Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[WIP] "Fair Fight" combat re-balance mod.

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Feb 8, 2013, 11:55:18 PM
Foraven can you tell me why you increase the missile number of salve instead of damage? and are you sure dicimals are working too?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 9, 2013, 1:27:38 AM
yorkgrass wrote:
Foraven can you tell me why you increase the missile number of salve instead of damage? and are you sure dicimals are working too?

Well, i feel it makes more sense that increasing power makes the missiles shoot faster rather than make them explode harder. From what i understand, the number of shots is ship wide rather than per weapon thus an increase of 20% of say 10 missiles would fire 2 extra missiles for the same amount of launchers. This need testing but it should work just fine.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 9, 2013, 1:30:49 AM
Argn, don't know why, i had 2 links on my OP rather than just the latest one. Anyway, this is fixed now.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 9, 2013, 1:53:18 AM
Foraven wrote:
Well, i feel it makes more sense that increasing power makes the missiles shoot faster rather than make them explode harder. From what i understand, the number of shots is ship wide rather than per weapon thus an increase of 20% of say 10 missiles would fire 2 extra missiles for the same amount of launchers. This need testing but it should work just fine.

I agree, I'm just not sure decimals would work. If it works I would add it into large ships, so they can be the supply ship, so they would worth something.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 9, 2013, 2:43:48 PM
My next version is almost ready. I checked the AI's this time around and attempted to improve it's designs and battlecards choices. Also asked Ail (a while ago) if i could bundle his mod with mine and he seen no problem, so i will add his files in my next upload (and make sure everything is merged properly). Will test it today before uploading it. Hopefully this will make the AI challenging...

Edit: Including the whole Ail's Rebalance mod might be a big undertaking. I guess i will just include some parts of it for now.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 9, 2013, 8:26:01 PM
Latest test i did i got owned by Pirates... Well, i poorly chose on a random event and then their fleets steamrolled my defenses and i lost several fleets trying to kick them out... My changes to the designs and card choices made the AI ships a lot more deadly (and pirates are still weaker than true AI fleets as they use only token defenses/armor and are always behind in tech). Anyway, i had the chance to test combat a lot and i'm pleased how it turned out. I think this is good for release, though i haven't merged any parts of Ail mod yet and probably will not do so for my next release (want to know what i'm getting in first).
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 9, 2013, 9:06:26 PM
yorkgrass wrote:
great can't wait. what do you think is the key change?

Mainly that the AI build better ships and fight better with them smiley: smile. Well, i guess there is no point in delaying it further, i'm wrapping it up right now.

Edit: There, 1.03 is up and ready for download. I hope you guys enjoy it smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 10, 2013, 1:05:39 AM
Foraven, In the localization file, did you only change about 4 lines? I'd like to add yours to mine, so I can play it as before. But I only find 4 difference in your localization file. i don't wan to miss anything
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 10, 2013, 2:57:02 AM
yorkgrass wrote:
Foraven, In the localization file, did you only change about 4 lines? I'd like to add yours to mine, so I can play it as before. But I only find 4 difference in your localization file. i don't wan to miss anything

I believe i haven't changed anything else; only a few Battlecards descriptions. So go ahead, add the 4 change smiley: smile.

As a side note, i realized today i messed up the weapon visuals; Lasers seem to fire like gatling guns and Missiles fire in salvos. that doesn't change the actual stats or the damage they will do, but that just make a lot of fire for just a few weapons... I will return that to normal for next version.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 10, 2013, 4:43:41 AM
While looking for things to improve, i noticed the Pirates ships localization didn't work. After some research i figured out that they forgot to set the name of each designs (ie not tie them with entries in the localisation file). Seem to me the pirates is a feature they did not finish...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 10, 2013, 8:23:19 PM
Uploaded a new version. This one fix my mistake with weapon effects (gatling lasers and spam missiles) and improved the Pirates a little bit (while not making them unbeatable).

I believe i did enough balancing the weapons for now (unless someone has some further ideas on how to balance them or convince me i did it wrong). I plan on trying to add in empire management tweaks as it does influence how each empires build it's fleets and end up fighting; poor or lagging in tech empires don't build ships worth fighting. Anyway, i hope someone find my little mod worth trying, it doesn't seem i sparked much interest so far.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 10, 2013, 8:49:18 PM
Foraven wrote:
Uploaded a new version. This one fix my mistake with weapon effects (gatling lasers and spam missiles) and improved the Pirates a little bit (while not making them unbeatable).

I believe i did enough balancing the weapons for now (unless someone has some further ideas on how to balance them or convince me i did it wrong). I plan on trying to add in empire management tweaks as it does influence how each empires build it's fleets and end up fighting; poor or lagging in tech empires don't build ships worth fighting. Anyway, i hope someone find my little mod worth trying, it doesn't seem i sparked much interest so far.

There aren't that many players of ES, and people who is interested in mods are even less, but I'm playing it, but still adjusting some settings, if I find any thing worth notice, I will let you know, and since iblise uploaded his mod, I also included his as well. I think these 2 mods will work fine together.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 11, 2013, 12:44:23 AM
You may possibly get more downloads if you advertise the mod in the "mod shopping mall" thread.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 11, 2013, 2:03:18 AM
yorkgrass wrote:
There aren't that many players of ES, and people who is interested in mods are even less, but I'm playing it, but still adjusting some settings, if I find any thing worth notice, I will let you know, and since iblise uploaded his mod, I also included his as well. I think these 2 mods will work fine together.

You are right. I also noticed there isn't any sections for mods on the steam forum either, and that's where most ES players are likely to look first.

davea wrote:
You may possibly get more downloads if you advertise the mod in the "mod shopping mall" thread.

Thanks, i'll try that.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 12, 2013, 6:15:47 AM
I'll probably try it out at the end of the week, but it looks good to me. Like I said before, engineering I think should be left at the same strengthish and just have the healing be temporary. The barrier nerf is well deserved. Not too sure why you made all weapons have the same weight.

It would probably help out kinetics a lot of there was a early kinetics weapon that used a resource, just like how early missiles can have titanium and early beams can have hyperium.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 12, 2013, 12:01:36 PM
Dementophobic wrote:
I'll probably try it out at the end of the week, but it looks good to me. Like I said before, engineering I think should be left at the same strengthish and just have the healing be temporary. The barrier nerf is well deserved. Not too sure why you made all weapons have the same weight.

Well, the change to weapon weight was due to the fact flaks could only stop 3 missiles each, thus did not increase in effectiveness like the other weapons. To keep it's effectiveness, missiles had to not increase in size, but doing so would unbalance them with the other weapons (military strength for example)... That's why i decided to just make them keep their original size. I made the healing card heal 5% and add 5% temporaily, though that only last that round. Maybe i did nerf the healing too much, i may buff it again. But i would like some feedback with the AI change first, see how much my changes improved the challenge...

It would probably help out kinetics a lot of there was a early kinetics weapon that used a resource, just like how early missiles can have titanium and early beams can have hyperium.

I didn't mess with what need a ressource or not; for sure it's quite crippling when your colonies are blocaded and you can't build your best ships (had the experience with the Pirates blocading most of my systems in one game). Anyway, i will let players try my mod before trying further changes (i also need to play a full game myself smiley: smile ).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 12, 2013, 3:14:06 PM
Hum... Tried a game with the automatons to see how the stack bonus worked and noticed the close by Horatio didn't bother to build ships or send it's colonizer... And stupidly enough, it was blocading it's own system with it's unarmed coloniser... Either i broke something in my latest version or i just ran into an oddity that has nothing to do with it. Will start another game and see if the problem persist... Maybe it's because i added an engine to it...

Edit : This sucks, i believe i will have to remove the engine or set the engines to add no military power... A colony ship with military power seem to mess the AI up, i can't leave it that way.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 12, 2013, 4:46:57 PM
Uploaded a new version (1.05) though it's mostly a fix to the colonizer acting like a combat ship. I wanted to add new things but i feel that making it works is better than adding features. Unfortunately, this fix requires a new game to take effect (sorry guys). I will work on a better workaround eventually, maybe i'll add a civilian version of engines or something, but that's rather low priority.

Hey, there is a 1.05 to download! :P
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 18, 2013, 3:11:48 PM
So, anynyone has tried my mod yet? Any comment about how it?

Well, i have tried to merge this mod with the Aggressive AI but found out that the AI performed worst with it. So for now i will wait for Ail to improve it so the AI remain competitive. Meanwhile i may adopt part of his changes as i like being able to make "tall" systems, but the AI don't do well with only per-pop bonuses as it suck managing it's population (ie moving them around were they are needed). Anyway, i just wait for some feedback before posting a new version.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment