Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] More galaxy shapes

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 11:21:48 AM
Tonberry wrote:
Would be cool if we could get photos of real galaxies and just import them into the game both as background and as having it choose stars in them to be systems

That's an interesting idea but I'm sure it won't work, as far as I can tell the galaxies aren't static pictures, they are zones of gases which is why they look different when you zoom in. I think this solution is another good job of the devs. But as said it doesn't work with static pictures, they won't be able to do more than giving a rough shape to develop on.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 12:49:03 AM
Yeh, its an experiment. It does work though with gradients. Here is a what it looks like - large size, many connections between stars, few worm holes & many resources. Everything else normal.

[ATTACH]1244[/ATTACH]

Part of the experiment was to see what the white and the black actually does in the region map. This map, though I had few wormholes setting, doesn't have any wormholes at all (no black between regions, only white). So I am thinking that the black is there between regions for worm holes. White or any colour value is just for normal string connections. This may be true of the density map also or instead, I don't know yet, though I think perhaps the Density map just does density.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 2:50:30 PM
JavidMephisto wrote:
Also have a think about nebulae as a very early version of galaxies. These are centres where stars are created and haven't yet formed into a distintive pattern, hence our wonderful collection of them in the universe.

It's possible that these could have an great impact if used in conjunction with a more 'randomly generated' galatic structure. And also allowing for awesome visuals and more varied (less predictable) setup and gameplay.

To keep the 'science' involved however, these nebulae are the construction zones for new stars and hence are galaxies in the very early stages of constructions (meaning fewer stars than the normal Endless Space Galaxies would contain), but that's only if we keep strictly to the science of the situation.

I nearly skipped your message, good I noticed it just now. I'll definitely remember that when the time to make a mod comes, would be cool if the devs would already include that but I guess it might be a little too much work. However I already have a few ideas on this.

Bob_the_Blob wrote:
This might be the wrong place to post, but no matter what galaxy you have(e.g. Elliptical, Spiral, or the very "stellar" ring galaxies-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hoag%27s_object.jpg-

They should all have Nebula like thishttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_Nebula-or this-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trifid_Nebula- and maybe some pulsars-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chandra-crab.jpg- these are just some ideas, (the ring galaxy would is pretty cool) but sorry if I high-jacked this post. I just wanted to get this out there.smiley: cool

I already made suggestions for these in another post, feel free to make additions there if you have some: /#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13262-suggestion-stellar-construction

Thanks for all the feedback smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 1:58:10 PM
This might be the wrong place to post, but no matter what galaxy you have(e.g. Elliptical, Spiral, or the very "stellar" ring galaxies-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hoag%27s_object.jpg-

They should all have Nebula like thishttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_Nebula-or this-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trifid_Nebula- and maybe some pulsars-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chandra-crab.jpg- these are just some ideas, (the ring galaxy would is pretty cool) but sorry if I high-jacked this post. I just wanted to get this out there.smiley: cool
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 12:41:52 PM
I'd like there to be at least one map type prone to generating huge uncrossable voids. I'm a big fan of bottlenecks... and of back-handed Warp attacks from unexpected angles. Nothing says "I have a schtick and I'm going to beat you with it" like a warp-armada coming up your back door.

Back in Masters of Orion 3, I remember occasionally using STL armadas for this purpose. Sure, they take 80 turns to arrive, but that just makes the victory sweeter. The enemy can watch as their doom slowly gets closer. And closer. And closer. And they can do nothing to avert it because my ships are just that much superior.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 12:02:35 PM
Zuran wrote:
Hello, sorry for my broken english again. it would be nice, when i could switch between different galaxys, with more pictures between the loadscreen. i miss the feeling to get inside the galaxy and the spacesystems.

Mayby some short video sequenzis. The feeling of the gameplay is great and well structured, but i need more intensiv emmotions of beeing a part of my galaxy, which i conquerd for example.

While I see your point I don't think it's related to this thread, I haven't seen this suggestion here either. I'd recommend you to make a new thread with a little more detail, then post a link here.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 11:56:48 AM
Also have a think about nebulae as a very early version of galaxies. These are centres where stars are created and haven't yet formed into a distintive pattern, hence our wonderful collection of them in the universe.

It's possible that these could have an great impact if used in conjunction with a more 'randomly generated' galatic structure. And also allowing for awesome visuals and more varied (less predictable) setup and gameplay.

To keep the 'science' involved however, these nebulae are the construction zones for new stars and hence are galaxies in the very early stages of constructions (meaning fewer stars than the normal Endless Space Galaxies would contain), but that's only if we keep strictly to the science of the situation.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 11:53:30 AM
Hello, sorry for my broken english again. it would be nice, when i could switch between different galaxys, with more pictures between the loadscreen. i miss the feeling to get inside the galaxy and the spacesystems.

Mayby some short video sequenzis. The feeling of the gameplay is great and well structured, but i need more intensiv emmotions of beeing a part of my galaxy, which i conquerd for example.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 11:44:12 AM
SABA wrote:
Here's another 1 I created & have been using, just for a bit of an experiment.

Doesn't look realistic but interesting. However you should fix the regions map, as far as I know it definitely shouldn't have any gradients, it should have clear and seperate sections like the pictures in the game folder.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 11:25:30 AM
Here's another 1 I created & have been using, just for a bit of an experiment.

0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 12:59:43 AM
As the title suggest I'd recommend adding a few more galaxy shapes, for example types where there are a bunch of small galaxies only linked with 1 or 2 wormholes, stuff like that. But here comes something even better, I already made the basic templates (regions and density) for something called polar ring galaxy.

Edit: Since I'm getting good feedback, here is one more example, the polar ring ovoid galaxy.

Edit2: Added an example for a 3-arm spiral galaxy, probably useful when you're playing with 3/6 players.

Regions:

Density:

The inspiration for the first and how it could roughly look like:

Hoag's Object

The inspiration for the second and how it could roughly look like:

Side note: The actual galaxy looks different; in this case I really just used the picture as inspiration and an example.

The inspiration for the third was the thought of a game with 3/6 players and having them evenly shared through the galaxy. Not even sure if that shape is actually possible.

I'm not perfectly content with how it turned out but it looks somewhat ok I think.

Feedback, more ideas, want to see more shapes?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 10:03:19 AM
Would be cool if we could get photos of real galaxies and just import them into the game both as background and as having it choose stars in them to be systems
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 19, 2012, 7:06:00 PM
Made an example and the 2 according templates for a 3-arm spiral galaxy.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 8:56:20 AM
KNC wrote:
As the title suggest I'd recommend adding a few more galaxy shapes, for example types where there are a bunch of small galaxies only linked with 1 or 2 wormholes, stuff like that. But here comes something even better, I already made the basic templates (regions and density) for something called polar ring galaxy.

Edit: Since I'm getting good feedback, here is one more example, the polar ring ovoid galaxy.

Regions:

Density:

The inspiration for the first and how it could roughly look like:

Hoag's Object

The inspiration for the second and how it could roughly look like:

Side note: The actual galaxy looks different; in this case I really just used the picture as inspiration and an example.

Feedback, more ideas?

Added to summary list under Game Play > General > More Galaxy Shapes
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 8:03:35 AM
Wotan wrote:
Please continue, KNC smiley: smile

Espescially the first one is great. I'll ask my physics teacher for more types smiley: biggrin

More galaxies and more of the first type for you, added an ovoid version of the polar ring galaxy smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 7:16:49 AM
Please continue, KNC smiley: smile

Espescially the first one is great. I'll ask my physics teacher for more types smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 6:32:17 AM
I like the idea of the first one. I would be happy to see it in the game, either in normal game or as a Mod. But there will surely be more Galaxie design than now in the final game. Anyway it is a nice idea smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 3:49:34 AM
Yeah, as for the first picture, there is somthing similar, twin eliptical, but the picture still is something I'd take as inspiration.

The second one is actually in the game just like that, however I think a normal 2 arm galaxy would be neat as well.

As for the third picture... NO! lol smiley: biggrin

Jokes aside I think I already have some more inspiration, I'm going to start making the templates in a few hours and I'm going to include a few more ideas and examples sometime this day.

And I know these galaxies are going to make it into the game, either directly or through mods, and in case it's a mod I'll be sure to make a big variety of galaxies.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment