Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Fuel tanks

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 7:13:27 PM
Gungy wrote:
Can't have fuel, the ships don't use fuel. I thought they used a varying source of fusion. So even though they do need fuel the amount required to power the ship would be an insignificant amount in comparison to actual ship mass. So that to me says they could carry more than they could possible ever use.

Do remeber that 'fuel' in most games is also an abstract way of also saying food and ammunition supplys, i would like to see some kind of system like this, but i can understand the hesitation. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 2:14:16 PM
Can't have fuel, the ships don't use fuel. I thought they used a varying source of fusion. So even though they do need fuel the amount required to power the ship would be an insignificant amount in comparison to actual ship mass. So that to me says they could carry more than they could possible ever use.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 2:02:55 PM
Just use territorial attrition damage.

1. If you orbit enemy planets, then you start taking damage per game turn.

2. If your repair rate is lacking, then your HP will drop

3. Damage dependent on excursion depth.

It should do the trick of limiting your travel distance, and easy to implement because some existing features share similar calculations.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 1:45:00 PM
I think adding fuel would be nice.I liked that feature in Sword of thde stars. Traveling to and over the point of no return would allow new strategies.risking the fleet or not risiking the fleet that is here the question. Adds a new class of ship into the game. The tanker. It would extend your operating range.Fuel would change the game and how it is played. Just think, a fleet with no fuel would be an easy target. maybe you can earn new tech that way
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 3:56:29 AM
Eminent_Waffle wrote:
after all, engines provide power and speed, fuel determines distance.

Not in a vacuum. Neither speed nor fuel determine distance, seen as there are relatively no forces to slow them down (assuming you avoid gravitational pulls etc.), you will keep going towards your destination, until acted upon by an opposing force. The only 'fuel' required is solely for acceleration and deceleration. Given the same amount of fuel, a faster engine will reach a location before the slower engine (ignoring further discrepancies of physics) due to its greater acceleration, but both will reach the location thereby achieving the same distance.

However, given that Endless Space is a turn based game, it's safe to assume that each turn represents a given amount of time. Therefore, a faster engine with the same amount of fuel (and the same consumption) will travel further per turn and will arrive earlier.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 2:12:46 AM
I agree with Mansen, also for reality's sake. It's hard to imagine type II/III civilizations lugging around fuel.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 8:01:48 PM
If we have to see any kind of fuel usage, we need to do away with the nodeline movement and make ships be able to fly X distance from the nearest system (depending on the development level). I seem to recall MOO2 having a similar similar to this?

But no - I'd prefer no fuel. Let people flank as mad as they wish.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 6:56:29 PM
I don't think we need to add fuel to the game. I like the simple system that we have, it's fun and easy to get, and don't see the point of making it more complicated. It'd be like requiring you to keep up fully stocked supply lines in a Total War game.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment