Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[WIP] "Fair Fight" combat re-balance mod.

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
May 11, 2013, 11:54:45 AM
domein wrote:
Pirates are wiping my systems, they hit me with 2000mp fleets at turn 80 smiley: cry

They destroyed all my ships and capturing all my planets, omg

Yeah, i have to check them out again. Now they spawn with guns, but they spawn way too much as well...
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 11, 2013, 12:30:31 PM
More work for me. I am currently checking Faction traits and i realized i had not rebalanced the factions with the new trait costs. Also, some trait costs still seem way to low for their use in game (like all the research traits). So i have another pass there.
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 11, 2013, 11:39:42 PM
I made some progress re-balancing factions traits so they fill their allowed points and make the faction desirable. One thing i noticed though is just how useless diplomacy really is; basically it gives bonuses to the race that pick the traits, but give no reason to opponents to make deals with you (unless they have similar traits). This is one reason players generally don't play stock factions, especially in MP as investing in those traits makes you less competitive unless you have allies you can trust. Also, as it is currently all diplomacy does is either give you bonuses to approval or improve trade in some way, but nothing that really has anything to do with actual diplomacy. That's what bugs me right now and delay my new version...
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 12, 2013, 5:02:25 AM
Diplomacy is pointless, every other player is your enemy. Imagine if everyone would make an alliance and play space variant of sim city until completely bored - how fun is that?
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 12, 2013, 11:15:58 AM
I guess diplomacy might have a use, if you played a team game, 2v2 or 3v3?

But that sounds like hard work, better to just treat everyone as an enemy, and get on with some 4X

--Steaker--
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 12, 2013, 3:21:43 PM
Made some progress with my mod. I'm currently trying out a new system for approval; planet's approval is divided by how many colonies you have in system. This mean only the first planet colonized gets full bonus/malus from approval, then it's dilluted between all the colonies. The goal of this is to make it easier to manage for the AI as it's not smart enough to pick planets like a human player would. The other is we are less screwed from having a large system; if we colonize a "bad" planet we don't bring down the whole system as much. Seem to work well so far. I may return stock approval ratings to FF since this new fix works much better.

Also, i'm reworking my AI code to pick planets when colonizing; it had some flaws in it and i suspect it wasn't working. Used new tricks i found while making the Approval division works only on planets (ie not divide colonization dissaproval and such). If i make this work, the AI competiveness will increase a lot.
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 12, 2013, 3:26:52 PM
Steaker wrote:
I guess diplomacy might have a use, if you played a team game, 2v2 or 3v3?

But that sounds like hard work, better to just treat everyone as an enemy, and get on with some 4X

--Steaker--

I could create diplomatic stance traits (0 cost) that affect your empire depending on how you deal with other empires. Like give a small bonus to Approval, research, dust depending if you remain neutral, make friends, enter alliance, make cooperation treaties etc... Kind like the "naive" trait, but in less OP (remind me i will rework it along the way). It's sad i can't make any trait that affect whoever make traties with you (in good or bad way).

Edit: I would set it to Zero cost because i don't want it to be something to add or remove to make more room for other traits; you pick one and live with the results.
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 12, 2013, 4:41:40 PM
smiley: twisted My evil me is cooking something good about diplomacy smiley: twisted. Something to make players consider it even in MP. smiley: draw
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 13, 2013, 3:10:46 AM
Greyborea wrote:
Keep up the good work Foraven, I am having tons of fun with 1.33 so far smiley: stickouttongueower:

That's great to read smiley: approval. Hopefully, 1.34 will be even better (if i don't mess anything up :sweatsmiley: smile.
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 13, 2013, 2:51:44 PM
Here a glimpse of the work i'm doing on diplomacy traits:

Diplomat Trait

Your faction prefer resolving conflicts with words rather than arms. Your population hate conflicts but likes to trade and share ideas, and is quite tolerant to outside influence.

Expansionist Trait

Your faction focus on expanding it's borders for it's ever growing population. You faction suffer less expansion disapproval, but your population hate lacking space to grow.

Isolationist Trait

Your faction prefer to remain in it's borders and keep to itself. Your population don't like to move or be subjected to new ideas, so hate wars and alliances alike. Other empires influence, friendly or otherwise disrupt your society.

Imperialist Trait

Your faction is confident in it's ideas and way to do things. Your population support it's leadership in war and peace, but tend to dislike and distrust other nations.

Warlord Trait

Your faction value glory of combat and feats of arms. Your population find joy in conflicts and will thrive during war time. Lack of conflict on other hand tend to turn their aggressivity inward and disrupt society. Population will tolerate alliances and peace so long as they have someone to war with.

Note: Eternal War will be unlocked by being a warlord first.

I'm open to suggestions for more diplomatic traits and sub traits.
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 13, 2013, 8:38:18 PM
I'm loving the sound of these additions Foraven

I don't know whether your new traits might be adversely affected by a Cease Fire bug I encountered (in the core game, not in Fair Fight)?

I was at war with the Sheredyn, then agreed to a cease fire to allow myself to concentrate on another opponent

Unfortunately, the Sheredyn ignored the cease fire, while I was not allowed to counter attack

I searched the ES forums, and it seems to be a known issue, which basically means you can't risk agreeing to cease fires

Other than that, I've been enjoying 1.33 a lot, and don't mind the massive pirate fleets, they give you a real scare and need some effort to get rid of, which is good :-)

Thanks again for all your hard work
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 17, 2013, 12:58:51 AM
Real life is intruding a lot lately so i haven't progressed much with my new version. Will try to get it done in the next few days though.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
11 years ago
May 17, 2013, 2:21:12 PM
Hister wrote:
Excellent trait ideas! If you want I can fix the text for you - just let me know.

Once i'm done with them i'll let you have a go with the text.
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 18, 2013, 2:02:36 PM
Foraven wrote:
Once i'm done with them i'll let you have a go with the text.
Good, that would be a smart thing to do! smiley: wink
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 22, 2013, 2:19:42 AM
I did some progress today, but i'm not done yet. Damn Real Life (tm) intrude too much lately, and the rest of the time i'm too tired for modding. Anyway, i will eventually get it done, just not at my usual pace...
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 23, 2013, 1:18:34 PM
There will be some further delay i'm affraid. Endless Space has been removed from my steam account until i deal with an issue with Steam. That mean i can't mod until it is solved.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment