Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[WIP] "Fair Fight" combat re-balance mod.

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Mar 14, 2013, 4:30:39 AM
Aureon wrote:
Okay, merge completed.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/783175/FairFight.rar , if anyone cares - it also includes Thaix's anomaly mod.

Gotta say, you both did an incredible work.

Thanks, but i'm not done yet, noticed today there are quite a few things i overlooked in the module files (weight and cost are sometimes weird).

I'm still not completely sure about weapon balance, it really begs for further testing (was Barrier modified at all? Destroyerspam is still pretty efficient i'd say, although beams aren't what they used to be)

. I may write the combat sim, after all.

Yup, barrier has been changed (both the dust and the normal one). Destroyer spam is still good, but you'll notice they drop like flies once they meet larger ships. But i'm still tweaking stuff.

HOW DID TWO PIRATE FLEETS OF 17/17 SPAWN WITHIN MY BORDERS AT TURN 50 OH I'M GONNA DIE

Ahem.

The files that modify the pirate behaviour are? PirateDifficulty i suppose?

Yes, that's the file. I did change them though, did you not include the changes in your merge? They aren't supposed to be as much of a pain, and i also allowed them to flee so no more last stand where they slaughter half your fleet while going down.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 14, 2013, 4:43:21 AM
I'm looking through the file now, and the modifications from the "normal" file really don't explain such a spawn.

The spawn is obviously a "Crusade":

In no part of the code, though, i see anything related to the NUMBER of ships.

Two fleets is correct, but 8 war sword + 1 bolo probably isn't.

May be related to the fact that my neighbour is currently ECLIPSING me.

[code]
PercentPerPlayer="0.02"

AllowedSpawn="1"

CanMoveOnEmpire="true"

CanInvade="true"

NumberFleetPerSpawn="2"

MoveCoolDown="3"

PercentShipPerFleet="1"

TechnologyGap ="4" >

[/code]
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 14, 2013, 5:14:07 AM
Aureon wrote:
I'm looking through the file now, and the modifications from the "normal" file really don't explain such a spawn.

The spawn is obviously a "Crusade":

In no part of the code, though, i see anything related to the NUMBER of ships.

That's normal; that depend on the size of fleet and what kind of ships is put in it. PercentShipPerFleet define how much fleet point they will use (1 = 100%), and the type of ships define how many ships will fill it (ShipClassSmall2Pirates = 1 slot, ShipClassMedium1Pirates = 2). Now how large the actual fleet is depend on tech, Pirate tech scale with who they have to face.

I think that one could be of only one fleet spawn, a full crusade fleet seem more than enough to chew, two is overkill (will change that).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 14, 2013, 8:40:04 AM
I don't think they scale with who they have to face but instead with the avarage of the others. So if someone is particularly weak but the avarage is stronger, than he has a problem.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 14, 2013, 12:22:28 PM
Ail wrote:
I don't think they scale with who they have to face but instead with the avarage of the others. So if someone is particularly weak but the avarage is stronger, than he has a problem.

Yeah, that's why they are so OP. Anyway, i made further tweaks to them that should make them more balanced, or at least not spawn in numbers impossible to beat.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 14, 2013, 4:16:02 PM
Foraven wrote:
Yes, that's the file. I did change them though, did you not include the changes in your merge? They aren't supposed to be as much of a pain, and i also allowed them to flee so no more last stand where they slaughter half your fleet while going down.

This really annoyed me when I made early missile boats. I literally could not hit the pirates even once. They always retreated from my superior fire, and missiles never hit anything that retreats, so I was endlessly chasing them around my space until I could get beam weapons.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 14, 2013, 5:39:35 PM
Bridger wrote:
This really annoyed me when I made early missile boats. I literally could not hit the pirates even once. They always retreated from my superior fire, and missiles never hit anything that retreats, so I was endlessly chasing them around my space until I could get beam weapons.

The trick is to attack with a slightly less powerful fleet, you don't need overwhelming firepower if you play your cards right. You can split your fleets and attack them in multiple assaults, wearing them down.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 14, 2013, 8:24:30 PM
New version is up, lots of fixes and changes. Updated AI's personality; they now act more like their description imply : They all act and react differently and focus on different things (some will be harder to befriend or keep happy). Further balanced Pirates so they act more like pirates and not an invading fleet of doom. Made quite a few adjustments to module cost, weight and power so what they do and how effective they are is more obvious. Enjoy!

Edit: The AI should behave a lot differently than stock, all races should be able to handle it's own and become fight worthy if you push them enough. Of course the peaceful ones will still be easier to befriend, but no longer they will beg for peace even after you invaded several of their systems; even the Ameoba can go on a reprisal if you pester them too much. Anyway, we will see if it all work as intended, haven't had the time to test it in details.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 14, 2013, 10:30:09 PM
Could you tell me which files you modified, so i can update the merge more easily?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 14, 2013, 11:33:56 PM
Bridger wrote:

I actually kind of like this. it's a little more fun and challenging and they're finally behaving like pirates and raiders would behave. Pick soft targets and run from anything that would put up a fight. They're the appropriate type of nuisance now.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 15, 2013, 1:41:50 AM
Aureon wrote:
Could you tell me which files you modified, so i can update the merge more easily?

Look at the time they were modified, that will give you an idea. Sorry, i don't keep track of the files i modify, that would be a pain for me at the rate i do it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 15, 2013, 1:44:28 AM
0utlaw wrote:
I actually kind of like this. it's a little more fun and challenging and they're finally behaving like pirates and raiders would behave. Pick soft targets and run from anything that would put up a fight. They're the appropriate type of nuisance now.

Yup, though i made a twist, they will never just retreat, they always do so firing a few shots. It's sad though that the devs have disabled missile firing while retreating, it's no longer possible to hit and run with missiles, at all.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 15, 2013, 2:34:30 AM
Btw, anyone want to comment on the combat cards i added or the balance i made with them? Do you think they add to the gameplay or that they need some further balance?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 15, 2013, 5:23:38 AM
Dammit, i broke the pirates again. Made an error while "fixing" it for 1.09 and the stock pirates are again the one you are facing. Unfortunately, the log file is terrible to find those bugs, i noticed it while playing (PirateSystemConquest1 and such names are dead giveaway). So easy to make banal mistakes that are only found out after the fact. No choice, i will have to upload another stupid fix smiley: frown.

Will test it further to make sure no more bugs like that are left. The odds are high since there is a sound error in the log, though i have no idea what it is.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 15, 2013, 10:44:17 AM
Aureon wrote:

These new changes won't be mergeable with AggressiveAI. AggressiveAI shuts the normal attitude-based-diplomacy-model down completely and replaces it by a very simplicistic yet effective behaviour:

"If I have a border with someone and I am not already engaged in any wars and I have superior military I declare war." (that basically is what the Mod does)

For that I only used one attitude modifier: The one that checks for borders. So depending on how you are going to merge, one will make the others changes useless and vice versa.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 15, 2013, 11:42:13 AM
Btw.:

Here's someone doing a Let's play using your mod:

0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 15, 2013, 1:02:35 PM
Ail wrote:
Btw.:

Here's someone doing a Let's play using your mod:

I like the fact someone bothered to make a vid of my mod, though i would have liked he mentioned the difference between my mod and the stock game (new players watching this may not know). Still, thanks to Bridger for it.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment