Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Automaton - Ship Design Competition!

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Feb 11, 2013, 6:03:52 PM
Tredecim wrote:
vahout - awesome! Although I tink they look a bit too similar smiley: biggrin

Thank you! Only two are similar actually, Transport and Destroyer and that's because I wanted them to be like the ones of the other factions, you know... a transport is a Destroyer with a colony pod attached. smiley: wink

Samblaster wrote:
I like your concepts very much smiley: biggrin

I think that they are very similar to the automatons style, and with the right color combination they can be pretty good smiley: wink

Maybe they can be more.. wide? I mean, in the perspective they seem a bit narrow :I

Maybe you could enlarge the white parts, not the rotating rings (not too much uh? smiley: biggrin)

However, they are amazing man ;D

Thanks! The larger ones are more wide. The Battlecruiser has a bug like shell with bumps on both sides and the Dreadnought is considerably more wide with a triangular shape like this:

0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 11, 2013, 6:07:08 PM
vahouth wrote:
Thank you! Only two are similar, Transport and Destroyer and that';s because I wanted them to be like the ones of the other factions, you know... a transport is a Destroyer with a colony pod attached. smiley: wink

Yeah, my train of thought smiley: biggrin

Good work so far, I already started thinking of places for the weapons smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 12, 2013, 12:21:12 AM
I now realize what it is. I'm starting to appreciate the "Alien geometry", but I just found it really hard to wrap my head around the engine location vs the bridge, even though I went back and tried it and it makes sense. The problem is that you made the engines red and the bridge blue, my eyes were simply drawn to the red engines while the blue blended in with the rest of the ship.

Love the top down view, gives them a distinctive silhouette
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 12, 2013, 2:41:58 AM
At this point I am sitting here and thinking to myself, can I even compete with this? :/ I finished my Automaton Destroyer depiction though, so here it is, but please note, the color scheme is up for debate I was simply picking the colors that made sense smiley: smile

Some segments of the ship could also be modified slightly such as the front and back, but in general it should stick with the "floating platform" feel.

Comments/criticisms are quite welcome !
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 12, 2013, 5:47:26 AM
I don't even care if I win anymore, I'm having too much fun creating concepts. I borrowed a little from your idea Panzer, but not too much I hope.

0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 12, 2013, 10:35:53 PM
i think that something like a series of concentric gear rings would look really good possibly around some kind of mechanical sphere to give a neo-mechanic feel meshed with cyber-punk
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 12, 2013, 11:12:11 PM
Javarino wrote:
I don't even care if I win anymore, I'm having too much fun creating concepts. I borrowed a little from your idea Panzer, but not too much I hope.

I don't mind you borrowing, but oh my god, that looks quite similar to the pen and paper cruiser I drew 2 days ago. Try doing the battleship, maybe that will match up too xD
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 12, 2013, 11:39:25 PM
Panzer wrote:
At this point I am sitting here and thinking to myself, can I even compete with this? :/ I finished my Automaton Destroyer depiction though, so here it is, but please note, the color scheme is up for debate I was simply picking the colors that made sense smiley: smile

Some segments of the ship could also be modified slightly such as the front and back, but in general it should stick with the "floating platform" feel.

Comments/criticisms are quite welcome !

Whats with the fire in the front haha, that only happens when you enter orbit because you have to break through the atmosphere smiley: ohh
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 13, 2013, 12:03:11 AM
stasik28 wrote:
Whats with the fire in the front haha, that only happens when you enter orbit because you have to break through the atmosphere smiley: ohh

Its more of a hyperspace trail xD The ships are using their dust engines (The two swirly circle structures) to accelerate themselves through space smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 13, 2013, 12:10:26 AM
Panzer wrote:
I don't mind you borrowing, but oh my god, that looks quite similar to the pen and paper cruiser I drew 2 days ago. Try doing the battleship, maybe that will match up too xD

Yeah, once again sorry. I wanted something that fit with your canon of orbital platforms but kept my concentric rings idea. I have two more in production that are definitely dissimilar though.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 13, 2013, 12:17:38 AM
Javarino wrote:
Yeah, once again sorry. I wanted something that fit with your canon of orbital platforms but kept my concentric rings idea. I have two more in production that are definitely dissimilar though.

Dont worry about it man smiley: smile It's looking like those bad ass asymmetric MS paint ships will likely win :/
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 13, 2013, 12:57:51 AM
Well, travelling through hyperspace will look like this image below VVV (at least for the people travelling through it)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 13, 2013, 2:18:02 AM
Panzer wrote:
Dont worry about it man smiley: smile It's looking like those bad ass asymmetric MS paint ships will likely win :/

I dunno, I thought the point of this contest was not who had the best looking "art" and who actually had good ship ideas. Ultra-complexity doesn't always = good concept. I can't see the end vote being too one-sided.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 13, 2013, 9:44:35 AM
panzer wrote:
at this point i am sitting here and thinking to myself, can i even compete with this? :/ i finished my automaton destroyer depiction though, so here it is, but please note, the color scheme is up for debate i was simply picking the colors that made sense smiley: smile

some segments of the ship could also be modified slightly such as the front and back, but in general it should stick with the "floating platform" feel.

comments/criticisms are quite welcome !

i love these <3
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 13, 2013, 10:12:39 AM
I decided to add a little more fuel to the fire so... here my 2nd take on the Automaton Spaceships smiley: smile

I'' be back with the Dreadnought later today.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 13, 2013, 6:13:51 PM
Quite tough concepts, I shall say. But, although I really like the looks and I got no my own ideas, I have one question. Should automaton's ships really look so much like automatons themselves? Because it's like United Empire will build giant human-like robot torsos instead of spaceships.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 13, 2013, 6:25:00 PM
Depends if you consider them to be the robots you see, or the ghost in the shell.

Their ships could simply be space worth bodys for them to inhabit, similar to an organic race.....but not.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 13, 2013, 8:38:42 PM
I like the designs offered by Vahouth. Great job! In fact, I like his better than the ones I did!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 13, 2013, 10:43:36 PM
FarOceans wrote:
I like the designs offered by Vahouth. Great job! In fact, I like his better than the ones I did!

Thank you! You have done a great job yourself as well.

In fact the reason I'm posting a second line of ships is because I want (with my limited resources :P) to inspire if I can other people to share their thoughts and talent.

As you and some other guys in here have inspired me to give it a go. smiley: wink

And as I promised, here is the Dreadnought.

0Send private message
Comment