Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[WIP] "Fair Fight" combat re-balance mod.

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Jul 24, 2013, 5:49:16 PM
Foraven wrote:
I'm baaaaaaaack lol. Nah, my steam account is. Soon i will have my ES back and i will be able to see how much it has changed in 2 and half months. Will have a lot to catch back...

Great!! I hope you'll give Disharmony a look as soon as you're done with updating the mod for vanilla. lol
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 24, 2013, 8:05:30 PM
Lord_S wrote:
Great!! I hope you'll give Disharmony a look as soon as you're done with updating the mod for vanilla. lol

Not sure if i will keep updating it for vanilla, but i could at least finish the last version i was working on. Disharmony will most likely be too different to port my mod to it, will have to rebuild it from scratch.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 27, 2013, 2:10:08 PM
My ES (with expansion) is back and running (Thanks to Greyborea and Steph'nie), i can now mod again. Now i have to decide if i finish my last version of the mod for the vanilla version of the game or start over with Disharmony right away. So, how many of you are still running the vanilla game?
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 28, 2013, 1:43:54 PM
Alright guys, this morning i'm updating my old mod to the current vanilla version and completing what i have left unfinished. With some luck i may be done today or tomorrow. After that i will look at the expansion and see how much of my mod i can port to it.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 29, 2013, 4:16:18 AM
Grrrr. Been working on it today and i've run on unexpected errors. Several times i ran into an error popup while testing the mod and i have yet to figure out what is causing it. Either i missed somthing while merging or it's a leftover from my modding of 2 1/2 months ago. Either way it will take me some time to squash that bug smiley: frown.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 29, 2013, 7:42:39 AM
This mod looks awesome, I just started playing the game, but from what I understand this mod doesn't support disharmony yet?

Now you seems like you know what you are doing, but this might help you: make a different save after a few changes and use notepad++, with dual view and compare tools I have found it to be very use for trying to narrow down issues. Being able to compare a changes to older stable version helped in trying to mod other games.

At least in normal disharmony the balance of game seems very questionable. Mostly that most anything aside from a one CP ship seems generally worthless.

Keep up the good work.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 29, 2013, 9:45:44 AM
eleteguard wrote:
This mod looks awesome, I just started playing the game, but from what I understand this mod doesn't support disharmony yet?

No support yet as i haven't even played a game of Disharmony (only got back my ES recently). The changes in the expansion are extensive so i will probably have to redo the mod almost from scratch.

Now you seems like you know what you are doing, but this might help you: make a different save after a few changes and use notepad++, with dual view and compare tools I have found it to be very use for trying to narrow down issues. Being able to compare a changes to older stable version helped in trying to mod other games.

Thanks for the tip. Don't think it will be of much use right now though as the bugs are due to the merge with the current version; my mod is seriously outdated and much has changed since...

At least in normal disharmony the balance of game seems very questionable. Mostly that most anything aside from a one CP ship seems generally worthless.

Keep up the good work.

I'll get to it soon enough, never fear smiley: draw.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 29, 2013, 11:16:32 AM
Hum... Seem something that has been changed since my last update is causing my troubles. My mod crashes after few turns poping me this :

[CODE]NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at DepartmentOfScience.ComputeMaxStarSystemImprovementCount (.StarSystem starSystem) [0x00000] in :0

at DepartmentOfIndustry.EndTurn (Int32 pass) [0x00000] in :0

at Empire+c__Iterator86.MoveNext () [0x00000] in :0

at Coroutine.Run () [0x00000] in :0

at GameState_EndTurn.Run () [0x00000] in :0

at FiniteStateMachine.Update () [0x00000] in :0

at ApplicationState_InGame.Run () [0x00000] in :0

at FiniteStateMachine.Update () [0x00000] in :0

at Application.Update () [0x00000] in :0[/CODE]

Ran the previous version of the mod and the same crash happen, so something is missing in my mod that wasn't needed before. Would be nice to know what is it is...
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 29, 2013, 2:55:52 PM
The question becomes is it faster to start from scratch or find the missing lines? I don't know how interwoven your mod files are, and if this would even work, replace a file with the default one and see if that fixes the issue. Might help narrow down which xml its in.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 29, 2013, 10:21:57 PM
Those text look like they refer to the "Registry.xml" file. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that's where the error is.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 29, 2013, 11:30:38 PM
eleteguard wrote:
The question becomes is it faster to start from scratch or find the missing lines? I don't know how interwoven your mod files are, and if this would even work, replace a file with the default one and see if that fixes the issue. Might help narrow down which xml its in.

Yeah, i did somthing like that before and i do think it could work to some extent with this mod. The mod is way too large to start over though, figuring out the bug will be faster than rebuilding the mod and creating new bugs along the way...
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 30, 2013, 2:05:29 AM
Depending on how many things are missing it might be faster to test swap using a fresh copy of data files and injecting your modified ones. Anyhow, good luck hope you fix it.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 30, 2013, 2:20:32 AM
eleteguard wrote:
Depending on how many things are missing it might be faster to test swap using a fresh copy of data files and injecting your modified ones. Anyhow, good luck hope you fix it.

Well, for now i'm double checking the merge to see if i missed something, and so far i found a few things. However i think it's quite likely it has something to do with the governors when they try to sort up what they can build...
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 31, 2013, 5:55:04 PM
Not much to report, i'm still trying to find what is wrong. I suspect the problem isn't from my code but from the patch itself as other have reported similar errors without having modded the game. I will still try to isolate the bug, but odds are great the problem can only be solved by the devs...
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 1, 2013, 2:13:32 AM
I just can't figure it out, i'm about to give it up smiley: frown. The error makes no sense, i can't find anything wrong with my mod, and swapping files so far didn't fix the problem either. I'm going to need outside help on this. If anyone is willing to try, i will post a link to my current build.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 1, 2013, 3:53:16 AM
This may seem silly but have you made sure the game still runs right without the mod? You said your self that people have reported problems with the normal game as well. If the files your merging with are not working to begin with your not going to get very far with the mod...
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 1, 2013, 8:59:52 AM
eleteguard wrote:
This may seem silly but have you made sure the game still runs right without the mod? You said your self that people have reported problems with the normal game as well. If the files your merging with are not working to begin with your not going to get very far with the mod...

This is not silly, you are right; i should have made sure the game was working properly before merging anything. I guess i should wait the next update.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 1, 2013, 3:40:20 PM
Hahaha... I don't know much about modding this game, but it is the simple things in modding that can trip up a person so horribly. Now there is waiting for the new patch that must happen.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment