Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[WIP] "Fair Fight" combat re-balance mod.

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Aug 20, 2013, 8:42:43 PM
Have a breather, and see if you fancy coming back to it later.

As you say, probably better to let the expansion settle before trying to mod it

I've tried various game developments over the years, and motivation is certainly crucial, and does ebb and flow depending what else is going on in your life. Thanks for all the earlier versions that I really enjoyed, were a big improvement to the vanilla game
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 26, 2013, 4:47:07 AM
Cypherseven wrote:
Really looking forward to an updated disharmony version!

smiley: smile

It's very likely i will have to rebuild the mod from the ground up; lots of things are changed in the EXP and some of my changes may conflict (tech tree) or not work with it (like my elite modules). I may have to drop some features...

When i get to it, i will probably include features progressively.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 27, 2013, 10:24:36 PM
Hister wrote:
Yeah, what all expansions usually do is fu** up modder's lives! smiley: wink

Ha ha,yeah. Well, it's not that bad, i remember games i modded where every patches were likely to screw mods. It's relatively easy to maintain ES mods from patch to patch.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 8, 2013, 7:55:47 PM
Playing Disharmony so I can't say...but Disharmony could really use your help! The combat is really a mess imo.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 11, 2013, 7:37:07 PM
Kolaris wrote:
Playing Disharmony so I can't say...but Disharmony could really use your help! The combat is really a mess imo.

Well, if you could list me what i should look into, i might be able to mod something for it. Porting Fair Fight as it is might be too much work (in one go), but i could start a new mod and include features of FF over time. I haven't played the EXP much, i'm not too aware of all it's flaws yet. For sure the game seem to run slower than it used to be (especially in combat), that's one reason i lost my enthusiasm for modding it. But i guess it's time i revisit it and get back my motivation for it.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 11, 2013, 8:00:28 PM
My main concern is that Meedoc seemed to think it's a good idea to make weapons a hell to compare.

"Let's give everything a different tonnage. Let's give different numbers of salvos, an shots to everything so the damage-numbers are not compareable either. Then let every defense-type have a different efficiency. Oh and let's give all of them different tonnages too! Let's keep MP as it was before, so the 4 tonnage-low-damage-weapon has the same MP as the 12 tonnage-high-impact-weapon so everyone get's totally confused!"

Really, I want to make educated decisions. But the way I design ships in Disharmony is getting led by what I feel, not by what I know or can easily calculate.

The balancing feels better in the meanwhile but the complexity and circumstance of how hard this stuff is to compare make it almost impossible to really comment on the balancing. It's almost like the complexity is there to hide the probably still pretty bad balancing.

In GalCiv 2 every weapon- and defense-type worked exaclty the same. It wasn't exactly exciting to design ships there but at least I kinda knew what to expect from them.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 12, 2013, 9:15:30 PM
I'd agree with Ail, the expansion seems to contain some nice ideas, but also a lot of somewhat unnecessary complexity

I think the tech tree is better structured, and I like the idea of Fighters and Bombers

AI still seems pretty weak, and keeps getting stuck

A mod to make weapon stats/balance a little more intuitive, and perhaps help the AI to make decent progress, would be a good start
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 14, 2013, 9:28:06 PM
I tried your mod and liked what it did very much. I found three bugs though:

- You seem to have created some additional heroes, and at least some of them are bugged. I had a clone of builder that could not get all the advancements he should (and still has the flavor text of his original). Perhaps you should remove the extra cloned heroes until you have time to fix them all (and ideally give them new pics, because its very irritating to have two guys with the same picture). I do not think the game needs more heroes, just more useful abilities for adventurers and commanders.

- Ship part tooltips are slightly broken - they show the variable name instead of its content in those "xxx per yyy" lines.

- Trade routes calculation seems to be broken somehow. I got faaaar too much in my testgame, multiple hundreds of dust and science per route. I could move my economy slider to 0% and make thousands every turn anyways. I like that trade routes are impactful, but too much is too much. Btw, is there any way to change AI behaviour or trade settings so it is actually possible to use trade routes before all systems are grabbed? Because the moment you open your borders, they grab "your" backyard worlds, making "no treaties ever" the only viable strategy for the first 100 turns or so.

PS: You should perhaps make a comment about the no music thingy in your main post here, I only saw how to fix that because I checked the readme for a contact adress of yours or something :-)
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 15, 2013, 4:28:04 PM
stormfox wrote:
I tried your mod and liked what it did very much. I found three bugs though:

- You seem to have created some additional heroes, and at least some of them are bugged. I had a clone of builder that could not get all the advancements he should (and still has the flavor text of his original). Perhaps you should remove the extra cloned heroes until you have time to fix them all (and ideally give them new pics, because its very irritating to have two guys with the same picture). I do not think the game needs more heroes, just more useful abilities for adventurers and commanders.

Hum, i did not add any new heroes. Haven't run into that problem yet, maybe it's something introduced in the last few patches. For now i have no idea how to fix this, will have to check.

Edit: It's possible the heroes that don't work come from the addons or Emperor version.

- Ship part tooltips are slightly broken - they show the variable name instead of its content in those "xxx per yyy" lines.

Most likely i forgot to add them to the localisation, will fix that.

- Trade routes calculation seems to be broken somehow. I got faaaar too much in my testgame, multiple hundreds of dust and science per route. I could move my economy slider to 0% and make thousands every turn anyways. I like that trade routes are impactful, but too much is too much. Btw, is there any way to change AI behaviour or trade settings so it is actually possible to use trade routes before all systems are grabbed? Because the moment you open your borders, they grab "your" backyard worlds, making "no treaties ever" the only viable strategy for the first 100 turns or so.

I guess i unnerfed them a bit too much. Finding the right balance is hard, especially since you can create races that seriously boost trade. As for the AI behavior, i'm not sure how i can fix that, Ail know that part better than me.

PS: You should perhaps make a comment about the no music thingy in your main post here, I only saw how to fix that because I checked the readme for a contact adress of yours or something :-)

I had added it, but at some point i may have removed the comment from the OP by mistake. It's back now.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 15, 2013, 4:38:10 PM
Ail wrote:
My main concern is that Meedoc seemed to think it's a good idea to make weapons a hell to compare.

"Let's give everything a different tonnage. Let's give different numbers of salvos, an shots to everything so the damage-numbers are not compareable either. Then let every defense-type have a different efficiency. Oh and let's give all of them different tonnages too! Let's keep MP as it was before, so the 4 tonnage-low-damage-weapon has the same MP as the 12 tonnage-high-impact-weapon so everyone get's totally confused!"

Really, I want to make educated decisions. But the way I design ships in Disharmony is getting led by what I feel, not by what I know or can easily calculate.

The balancing feels better in the meanwhile but the complexity and circumstance of how hard this stuff is to compare make it almost impossible to really comment on the balancing. It's almost like the complexity is there to hide the probably still pretty bad balancing.

Well, that sound like what i initially did with this very mod smiley: smile. Weapons and modules in vanilla are hard to compare and sometimes you get more bang for the bucks using a lower tier version than the next in line. I can do that relatively easily, i will look into that after i fix the last few bugs left in the vanilla FF. I guess it's time i get back to modding.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 15, 2013, 6:10:56 PM
Good news, i'm actually modding! 3smiley: smile

Been a very long time i felt like doing it, but today i'm on it. I just fixed 2 long standing bugs in my mod : The anomaly reduction bug and the Support module tooltips bug. In the case of the anomaly reduction one, i can't believe i overlooked that one for so long (sorry for the people who have reported it in the past), it was a really simple one to fix (ie it was missing from the files)... The other seem to have been caused by one of the patches; the devs changed how they counted modules and i had not updated my files accordingly. Now i'm looking into other things i may have missed...

For anyone reading, now is the right time to report bugs as i'm on it and quite motivated to do it (haven't been in months, i'm on fire today :twistsmiley: smile.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 15, 2013, 7:08:29 PM
New version up: fix 2 major bugs and tweak a few things, as well as updating it to the 1.1.7 version of the game (minor changes). This version shouldn't break savegames. Enjoy!
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 15, 2013, 10:22:42 PM
Wow, seems I posted here just in time. Thanks for the quick response.

About the hero thingy: I do not have the addon. Before I tried your mod, I never experienced something like that with heroes. One was especially strange: he could level offense and defense two times each, but was denied the last upgrade and all side paths. He could not level melee until I gave him a veteran badge. Very crazy. Perhaps I am lucky and it was just a one-off glitch.

Edit: Found another one Bosun Rach - she cannot take many of the better upgrades usually associated with pilot heroes. Something seems to be broken with the pilot upgrades in general, I presume.

About the traderoutes: In said example, I had no trade bonuses from racials at all, and it was not even late game. I had the first 3 or so trade improvements and a corporate hero in those systems and that's it.

Another thing I noted is that every planet seems to have a good amount of trade routes right from the start - needlessly many imho. I never liked that in vanilla, only your home system had innate trade routes, but your variant might be going overboard.

Your abundance change seems a bit overshot, too. Yes, the vanilla 4 is too easy to achieve, but I have never, ever, had 10 of one resource (at least not when such bonuses still mattered), let alone 20! How about something like 6 or 8?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 16, 2013, 3:42:48 AM
stormfox wrote:
About the hero thingy: I do not have the addon. Before I tried your mod, I never experienced something like that with heroes. One was especially strange: he could level offense and defense two times each, but was denied the last upgrade and all side paths. He could not level melee until I gave him a veteran badge. Very crazy. Perhaps I am lucky and it was just a one-off glitch.

I think you just experienced one of the features of the mod. I did rework skills and abilities of all the hero classes, they no longer follow the vanilla tree (look at v 1.20). For example i swapped several skills between the Commander and the Pilot so they do more what we would expect (Commander improving the Fleet while Pilot improving Ships). I also purposedly limited the basic stats skills to not always level to tier 3 making some class combos better better at certain tasks than others, but also making base stats more important. I enabled lots of disabled/incomplete/missing skills i found in the files. You will also notice i changed how several skills work as well, several are now % based and improve with Hero stats; some heroes are much stronger than others because of that.

About the traderoutes: In said example, I had no trade bonuses from racials at all, and it was not even late game. I had the first 3 or so trade improvements and a corporate hero in those systems and that's it.

Another thing I noted is that every planet seems to have a good amount of trade routes right from the start - needlessly many imho. I never liked that in vanilla, only your home system had innate trade routes, but your variant might be going overboard.

I only added 1 trade route per system by default (the home system has 4 instead of 2), and it only activate when the system is full fledged. However the Corporate hero now has several trade and dust improving skills, that might be the reason why you had lots of trade. I toned how much each trade route earn in the newest version though, twice the vanilla income may have been too much combined with the extra trade routes...

Your abundance change seems a bit overshot, too. Yes, the vanilla 4 is too easy to achieve, but I have never, ever, had 10 of one resource (at least not when such bonuses still mattered), let alone 20! How about something like 6 or 8?

I did so to avoid elite ship modules to be too cheap due to the combined cost reductions. In fact i wanted to remove it completely, but settled to put it high but still reachable in large galaxies.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment