Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

What is your favourite Endless Space mod?

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Aug 11, 2013, 6:22:07 PM
Klaus wrote:
Is there an easy way to compare different versions of a file?

You can use a three-way merge tool to compare the files. You need to keep a copy of the unmodified data files from the starting game version to use as a reference. It may or may not be possible to acquire them at this point given steam auto-updates, though.

Given that you have three sets of files "ES version 1 stock", "ES version 2 stock" and "MyMod version 1", you can identify all changes that were made between ES 1 and ES 2 for each file of interest, and merge them into the MyMod files. In a three way merge tool, you would open these three files and do the merge:

1) basefile.xml from "ES version 1 stock"

2) basefile.xml from "MyMod version 1"

3) basefile.xml from "ES version 2 stock"

You may need to tweak the order of files in each pane to make all of the visual cues in the tool make sense. The tool will show you all the changes that the mod made between (1) and (2) in one pane, and also the changes in the patch made by the game dev between (1) and (3). Its then up to you to figure out how to merge both sets of changes into a new "MyMod version 2" file such that you get an upgraded mod that contains all the changes from the game patch.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 11, 2013, 6:25:01 AM
vechnii wrote:
Despite the fact that (some) of the mods on moddb are vaporware, non of the modes on this forum can be downloaded by new accounts. So you're screwed either way.

...According to whom?
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 10, 2013, 3:48:33 PM
I can save people a little bit of time when hunting for mods. All of the mods currently on moddb are vaporware, or abandonware (that is they no longer work in the current version of the game). On strategyinformer, all of the mods are abandonware. In fact, I have never uploaded my abandonware mods to strategyinformer and I was unpleasantly surprised to find them there. Also, I can state that all the mods ever mentioned in the modding forum here, are listed in the Mod Shopping Mall thread. Except that Ail has many different small mods, of which only one is listed in the thread.

So, there is no reason to look beyond the Mod Shopping Mall.

There are two mods which (to me) should obviously be included into the base game. They are popular and do not change gameplay. This is colored anomalies, and alternative galaxy generator. The standard galaxy generator is embarrassingly slow, and dagobert has made it much faster for large galaxies.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 10, 2013, 4:39:39 PM
I like my own mod the most, because it addresses exactly the same issues that I would have addressed, if I had made my own mod. smiley: ohh

Oh, and of course the mod that everyone likes, noone dislikes and everyone but the Devs thinks should be included in the game: ColouredAnomalies (which I also have included and slightly modified in my own mod)
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 10, 2013, 4:51:41 PM
Imperium Aeterna + Endless Genetics. I honestly have a hard time picturing the game without them.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 10, 2013, 6:54:01 PM
There are two mods which (to me) should obviously be included into the base game. They are popular and do not change gameplay. This is colored anomalies, and alternative galaxy generator. The standard galaxy generator is embarrassingly slow, and dagobert has made it much faster for large galaxies.

Very much in agreement there. smiley: approval
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 10, 2013, 7:50:00 PM
Kaidishart wrote:
@davea Endless Effect is very much alive which is on mod db.

The release date shown there is "TBD" which makes it difficult to distinguish from other vaporware mods. You may wish to put a post into the Mod Shopping Mall.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 10, 2013, 9:19:38 PM
The Alternative Galaxy Generator is such a doll, but personally, Crymson's playable pirates or Johnny's Sectoid mod have really made the biggest change up to me, so they get my vote.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 10, 2013, 11:12:45 PM
My favorites are Colored anomalies, Alternativ Galaxy Generator, and Imperium Aeterna by far.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 11, 2013, 6:06:53 AM
Despite the fact that (some) of the mods on moddb are vaporware, non of the modes on this forum can be downloaded by new accounts. So you're screwed either way.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 10, 2013, 2:38:30 PM
Hey everyone,

I have one simple question:

What is your favourite Endless Space mod?

I would have made a voting poll but I noticed that most of the released mods weren't in the "Mod Shopping Mall" thread made by davea.

So far, here's where you can find some Endless Space mods:

• Davea's "Mod Shopping Mall" thread smiley: approval
  • Endless Space's modDB
  • Strategy Informer
  • The modding section of these very forums. I'm worried some of the mods can get buried pretty quickly; I encourage mod creators to post their mod (advertise it!!) in davea's thread. Also, if you have any suggestion for a clearer way to list ES mods, shoot...Steam Workshop doesn't count!!

You guys dedicate a lot of your time to create those mods. smiley: approval I wouldn't mind featuring a "Mod of the week" on our social networks: this would allow more players to enjoy what you have been working on (only if you would allow me to do so, of course smiley: smile).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 11, 2013, 8:36:44 AM
Romeo wrote:
...According to whom?

I'd guess his own experience. I've heared about people having problems with downloading attachments from these forums since ever. I had them too. I've neither found out what caused them nor what caused them to go away.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 11, 2013, 12:45:58 PM
As it stands there are loads of good, but ultimately "small" (in the context of modifications like Roma Surrectum for RTW for instance), mods knocking around. Many of them have good ideas, few of them have great ideas. It all comes down to how interested you are in that particular facet of the game.

"Mod of the Week" sounds like a really good idea though.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 11, 2013, 9:21:09 PM
vechnii wrote:
Sigh. For the one millionth time, if you have trouble downloading attachments from the forum, try these steps.

1. Log out and log in again.

2. Try a different browser (firefox vs IE)

3. Clear your browser cookies

You can see from the view counts of the attachments that other people can download them, so please try these steps.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 11, 2013, 9:24:27 PM
I do like Imperium Aeterna.

And that's not just because I help contribute to it in the first place.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 15, 2013, 2:12:42 AM
Colored Anomalies is by far the most useful mod that doesn't change game play at all, well, except making it better, easier, and more convenient. It should ABSOLUTELY be part of the base game!

The Alternative Galaxy Generator is another essential add-on but, again, doesn't really change game play. This should also be part of the base game!

That said, I'm currently playing a mod that combines Imperium Aeterna, Endless Genetics, and the Alternative Galaxy Generator. Except for one or two little glitches, I like it!

I would LOVE to see more mods related to the AI. I only play single-player and on "Normal" I don't find the AI very challenging. Right now I'm playing the above mod in a 256-star galaxy with 7 AI's and at turn 60 I'm the clear leader (and was from the beginning). Next game I guess I'll try the AI on "Hard". Ideally I'd like to see the AI more aggressive (at least for aggressive races), smarter (the latest patches have helped), and less predictable. If AI tweaks are added to the base game, maybe some check-boxes to turn some of the tendencies on/off or sliders to scale certain AI characteristics. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 15, 2013, 3:25:14 AM
@ clericus, OT to this thread, but please post somewhere else with your feedback on what the AI should do to be more challenging. You can "jailbreak" a game where you are leading, and see what the AI has done wrong. Ail has a number of mods which make the AI more challenging; if you try them, do they solve the problem for you?
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment