Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Design: Creating your own faction

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 22, 2012, 5:49:17 PM
I hope there will be race traits to select that do not appear on any of the premade races. That would be cool, to have some options only be available to a custom race.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 23, 2012, 10:41:29 PM
I did not read all 7 pages, but I must say I REALLY REALLY LIKE THE CUSTOMIZATION IDEA. It's like being in an old C&C game again...almost. But wouldn't when you change a faction trait to a positive it equally balances out a negative at the same time?(yes this is vague) I understand they tend to only have 1-3 negatives, but you know people will take things to extreme exploitations of traits(take sowers and their industry...). It's more of: How could this work out right? what will our full on limitations be(part of me hopes you say "endless" and it be far more than a pun)? and will we see these custom/modded races usable by the AI anytime(I include pirates here because more variety!)? also will we see pirates have more variety of ships as if from all races for pirates if maybe later in the game they have an endless ship or more?

Now I am not sure of forum rules or if I'm allowed to paste a link, but customization-wise: http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/7275/tsuck6co.jpg because it was an example what I used to toy with in mechcommander 2. Which is why I REALLY like the customization idea for endless space races.

And I know this is customization-wise, but will it be possible to BE pirates if the custom race works out?(I had to, I'm a mercenary at heart in ways)

This is obviously asthetics, but will traits and changes on a modded race also give distinctive differences to ships if say bonus defenses, bonus armor, bonus weapons, bonus to engines? Like say besides possible color differences or changes: from a weakened or/if smaller appearance -> normal -> stronger, bigger, more armor plating or something of detail that they are more advanced in that department.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 29, 2012, 11:33:27 PM
would it be possible to choose the pirate shipset? they look friggin cool, like inspired by the vaygr of Homeworld 2 smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 6:46:00 PM
SpaceTroll wrote:
If you prefer to create your own space faring civilization, to play the game your own way, you can do so by picking every trait that will be part of your people's DNA.

What defines a faction? A visual, an affinity and a list of traits.

The affinity is a very strong orientation for a faction; which will give one powerful Ability and a unique Tech Tree (modifying the main tech tree).

Regarding the Traits you have 80 points to spend. Each Trait is declined in several versions, the more powerful they are, the more they cost.

Some Traits have a negative version of themselves, giving a malus to the player. By choosing it, you will get extra points to spend on other Traits.

Obviously the list as you see below is subject to changes, especially concerning cost and effect smiley: smile

I think there is a problem. You say there are 80 points to spend, but when I go into the races they all show build totals like "72/65" or "69/60" and are in the red, indicating that they have exceeded their point allotment. Not only are the points available not 80, but it's not even consistent from race to race. What's up with that?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 6:49:36 PM
I believe they gave the race-affinities costs. I'm not sure, though.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 10:04:57 PM
Then standard races are not built to be 'fair' with custom races. Almost all of them exceed the points allotment.

This indicates to me there needs to be more points alloted to custom races...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 7:38:39 PM
Iceciro wrote:
This indicates to me there needs to be more points alloted to custom races...

I strongly disagree, custom factions should have a lower cap than the predefined. I believe they are being taken into multiplayer and you can just make too much of a powerhouse without a lower cap. With all the balance and design work that has gone into them I feel they deserve that spot. Clicking on Pilgrims and deleting their negative and coming up with some BS ones to "balance" the points doesn't make for a very fun group to play.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment