Yes, get it in there!
Maybe, worth a try...
No, I don't think it would work.
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 7:43:11 PM
Good idea.

I can think of several situations in which this could be useful, such as preserving a scout ship that is used to boost the fleet's sight range, travel speed and regeneration.

It could get a bit daunting to deal with quickly if there are too many things to choose from, though. Fleet battles are currently a nice and snappy affair, so I'm all in favour of keeping it down to 5 or 6 formations that have a clear rock-paper-scissors style reaction and counter, just as we have with ship building decisions and choice of battle cards.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 6:47:16 PM
ZBeevr wrote:
If at all possible, I'd love to have the ability to create my own formation and have that as a selectable option for the future.

I also believe I understand what you're saying about how the random targeting would work, but would it be possible to give your fleet weighted targets such as "target carriers first" or "finish off any damaged ships" or simply "focus on ships with highest offensive output"?

I am open to adding new formations if they would add to the system, but I think that I got the important ones.

Remember that if we have too many formations, then countering enemy formations becomes less effective.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 6:29:45 PM
If at all possible, I'd love to have the ability to create my own formation and have that as a selectable option for the future.

I also believe I understand what you're saying about how the random targeting would work, but would it be possible to give your fleet weighted targets such as "target carriers first" or "finish off any damaged ships" or simply "focus on ships with highest offensive output"?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 4:55:02 PM
The way this could work would be to assign each ship a number based on its command points and then modified based on what formations are chosen by each player. Each time a ship fires, it randomly selects a target based on how big its number was.

Wedge and Phalanx would give ships bigger or smaller, respectively, numbers based on how much fire they have taken

Column and Sphere (still looking or better names!) would modify it based on how big a ship was.

Flanking and Wall would modify it based on the ships ratio of firepower to defense/hp/repair.

The amount each one is modified could, of course, be tweaked for balancing. smiley: cool
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 1:11:35 PM
Yep I like this idea too. It add a deeper aspect to battles and also involves a little bit more the player
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 12:58:34 PM
Thats a great idea. it makes the battles more complex with a "simple" choice.

Maybe you have to choose two styles. one for offense purpose for example target the lager enemy ships and one for defense for example your defense ships try to take more fire to cover your vulnerable ships from your enemy.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 6:34:59 AM
Great idea! Simple and elegant, it is a very good concept I think.

With one simple idea you please everyone : formation's fans and targeting's fans, well done. smiley: smile
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment