Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Understanding Dust Production and Income in a System

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 1:07:58 PM
Wow dust is much more complicatged than I understood. I had wondered why it seemed most upgrades were at a loss. Now it makes more sense becuase of the multiplier. This game is going to have a little trouble gathering more casual gamer due to complexity but it is very cool because of it. After reading this thread I think I now understand why I was petering out so bad come mid game. Going to have to rethink my strategy. I am used to all upgrades having a psotitive effect so I had figured there was something I did not understand. While the latter was true the former was not and placing upgrades does require more thought than I was originally putting into it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 1:04:37 PM
Thanks, I really didn't understood the system until I read your thread. Honestly, the system seems counterintuitive... in this kind of games, numbers and their meaning have a huge impact on player decisions, it should be easy to understand when an improvement is worthwile or not, and at the moment it's foggy
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 11:49:14 AM
I dont think it needs an overhaul, as upkeep has nothing to do with tax levels, so its more realistic. It just needs to be more balanced
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 9:52:13 AM
I think this is not so good.

I thin it should be changed so that it works as a percentage and is

also influenced by the happines.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 9:31:46 AM
Nice threat. I think i'm going to have a few settings to do to my dust improvements smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 9:01:37 AM
supersoaker9 wrote:
Yep nevermind. math boo. boo.

Improvement upkeep does not scale with tax rate.

So with 10% tax => x0.2 my formula would be x*0.2 - 3 >= 1

which means x >= 4 * 5 =20

So, 20 pop on appropriate planets in system to get atleast 1 dust at 10% tax ewwwww.

I normally set taxes at or below 25% => x0.5 meaning 8 pop minimum to get at least 1 dust out of building improvements. Ewwww! I have been doing it wrong. smiley: frown

I need to scrap some system improvements. Lots of system improvements.

Just to precise, the calculs are correct to gain 1 dust.

But if You want to know about gain only (not 1 dust but just gain).

The calcul will be :

x*0.2-3>0

x>3/0.2

x>15

You need 16 people on planets type I and II (don't forget that also) in the system to start gain dust. In this case the gain will be : +0.2 dust.

The general calcul is to balance :

Upkeep/(tax multiplier*dust gain per"thing")=number of this "thing"

The thing are the people in xenotourism, the moons in careful sweeping...

With 10% tax rate (multiplier 0.2) and careful sweeping (upkeep 4dust)

4/(0.2*2)= 10 moons.

So you need one more to gain dust. 11 moons to gain dust at 10% tax rate with careful sweeping... Ouch, We have 6 planets maximum smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 8:21:07 AM
cool thread. you can't take things on face value. too bad i am not inclined to figure this out atm...
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 5:59:50 AM
That was illuminating. I thought something odd was going on with the Dust/tax system while playing my latest game on large map, building lots of dust improvements. This clears it up pretty nicely. Thanks Ghost73!

Hopefully there will be clear ingame explanation about this in the full game, as you can quite easily misunderstand the tax system, and ruin your dust economy accidentally. That is, if the tax system remains like this. Alpha versions...
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment