Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Mod] Endless Dream

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 3:24:29 AM
Hupailija wrote:
This is actually mostly because of my mild autism. I can see mathematical patterns and formulas (notice though that I am at average worse than normal person to calculate numbers in head) easily and solve logical puzzles too. My IQ from last test was 146... bad side for it is my completly blindness to almost everything what requires memory and languages are fine example of it.
I know the feeling. As an elementary schooler, I got an honorable mention (score in the 10th percentile or so) on a voluntary test in which more participants were high-schoolers. Unlike you however, my specialties are language comprehension and spatial reasoning, but I also have quite the knack for science and math. Not to brag, but I was my teacher's second choice for the school-wide math award and I often corrected my science teacher on subjects large and small.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 4:55:21 AM
Jbox wrote:
What I was trying to say is that I was able to research only the first two levels in the technology tree, but when I clicked on the next level up I could not research it. This was despite the fact that I had researched all prerequisites. I did create a custom race and selected the alignment, just as you adviced. And I could see the technology tree just fine, just could not click on any technology beyond the second circle from the center of the new technology branch.

I'm about to download your latest and try it out. Just had read the forum first, I'm almost enjoying the topics. smiley: smile

EDIT: By the way I'm talking about the Sowers. I now have the latest version, and all technology branches are fine, except the industry branch, I still can't select past the fist skill(Temple of Anger Management).

[code]

$(TraitGranary)

TechGoodT01;TechEvilT01;TechNeutralT01

TechGoodT01;TechEvilT01;TechNeutralT01

%TechGranaryT01Title

%TechGranaryT01Description

[/code]

thanks for telling about this, I have tried to do something what should work, what could work but what really doesn't. I fix this bug and curse developers smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 6:25:07 AM

If i will have the Time.. (Of Course B5 Mod comes first) and there is Model Suport for Creating Ships, i could help you out with making 3D Models of Ships. smiley: biggrin

Of Course i would need Artwork to create them..

Problem is that right now game doesn't allow player made graphics (would annoy me if I could create graphics) and I don't think that game easily lets one switch 3d models.... this is rather annoying (thankfully I can't draw).

Oh well, I first need to create everything before I ask someone else to draw 30+ different ships, 300+ different weapons, 60+ different modules and so on smiley: biggrin.

I'm fairly sure that you have done Babylon 5 and are in your next project before I reach to point where I could think about adding own graphics.

I have some kind of idea what different things looks like and how they work.. it's just that to transfer my imagination to working project is always bit hard. :P

FOOD STORAGE BUILDING 1

TechGranaryT02 tells that it's in Diplomacy branch, and food production building. Everyone can have it if they have trait which enables food producing buildings (aka granarys).

Don't go to change %TechGranaryT02Title these, these are just pointers then.

FOOD STORAGE BUILDING 1

Just as Pleasure said, you can have my (priority two) expertise for concept designs. Also, I can do some coding so you could assign the more tiresome, repetitive work to me so I get coding experience and you can focus on the harder bits.

I will see what I can do with this, problem is that I tend to edit quite many files and I usually work quite "quickly" (good old misunderstanding, people in WoW did thought that I'm fast leveler where in reality I just played a lot) and do countless changes per day. To ask/demand/give others jobs in this project xml coding would mean that I would set my timetable to meet theirs.

I could in theory do this with races and make seperate files for each race offensive modules, weapons, ships, defensive modules, planetary buildings, system buildings, empire "buildings" and so on. This just takes some time to implement that kind of system.

aha! I knew you had special powers. My nephew has a mild autism as well, and I swear I can feel that he is about 100 miles ahead of everyone else, he does not talk much or can't describe things well, he is only 7 by the way, but his response time is amazing.

I know the feeling. As an elementary schooler, I got an honorable mention (score in the 10th percentile or so) on a voluntary test in which more participants were high-schoolers. Unlike you however, my specialties are language comprehension and spatial reasoning, but I also have quite the knack for science and math. Not to brag, but I was my teacher's second choice for the school-wide math award and I often corrected my science teacher on subjects large and small.

It's not that easy really...

Imagine if you would have important conference or meeting and you would really have to be there. You go to room, notice that there is multiple persons, they would talk with each other and several would come to say hello. Normal person wouldn't have any problems at all. For me, last time I had to leave situation and apologize for not having that speech what I should have hold. (Funny that I on the otherhand don't have any kind of problems to speak with multiple persons... it's just that if I can't control situation I need to leave it)

This explains why I am not participating to that game conference whats in next weekend... I just can't.

Or that there would be Santa Claus or Clown in market, normal person could probably ignore it or something similar... I need to avoid going to that building completly, mostly because I get feeling that I can't control situation.

Another thing is that I have always been really bad with tests which tests your knowledge of different things.

This is because when one asks for me: "what does x mean?" I stop thinking what person wanted to do with that question and usually ask to completly different question. Funny that in maths it works completly different, I tend to skip completly explantions, use sometimes my own markings and then just tell correct answer.

Of course it's not only annoyance to have such a disorder, I can set goals to myself what "normal" people wouldn't without realizing that those goals are too high and then try to accomplish those.

Or I can pass Intelligence or Math tests without any problems (funny thing was that in army I passed intelligence test but I didn't pass mentality test smiley: smile .

Or that I can understand code "better" than those who have same experience with that code than I do.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 6:34:56 AM
Hupailija wrote:
TechGranaryT02 tells that it's in Diplomacy branch, and food production building. Everyone can have it if they have trait which enables food producing buildings (aka granarys).

Don't go to change %TechGranaryT02Title these, these are just pointers then.

FOOD STORAGE BUILDING 1

That wasn't really my question.

I wanted to know if I have to change "FOOD STORAGE BUILDING 1" into (for example) "INTELLIGENT WAREHOUSE" and describe this one with "Here the harvests are separated by the blablabla"

Because I'll have several hours without internet this afternoon and I want to do as much translation as I can.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 6:35:08 AM
I'm fairly sure that you have done Babylon 5 and are in your next project before I reach to point where I could think about adding own graphics.

I dont think so smiley: wink . We are soo far away from release. We are lacking personell, lacking moddingable grphics and models... and so on ...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 1:35:39 PM
Epimethee wrote:
That wasn't really my question.

I wanted to know if I have to change "FOOD STORAGE BUILDING 1" into (for example) "INTELLIGENT WAREHOUSE" and describe this one with "Here the harvests are separated by the blablabla"

Because I'll have several hours without internet this afternoon and I want to do as much translation as I can.

Oh you have completly freehands with all those... anything written with capitals (aka something what I never would do) is free area.. as is descriptions too.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 4:03:04 PM
Unless I manage to pull out somekind of miracle there won't be new version today...

I basically have to create and balance 65 different weapons and 64 different defense systems before I can release next one.

Thankfully that also means that I can at the same time balance Swarm ships.

After that rest of the races are easy:

after all it's just 7*161 different "modules"... and after that I can release 0.1 version. It's good that I set good goals smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 5:18:44 PM
I've been scanning through the Terran warfare technology tree and adding tech names & descriptions; this also entailed setting module names (because, for example, TechG01 and kinetic weapon 2 / antimissile 1 are/should be related).

Don't have any examples on my work PC. Real-life tech levels are probably lower than the ones in the stock game due to my limited knowledge of particle physics smiley: wink. I'd say I'm around halfway done with this tree; I'll aim to finish by late tonight and send 'em up so you can see if you like it or not.

Edit: My aim for differentiating Terran and Sower kinetic weapons was to have Terran weapons be relatively crude, futuristic but conventional, and rely on brute force; Sowers would use ever more sophisticated gauss/magnetic technologies to throw projectiles. Terran K1 is caseless chaingun, K2 is EFP chaingun, M1 is fusion-pumped rocket, M2 is dirty fusion rocket just off the top of my head. Whereas Sowers would be something like (haven't written it yet) K1 capacitated railgun, K2 supercooled monorailgun, K3 integrated helical-rail driver, M1 launch-boosted missiles, M2 capacitated ionic missiles, etc.

Sower: If we increase our computational accuracy and power generation, we can drive a 5g projectile at 0.00003c with an optimum hit probability.

Terran: Bolt five 90mm autocannons to the hull and try not to get killed.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 5:58:54 PM
Interesting,

I have always thought Sowers as a robots, master manufacturers... as in for them quantity would be all about everything.

Their technology in weapons wouldn't really be highly developed due to their ability to produce billions over billions kinetic weapons and bullets.

As a Terran, I have felt that they use advanced human techonology (as in what we have right now but brought to hundreds years to future) meaning different kind of missiles (atleast right now we kinda rely to missiles when it comes to bombarding) and cannons.

Actually Terran and Sowers are good comparision... both rely heavily to easily understandable and usable particles what can be fired efficiently. Difference is that we Terrans use more smart weapons and systems mostly because for us each person is unique and valuable resource. Where as for Sowers (I'm not sure how robots they actually are) there really isn't persons.

Oh well, I have fun with Swarm weapon systems... I have so far made Pulselasers, Heavy damaging single shot lasers with long reachtotarget value. Now if I just add to them 2 Normal Lasers and Normal Kinetic weapons, I am quite close to what I try to do with them. (ok, I am lazy but thats not probably miracle.. I still promise that each race has 32 race specific weapons)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 6:30:56 PM
Hupailija wrote:
Interesting,

I have always thought Sowers as a robots, master manufacturers... as in for them quantity would be all about everything.

Their technology in weapons wouldn't really be highly developed due to their ability to produce billions over billions kinetic weapons and bullets.

As a Terran, I have felt that they use advanced human techonology (as in what we have right now but brought to hundreds years to future) meaning different kind of missiles (atleast right now we kinda rely to missiles when it comes to bombarding) and cannons.

Actually Terran and Sowers are good comparision... both rely heavily to easily understandable and usable particles what can be fired efficiently. Difference is that we Terrans use more smart weapons and systems mostly because for us each person is unique and valuable resource. Where as for Sowers (I'm not sure how robots they actually are) there really isn't persons.

I was going off what you said about Terrans using big, inefficient, slave-crewed ships built by the lowest bidder; I figured that the Sowers, as robots, would be more focused on precision and efficiency. It's difficult to imagine technology 3000 years in the future so I've been using 2100 as my "mental model". Right now I have a rough Terran kinetic weapon progression:

EDIT: Reworking

This is your project, and I want to respect your vision for the various factions. If you can give me some guidance about, say, the late-game tech you want the Terrans vs. Sowers to use (since you're doing different tech trees per faction) I can better match what you have in mind.

Edit: It's sounding like you might want the Terran and Sower weapons reversed - giving Sowers mass-produced conventional guns and cheap/dirty radiation, and Terrans use all sorts of sexy railguns, gauss cannons, depleted neutrino Higgs devices or whatever. (Sophons get photogravitational lensing beams, RTG-pumped masers [radiothermalpowermicrowave-banddeathrays], quantized antimatter beams - Star Trek pseudoscience stuff)

Any idea on the Hissho? Edit: Powerful but slow-moving plasma/antimatter beam weapons and missiles? Martial stuff.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 7:29:28 PM
Uhm, lets start with how optimal ship is build:

We first have hull, this can be either: (notice these are tech 1 ships, later tech ships are way more powerful)

a) Fighter, carries maybe 1-2 weapons, some fighter shield and engine.. not really anything else. These takes (if it's possible) 0.5 command points and can be build masses.. these though destroys on masses too (as in they have pitiful amount of health and lacks almost any kind of armors/shields)

b) Small Ship, carries 2 fighter class weapons or 1 small weapon, either 2 fighter shields or 1 small shield and engine, can switch weapons to one weak fleet support module. These costs more to build, requires more tech to research and takes more command points. Still these are fairly cheap to build ... most likely will be most common middle game ship.

c) Medium Ship, carries 1 medium weapon (or 2 small weapons or 4 fighter weapons), 1 medium shield/2 small shields/full arsenal of fighter shields and engine, has enough space for medium class modules. Middle game powerhouse, costs medium amount, requires more tech to research, takes even more command points.

d) Large Ship, carries 1 large weapon (or 2 medium, 4 small, 8 fighter.. you get the point), 1 large shield and engine. End game superstar, only beated by other Large ships (and capitalships but capitalships are completly other topic). Costs loads to build, can have just couple in fleet and takes lot to research.

e) Capital Ship, can hold 10 large weapons or 1 ultimate weapon, 10 large shields and so on... this costs loads to build, is packed with stuff what makes even large ships looks like fighters, is nearly destroyable BUT you can have just 1 in fleet and it comes with huge penalties. If you can build this ship you can destroy almost everyother ship. It just costs 10 000 production to build and takes 10 command point slots. Then again these have 5000+ health and 1000+ cargo hold.

Now Weapon types:

a) Fighter Weapon, takes 10 space from ship costs 5-20 production to add to ship, these really don't do much. Mostly used to take down other fighter class ships.

b) Small Weapon, takes 20 space from ship costs 10-40 production to add to ship, these are deadly against fighters, against other ships, not that much

c) Medium Weapon, takes 40 space from ship costs 20 -120, does quite a lot, has mediocre to good stats

d) Large Weapon, takes 80 space from ship, costs 40-240, does huge amount of damage, penetrates most shields

Now different weapon types: (I am open for ideas here)

Beam weapons:

Pulse , fires multiple pulses from weapon systems, each pulse does low amount of damage but counted together these do loads. To defend against these, defenders need to use absorbtion shields.

Slow but damaging beam , fires single slowly moving pulse which deals load of damage if it hits to target, think this as a missile made by plasma. To defend one has to use accuracy reducing defence.

Invisible , fires every turn 1 pulse, beam invisible, this is normal weapon. To defend one uses absorbtion shields.

Kinetic Weapons:

Minigun, our weapon right now, fires multiple small projectiles towards enemy. To defend against this one uses absorb (I prefer absorb over what there is now, mostly because I am afraid how what we have now affects to single weapons)

Cannon, fires one giant projectile towards enemy, deals loads of damage but arrives to target slowly. To defend against this one reduces accuracy.

Missile:

Rocket: fires huge amount of missiles towards target, these do small amount of damage and are anything but accurate.

Missile: what we have now, huge damage, slow accuracy.

Intelligent Missile: what people have asked, huge accuracy, slow damage.

Missiles takes 2-3 turn to arrive to target, Kinetic Weapons will take 1-2 turns, Beam is instant unless it happens to say otherwise.

Every weapon will have InterceptionEvasion value

Every defence module will have Absorb and InterceptionAccuracy. Depending of Module one of these is superior to other.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 7:33:47 PM
After that I am going through races I have decided so far:

Swarm: Beam expert also uses ordnances. Their unique weapons are pulse like weapons and slowly moving damaging beam, both being superior to others. They also get normal kinetics and normal beam.

Sophon: Beam expert uses missiles too. Their unique weapons are super fast pulse and invisible damaging pulse. They also get normal kinetics and missiles.

Pilgrim: Missile expert has beam weapons too. Their unique weapons are Intelligent Missiles and Missiles. They also get normal missiles and normal beams.

Anything else besides those 3 are still bit in shroud.

Race weapons are 1.5 times as effecient as other weapons (damage and accuracy wise) but also costs 1,5 times as much.

Oh do notice that to add 1 weapon you actually have to add 4. (thats why I start with just adding 4 different type of each weapon smiley: smile

I will add packages for races as soon as I have finished Swarm... I just need to do 1 first.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 7:42:15 PM
This is your project, and I want to respect your vision for the various factions. If you can give me some guidance about, say, the late-game tech you want the Terrans vs. Sowers to use (since you're doing different tech trees per faction) I can better match what you have in mind.

I know that there is modders to whom this is guideline... for me it's almost like a redflag.

I always try to listen others and my motto is: "If player wants to play game with x rules, who am I to deny it?"... sadly I don't that often get people to suggest their ideas :/ ... think that it was Igncom1 or Iblise who ones said that it's mostly because it's hard to suggest things to me since no one really knows what I am doing or what is possible :P
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 8:57:39 PM
The Horatio could focus of smaller but rapid firing weapons, with the intent of filling the sky with ordinance, making them effective at grinding down an opponent but also making them struggle against a single super strong opponent?

The Hissho could inevitably focus on the opposite, with larger single shot weapons.

With the Amoeba coming from a non-war like background, they could focus on a multitude of specialty and non-lethal weapons to support their shallow armory.

And the money hungry UE, well they could focus on the idea of single large ships giving buffs or bonuses to smaller ships.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 9:13:41 PM
The Horatio could focus of smaller but rapid firing weapons, with the intent of filling the sky with ordinance, making them effective at grinding down an opponent but also making them struggle against a single super strong opponent?

Oh dear, now we have 3rd race which wants this. I vote Sowers, You Horatio and thashephard suggests UE.

Whaa, *tears his hairs out and jumps out of window*, how about if I just give every race ability to fill space with junk (could even call it: "project: earth space") ? smiley: biggrin

The Hissho could inevitably focus on the opposite, with larger single shot weapons.

Uhm, are you sure about this? As I see Hissho they are fast, they are cunning, they are master pilots. They attack quickly and aims their shots well.

Then again bushido does remembers one of Samurais and Samurais remembers one of heavily armored warriors who aims to end fight quickly. (by using outdated weapons and dying stupidly)

With the Amoeba coming from a non-war like background, they could focus on a multitude of specialty and non-lethal weapons to support their shallow armory.

This actually is something what I am not going to touch smiley: smile

And the money hungry UE, well they could focus on the idea of single large ships giving buffs or bonuses to smaller ships.

It could work.. as in large ships would have fleet bonuses and their race specific modules would have mostly fleet bonuses but would be big.

It actually would remind a bit about how Scifi presents those spacefights, one stardestroyer and several tiefighters against calimari capital ship and dozens of x-wings.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 10:39:53 PM
Hupailija wrote:
I know that there is modders to whom this is guideline... for me it's almost like a redflag.

I always try to listen others and my motto is: "If player wants to play game with x rules, who am I to deny it?"... sadly I don't that often get people to suggest their ideas :/ ... think that it was Igncom1 or Iblise who ones said that it's mostly because it's hard to suggest things to me since no one really knows what I am doing or what is possible :P

I think I'm gonna like working with you! smiley: smile In design discussions at work, I believe in Darwinian idea selection - everyone puts forth their plan, and you shoot holes in them until only the strongest survives lol. I just didn't want to come in too "strong" since this was your project & your idea and you only just heard from me today. Check your inbox, btw.

I'm actually not too worried about which race 'gets' which weapon - to me, the interesting part right now is developing an interesting tech progression. So the "Terran", "Sophon", and "Sower" weapon lists I posted earlier could be switched to whatever race - it would still be cohesive. I think switching what I have for Terran and Sower works pretty well. Having said that, I think the Sophon weapons work pretty well as is smiley: smile.

I was thinking about plasma & antimatter based technology for the Hissho. Whenever their ships attack, the Klingon music plays in my head (0:15 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58wJRrvVgZI). Beam weapons that travel slowly but hit HARD (I doubt honorable warriors would use too many missiles).

What do you mean about each weapon is 4 weapons? Are you going to ape vanilla ES and have mainly generic weapons, with several unique weapons per race? If you can give me numbers - like 8 generic Kinetic, 4 Terran, 4 Sowers - that'll help. The the categories for weapons you mentioned make sense to me and I think I can apply them cleanly to what I wrote - I'll edit the post.

Skype is maalioto; I'll be on for the next few hours.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 10:55:38 PM
Hupailija wrote:
Oh dear, now we have 3rd race which wants this. I vote Sowers, You Horatio and thashephard suggests UE.

Whaa, *tears his hairs out and jumps out of window*, how about if I just give every race ability to fill space with junk (could even call it: "project: earth space") ? smiley: biggrin

XD well it is you mod, feel free to decide for me. smiley: wink

Uhm, are you sure about this? As I see Hissho they are fast, they are cunning, they are master pilots. They attack quickly and aims their shots well.

Then again bushido does remembers one of Samurais and Samurais remembers one of heavily armored warriors who aims to end fight quickly. (by using outdated weapons and dying stupidly)

Well a race with fast ships need the ability to finish an opponent quickly! The slow blade penetrates the shield.

This actually is something what I am not going to touch smiley: smile

Wow, ha ha!

It could work.. as in large ships would have fleet bonuses and their race specific modules would have mostly fleet bonuses but would be big.

It actually would remind a bit about how Scifi presents those spacefights, one stardestroyer and several tiefighters against calimari capital ship and dozens of x-wings.

If its too much work for you, I am sure there is a....well, better modder who I could pass the challenge too....smiley: sarcastic
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 17, 2012, 2:57:41 AM
I added WeaponModuleKinetic[1-8][Terran,Sower,Sophon] to WeaponModules.xml with callouts to new localizations I created. Tried to update the weapons to sort of match your descriptions - swapped Terran and Sower, stuck to four different "types" per racial weapon tree. Stuck to a few core technologies per race with an eye towards creating the "North" quadrant of the tech tree. Check out the attached files - you know what to do with 'em.
WeaponModules.zip
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 17, 2012, 4:28:57 AM
thashepherd wrote:
I added WeaponModuleKinetic[1-8][Terran,Sower,Sophon] to WeaponModules.xml with callouts to new localizations I created. Tried to update the weapons to sort of match your descriptions - swapped Terran and Sower, stuck to four different "types" per racial weapon tree. Stuck to a few core technologies per race with an eye towards creating the "North" quadrant of the tech tree. Check out the attached files - you know what to do with 'em.

Need to look it, for a quick glance if I take this to mod I need to time all weapons to 4 times, adjust new values for damage, weight and price and change loads of other things smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 17, 2012, 5:36:16 AM
Hupailija wrote:
It's not that easy really...

Imagine if you would have important conference or meeting and you would really have to be there. You go to room, notice that there is multiple persons, they would talk with each other and several would come to say hello. Normal person wouldn't have any problems at all. For me, last time I had to leave situation and apologize for not having that speech what I should have hold. (Funny that I on the otherhand don't have any kind of problems to speak with multiple persons... it's just that if I can't control situation I need to leave it)
I think you may have misunderstood me. I didn't mean that I simply was good at some subjects and bad at others, I meant I suffer from the same problems as you. My friend count (yes I keep track of my number of friends as well as pretty much anything quantifiable), has never really gone above five and I'm a complete social outcast. I can make myself seem perfectly normal and it does fool most people, but it never really works fully and deep down everyone thinks there's something wrong with me. It's not hard for me to notice that no one really likes me and when I ask them why, they just say they don't like me as a person for no specific reason.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment