Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Understanding Dust Production and Income in a System

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 4:42:11 PM
FelixJames wrote:
Thanks for bringing to the surface a gameplay mechanic that isn't explicit, it's always greatly appreciated by the community! As far as my take on the tax system goes...

I've never messed with the tax rates, and have never had unhappy citizens except for when I annexed a system within the past few turns. Even then, I can typically build happiness improvements instantly with the dust buyout option (because I make enough from taxes) and bring production back up to nominal levels with no problems whatsoever.

Some people have been concerned that the taxes come out of the gross income... but it makes perfect sense to me. After all, the "government" is covering the cost of the improvements entirely. The reason governments tax profit is because corporations spend their own resources in operating costs and infrastructure improvements necessary to support their production. However, in Endless Space, the "government" is the one paying for all the infrastructure and operating costs. As such, all income made by the colonists is profit, so that's why "income" is taxed.

But then why would the government tax itself in the first place?

The problem with the system in place is that it is counter-intuitive and hard to understand. Since the tax works like a multiplier on dust production only and not the profit (production - upkeep) of a system, it directly affects how effective dust producing improvements are. I personally find that it does not make sense that an improvement at 40% tax that is producing a profit for the system, suddenly is producing a dust deficit at 20% tax. This is why a system would make more sense to be taxed after its upkeep.

FelixJames wrote:
Also, I don't really see the Tax% confusion at low levels. If the default dust tax is 50% (or 1x income), then you can see why 10% tax is actually a 0.2x multiplier:

50% tax = 1x income

Divide both sides by 5:

10% tax = 0.2x income

So the above makes sense, once you know 50% is 1x income.

The problem with this is that no where in the game does it tell you that 50% is 1x multiplier. When people see 50% tax, they think that the empire is taking 50% of what the system produces after upkeep, just like any other tax. However, this is not the case and thinking this way can cause players to really ruin their dust production because the taxation system is so convoluted. And players that get confused, get frustrated and stop playing. Its as simple as that.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 23, 2012, 4:56:16 PM
Thanks for bringing to the surface a gameplay mechanic that isn't explicit, it's always greatly appreciated by the community! As far as my take on the tax system goes...

I've never messed with the tax rates, and have never had unhappy citizens except for when I annexed a system within the past few turns. Even then, I can typically build happiness improvements instantly with the dust buyout option (because I make enough from taxes) and bring production back up to nominal levels with no problems whatsoever.

Some people have been concerned that the taxes come out of the gross income... but it makes perfect sense to me. After all, the "government" is covering the cost of the improvements entirely. The reason governments tax profit is because corporations spend their own resources in operating costs and infrastructure improvements necessary to support their production. However, in Endless Space, the "government" is the one paying for all the infrastructure and operating costs. As such, all income made by the colonists is profit, so that's why "income" is taxed.

Also, I don't really see the Tax% confusion at low levels. If the default dust tax is 50% (or 1x income), then you can see why 10% tax is actually a 0.2x multiplier:

50% tax = 1x income

Divide both sides by 5:

10% tax = 0.2x income

So the above makes sense, once you know 50% is 1x income. The same holds true for a 25% tax rate:

50% tax = 1x income

Divide both sides by 2:

25% tax = 0.5x income

It's just a shame that the way that it scales is actually nonlinear, as 100% tax should be 2x income, not 1.5x income. I'm sure somebody (I'm too lazy) will come up with a curve charting the tax% vs the multiplier, but at first glance, it looks like the default of 50% is the optimum (also, it adds no negative penalties to happiness, which is pretty sweet). As for why 50% is the default "1x" multiplier (instead of "0.5x"), I don't know, but once you know that, the math starts to make sense.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 23, 2012, 4:21:29 PM
chef_brian wrote:
Bumping so this gets seen. It's a pretty big problem and it makes much more sense that the upgrades should have a constant figure unaffected by tax.

so.... from a system under ghost73's proposed tax reforms it should be

(dust generated - upkeep) = X

x +(x*(tax rate)) = revenue

Correct?

Example -

Dust generated = 100

Upkeep = 60

Tax rate = 20%

(100-60) = 40

40+(40*.2) = 48

Income = 48

Not quite, in this it seems the system income is counted twice, which is not exactly what I had in mind.

My proposal would be something like this:

(Dust production for a system - Upkeep) * tax rate = dust the system provides to the empire

So using your values of 100 produce at 60 upkeep:

(100 - 60) * 20% =

40 * 20% =

8 Dust

If you feel like the current system is too complicated and want to simplify it, help give my suggestion thread some support smiley: wink

Simplify Taxation System
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 21, 2012, 11:14:05 PM
Ghost73 wrote:

The Multiplier vs. Improvements (and how it kills them)

It can be very (extremely) bad for a player who does not understand the dust system to start building dust boosting improvements, especially at the beginning of a game when taxes are low to keep your population happy.

Let's take a look at the Careful Sweeping improvement, which gives a system +2 Dust for each explored moon at an upkeep of -4 Dust.

Most players would think they would need at least 3 moons for this improvement to have a net gain ([3x2] - 4 = 2). Wrong.

This is where the multiplier comes into play and this is what I mean when I say the tax level directly affects your dust production. Now read carefully.

At 25% tax, you get a multiplier of x0.5. So that +6 Dust you thought you were getting from the Careful Sweeping improvement on your system with 3 moons is actually +3 Dust. Now, since the multiplier comes into play before the upkeep, the improvement still costs you -4 Dust, for a net gain of -1 Dust. I'm gonna say this again: This is what I mean when I say the tax level directly affects your dust production.

At anything above 50% tax, you actually get a dust production bonus, which suddenly makes this improvement have a net positive gain in systems with just 2 or more moons. This can be very confusing because improvements are for the most part permanent, and should not have a production value based on your tax level.

This is terrible example ...Careful Sweeping operates at planetary level and provides +2 extra dust per population unit on each planet with an explored moon in the solar system ....

/#/endless-space/forum/33-strategy-guides/thread/14011-planetary-level-fids-output-guide

Solar System Level Dust Formula

DUST = Sum(trade routes dust) + [Sum(planetary_dust_output)+Sum(non_percentage_system_dust_sources)] * TAX_RATE_DUST_MOD*(1+Sum(percent_based_dust_sources )) - Hero_Upkeep - Sum(improvements upkeep) + INDUSTRY_TO_DUST_CONVERSION

Sum(non_percentage_system_dust_sources) - can only think of the planetary institute right now ( +6 d)

Sum(percent_based_dust_sources) - Hero Percent Dust bonus (2%*WIT stat), UE (10%) dust trait, Colonial Rights on ecstatic approval (10%)

Empire TAX - TAX_RATE_DUST_MOD table For UE faction

[CODE]

TAX_RATE(%) 0 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50 55 60 65 70 75 80 85 90 95 100

TAX_RATE_DUST_MOD(%) 0 15 30 45 60 70 80 85 90 95 100 105 110 115 120 125 130 135 140 145 150

[/CODE]

Few observations

Trade route dust is not affected by imperial tax ...

INDUSTRY_TO_DUST_CONVERSION is not affected by imperial tax or dust percent bonuses ...

TAX_RATE_DUST_MOD gets halved for systems that are outposts - not yet colonies ... That is why I run into dust isues when I fast expand smiley: smile

Set tax to 0 to completely nullify dust coming from planets and planetary institute(weirdest name because it is actually a system institute - or only one per system) ...

You need to crank up imperial tax to 15% to keep less than half (45%) of your planetary dust output ...

Only at 50% imperial tax you get to keep all your dust ...

more detailed post about system level FIDS output here /#/endless-space/forum/33-strategy-guides/thread/14013-solar-system-level-fids-guide
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 3, 2016, 8:51:17 PM

Ghost73, not sure if you will see this, and I must thank you for a great post which I have studied closely, and I must say I am not an expert in this game or the game mechanics (I am studying/learning them now), but I believe that the tax system has been misunderstood

"Tax level directly affects dust production." Is not correct. It should say

< Tax level directly affects your share of dust production.> If you study the dust production on a planet and system, you will see that it remains unchanged regardless of tax rate. The system tax calculation has a line near the bottom which shows the amount of dust that "the people" keep. As tax rate increases, this amount reduces. We the player are "the government" not the people. We must pay for improvements etc ... Not the people. That line of what the people get (their share) is shown as a "loss" because you need to view this summary as the dust that the government (the player) gets. I refer to your original 35% tax picture summary on your original post. Above the second last line (tax for system), which is the loss, the amount the government loses,  because the people keep that amount, are "actual" dust figures/production. And these lines above don't change.

So to repeat. The tax calculation you see is what we the player receive, the government, and it shows both "actual" dust production (which remains unchanged) and "what share" the people get of it, which depends on the tax rate. Lower the tax, and we the government get a lesser share of it. It makes sense to me.

From what I can see, the parameter that does effect production are approval bonuses.

Reading this post has highlighted for me how imoortant it is to understand the calculations in-game. Without understanding them you are making decisions flying blind, which your post pointed out so well. Hope this helps.

Endless812

0Send private message
10 years ago
Jan 3, 2014, 7:40:07 AM
You know what?

I'm playing this game for some 500 hours, many times I thought I master it, but after reading this old thread I couldn't stop my self from replying to it to say that I never cared about dust system until now.

That was very informative, thanks to the thread starter for this crystal-valued input!
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 4, 2013, 4:25:59 AM
Is there anyway to modify the tax level ?

In which file/section ?

Thanks.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 2, 2013, 12:26:16 PM
FelixJames wrote:
The government isn't "taxing itself," it is covering the operation costs for huge projects in the interest of bettering its people. Making profit isn't always the goal. If it doesn't expect its citizens to pay very much for taxes, then it may not be able to make enough of a profit to fund such projects (system improvements).

For any facility to run, a certain amount of resources need to be spent on keeping it operational. We'll use a factory as an example. It needs a power source, technicians, engineers, laborers, raw materials, a way to transport the materials to/from the facility, repairs, replacement parts, and countless other things. If the government is footing the bill for all of those things, then lowering the taxes won't change the costs for any of those components. It will mean that of what is produced, less will be taken for the government to use as profit. Again, if the government receives less income from the operation of the facility than it spends on the operation of said facility, then it will have to pay the remainder from other sources. Either way, the government assumes liability to keep it operational, and it's simply a matter of how much of the production the government gets.

(Sorry if I'm being overly repetitious.)

I wrote a lot, but basically I'd just like to point out that if you raise taxes then you raise upkeep. Raising and lowering the taxes will affect the costs for all of those components as you use labour to provide for all of it, with a low tax rate people can drop their wage or price of whatever they produce.

Upkeep is directly related to tax.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 17, 2012, 6:42:56 PM
The tax system should allow maintenance to be tax deductible.

And trade should be taxed.

With the above two things, I would find the system much clearer.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 10:03:41 PM
Oneiros42 wrote:
Well, since this thread's already been necro'd, I just wanted to know if the economic system's the same as it was when this thread was first posted? Or has it been replaced with something that's clear and understandable?

Not sure what oyu mean by "clear and understandable". Although I don't know how the specific tax multipliers work and their formulas, I do know the same general idea holds: dust income is dependent on tax rate, with lower tax rates resulting in less dust income and higher tax rates causing the opposite. If the tax rate is low enough, most dust improvments become worthless.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 1, 2012, 2:13:28 AM
Well, since this thread's already been necro'd, I just wanted to know if the economic system's the same as it was when this thread was first posted? Or has it been replaced with something that's clear and understandable?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 29, 2012, 11:01:47 AM
superduper handydandy will it break even? guidelines:

TR= tax rate; BE = affected population required to break even

xenotourism agency: 100/TR = BE

careful sweeping: 75/TR = BE

but for the united empire the formulas are:

xenotourism agency: 67/TR = BE

careful sweeping: 50/TR = BE

how about some examples....

hey, i'm not playing the united empire and my tax rate is 15%. when will xenotourism agencies start making money?

well friend, if you consult the superduper handydandy will it break even? guidelines you'll see that 100/15 gives you a break even point of 6.6666667 affected population. with 7 population you'll actually be earning 0.1 dust per turn! swell.

hey, this time i am playing the united empire and my tax rate is 25%. when will careful sweeping start making money?

thanks, bud. you picked the one occasion where the superduper handydandy will it break even? guidelines fail. 50/25 gives a break even point of 2 population. however, if you use the values linked in peddroelm's post above then you will find that 2 UE population would only produce 2.8 dust. that's a net loss of 0.2 dust per turn. sadface.

PS - it should be noted that the superduper handydandy will it break even? guidelines only work on tax rates under 50%.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 23, 2012, 6:40:14 AM
You don't want to just waste production (specially early when production is scarce ) for an improvement that doesn't cost you money .. (was testing to see at which point they stop wasting money - but they are not free buildings, they do cost industry to build so them to worth the time to build they must also provide some bonus ...

So for the purpose of this exercise will consider Xenotourism Agencies worth building if it brings in at least 3 DPT (dust per turn) on top of its maintenance cost ...And Careful Sweeping (which costs more industry to build) worth building if it brings 6 DPT on top of its maintenance cost..

We must do those calculation for a certain setting of empire TAX Level ... At the beginning (1 colony and many many outposts) you empire tax level will low... Raising taxes on outposts (double nerfed dust wise) wields marginal dust increases while heavily penalizing food, industry and science outputs ...So lets do the math for 20% empire tax level so TAX_RATE_DUST_MOD% will be ( 60 colony/30 outpost ) for UE faction and ( 40 /20) for Sophons and Amoebas (will check later for the other factions)

For UE faction

Outpost

Xenotourism

N * 0.3 * 1.1 > 2+3

N > 15+ (the outpost will probably evolve into a colony way before that)

Careful Sweeping

2*N*0.3*1.1 > 3+6

N> 14+ (the outpost will probably evolve into a colony way before that)

No need to do math on Sophon or Amoebas (even worse) -> Finnancial improvements NEVER WORTH IT on outposts .. FUHGHETTABOUGHIT ...

30-40 turns latter ON (mostly colonies) - perhaps a few approval techs/improvements down the line you can crank taxes up to 35% (85% UE /70% Amoeba & Sophon)

For UE

Xenotourism

N*0.85*1.1 > 2+3 ...

N > 5.347 ...

5 will just about do it - but it MUST be a colony and EMPIRE TAX RATE at least 35%

Carefull Sweeping

2*N*0.85*1.1 > 3+6

N > 4.812

5 will just about do it - but it MUST be a colony and EMPIRE TAX RATE at least 35%

What About Amoeba//Sophon ?

Xenotourism

N*0.7 > 2+3 ...

N > 7.1428 ...

7 will just about do it - but it MUST be a colony and EMPIRE TAX RATE at least 35%

Carefull Sweeping

2*N*0.7 > 3+6

N > 6.428

7 will just about do it - but it MUST be a colony and EMPIRE TAX RATE at least 35%
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 23, 2012, 4:21:20 PM
Roumain wrote:
Quite simple, but not very realistic.

What you propose is as if the empire generate the structure profits AND receive the tax (40+40*0.2).

That's creating money from nothing. Taxes never generate money, work does.

Well, depending on the social/political environment, but thats neither here nor there.

But keep in mind the empire pays for and builds the structure, so which are they? Producer or Taxer?
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 18, 2012, 1:36:13 PM
I really like the tax system this game uses because:

1. It is realistic. A lot of games where you are the government have "dumb" tax systems that better model taxes from the citizen standpoint than the goverment standpoint. The tax tradeoffs are very real in this game; it certainly forces you to be more stingy on improvement spam and actually think about what to build and where.

2. There is an attempt to impliment a Laffer Curve! The diminishing returns on revenue increase as tax rate is increased is a real phenomenon, and I've never seen it implimented in a 4x game in this way. It's a simplified version, but it's cool to actually see that in a game!

Where the problems are are in clarity and explanation. The concepts of avoiding improvement spam and the income multiplier (as more of your production is kept by your citizens) need to be spelled out clearly by the game.

For those not happy with the system; remember that the REASON your citizens get so happy when you lower tax rates is that they are getting to keep all that money you were previously extracting from them!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 18, 2012, 12:48:55 PM
Nice - save hammers early game by not building the dust improvements - drop taxes - crank up food(growth), production & science... Grow and export population till you fill all systems ... Keep economy afloat with industry to dust conversions ..

Later once when you research and put up approval improvements you can start to crank up the taxes towards 100% put up the dust improvements and drown in dust ...
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 11, 2012, 8:22:20 PM
I RE-created this table for myself using the information in this thread. Numbers listed on the table are the required populations to cover maintenance of the improvement. I rounded them up for my own convenience. I also cut off a couple of columns, but you get the idea, and it's smaller this way. Tax rates went from 10 to 60 because I've never had cause to leave those brackets, and the cutoffs change only a little beyond that. Apologies if someone's already put one of these together.

I do wonder a lot about Careful Sweeping. It seems terrible as it is, and I'm also leaning toward it actually returning 2 dust per person on each planet with a moon. UPDATE: Tested in my current game, and it does indeed seem to produce 2 per pop per surveyed moon. Now it has the lowest cutoff of all, but that makes some sense as it's dependent on both surveying moons (dependent on having researched Adaptive Colonies) and population. The others can be built in any high-pop system.

Submitted for your feedback and/or use. *Now updated from the 1.0.5 version.*

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment