 PM
I like your concepts very much smiley: biggrin

I think that they are very similar to the automatons style, and with the right color combination they can be pretty good smiley: wink

Maybe they can be more.. wide? I mean, in the perspective they seem a bit narrow :I

Maybe you could enlarge the white parts, not the rotating rings (not too much uh? smiley: biggrin)

However, they are amazing man ;D
0Send private message
Comment