Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

What kind of mods would you like to see in this game?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 25, 2012, 10:15:09 AM
??? wrote:
The devs seemed to have rejected most (especially the good) ideas...kinda makes me wonder why bother asking for suggestions in the first place if you're not going to accept any of the ones the community wants most.

Usually it isn't that easy and the Dev-Teams ressources are limited. There are many good ideas from the users, but there are just too many. Some of the ideas even require rewriting the gamecode, what would take just too much time - and at last: The creators have their own view of the universe, thats why they won't change everything. That's why the game is moddable: to let the fans the opportunity to change what ever they like for their own.

From the outside it is easy to judge, but you don't knwo how much work it costs to bring this game to life. Many ideas allready had been taken into account and since i bought the game 2-3 weeks ago, there have been new changes the community has asked for.

So relax. Not every idea can be put into the game, but that's why we can mod it as we like...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 25, 2012, 10:37:54 PM
Although I like so many of the various universes (StarWars, Star Trek, Babylon V, Firefly, etc..etc..) and feel they all deserve a mod for this awesome game, I'd like to see a mod/conversion situated in the Mass Effect universe.

And I'd be happy to help anyone who wants to start such a Mass Effect project. I'm not able to do 3d modelling but would be happy to help out with other work involved in the project (sound, text, 2d graphical work, etc..everything except the modelling basically).

I've done some work on various Sins of a Solar Empire mods in the past, most notably the Star Trek (sacrifice of angels) one in its early stages many years ago.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 25, 2012, 11:05:37 PM
Codename_Veers wrote:
Usually it isn't that easy and the Dev-Teams ressources are limited. There are many good ideas from the users, but there are just too many. Some of the ideas even require rewriting the gamecode, what would take just too much time - and at last: The creators have their own view of the universe, thats why they won't change everything. That's why the game is moddable: to let the fans the opportunity to change what ever they like for their own.

From the outside it is easy to judge, but you don't knwo how much work it costs to bring this game to life. Many ideas allready had been taken into account and since i bought the game 2-3 weeks ago, there have been new changes the community has asked for.

So relax. Not every idea can be put into the game, but that's why we can mod it as we like...

Actually I do know how much work, money and time it takes to make a game. So there goes that condescending platform smiley: biggrin but the thing is, they specifically asked for suggestions so they could improve the game based on how the community wanted it to be improved. But when there was a lot of community sway in one direction (like say changing cetain aspects of the battle system or adding in a pirate faction) they just outright said no. There's a whole topic on things that are frequently suggested that they just refuse for no real reason. Like I said, if you're not actually going to accept the most popular submissions unless they cater to your specific whims, what's the point in asking for community submissions at all? You're not really getting the community's opinions or ideas, you're just getting an echochamber.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 26, 2012, 4:17:20 AM
This is just false hope and i doubt anyone will do this, but have the invasion of planets turn into an rts where you control ground units
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 26, 2012, 7:11:36 AM
??? wrote:
Actually I do know how much work, money and time it takes to make a game. So there goes that condescending platform smiley: biggrin but the thing is, they specifically asked for suggestions so they could improve the game based on how the community wanted it to be improved. But when there was a lot of community sway in one direction (like say changing cetain aspects of the battle system or adding in a pirate faction) they just outright said no. There's a whole topic on things that are frequently suggested that they just refuse for no real reason. Like I said, if you're not actually going to accept the most popular submissions unless they cater to your specific whims, what's the point in asking for community submissions at all? You're not really getting the community's opinions or ideas, you're just getting an echochamber.

I think you are mistaking their comment. I am sure they meant no to playing pirates and changing the combat before release of the game. But I am certain that playing the pirate faction will be a possible thing they will look into for an expansion. And they have already said that they are looking into giving more control to the combat, maybe not before release though.

Anyway I am sure more people asked for the combat to remain as those that asked for it to be changed. And I am sure more people are far more interested in getting other things added/changed than playing the pirates. Just because they have said no to two things that you want to see doesn't mean they aren't listening.

I admire them for sticking to their guns where suggestions will alter their whole concept for the game, then they have said an outright no. That's fine, this isn't a democracy. Its them creating a game and putting all the effort into it and us offering suggestions and comments.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 26, 2012, 10:32:46 AM
??? wrote:

Yes, they asked for many suggestions and improved many of them. Right now I am playing the upgraded beta with more anomalies visuallized, and more anomalies the community suggested, retreatoption and new cards for the battle. Also a free camera will be part of the product.

There will allway be more suggestions and favorite ideas, than the Teams can manage or want to manage. Some ideas are pretty good and well liked, but perhaps it interferes with the ideas of the creators - which like a director have the last word. I cannot say what this game would have looked like, without our suggestions and wishes, but untill now i fell satisfied. smiley: smile

But let's just say they can't make any of our wishes come true. That will be the work of the modingteam to do. smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 26, 2012, 10:39:10 AM
alex433999 wrote:
This is just false hope and i doubt anyone will do this, but have the invasion of planets turn into an rts where you control ground units

That will most likely involve rewriting the game on such a scale that it will be outside the capabilities of any mod team. It would be akin to creating an entire game from scratch.

Like I said, if you're not actually going to accept the most popular submissions unless they cater to your specific whims, what's the point in asking for community submissions at all? You're not really getting the community's opinions or ideas, you're just getting an echochamber.

It's a fine line, but they can still collect and use suggestions which fit within their vision of the game and have a reasonable development time. However some suggestions made *like changing the space combat into a tactical simulator* would require so much work it would cause a six month delay to the game. Obviously they aren't going to do that.

I admire them for sticking to their guns where suggestions will alter their whole concept for the game, then they have said an outright no. That's fine, this isn't a democracy. Its them creating a game and putting all the effort into it and us offering suggestions and comments.

Indeed, I completely agree.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 27, 2012, 3:01:33 AM
i would love to see a mod that altered tech dramatically.

i always loved Masters of Orion that had only different fields of research and let you randomly got different techs so different players would have different techs that would deeply affect game play.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 3, 2012, 12:33:18 AM
Let me start by saying that I am not a mod creator of any sort. Personally, I'm a fan of the Mass Effect universe, but would not enjoy this game set in that universe. I think that a texture pack type deal would be better. Some species could be replaced easily with textures and skins of races in the ME universe. Hissho with Turians, Cravers with Rachni, etc.

I think that for just this universe though - and this might be more of a suggestion to the game than a mod, I'm not sure - but having the ability to build space stations or shipyards so that you can separate the queue in a system. Allow me to explain. As it is now, I can queue upgrades for my local economies, specific things per planet, colonization, as well as building ships. I think that a civilization with more than one planet colonized in a system would be able to focus on different things. Why is it that I am unable to have ship construction at the same time as I have economic research going? A mod that brings the addition of space ports to focus on ship building and allowing the planets to focus on the economy and colonization, in my opinion, would be a very helpful mod.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 3, 2012, 2:35:39 PM
along the side of mods id like to see a mod that allows for mp3 playlist creation and playing durring multiplayer and singleplayer. most smart people allready know how to do this but. it would be much easier if there was a mod to do it for us ^^.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 3, 2012, 10:20:19 PM
Someone please do a Mass effect mod. pLAYABLE RACES LIKE THE aSARI/kROGAN AND qUARIANS FOR EXAMPLE, ALL WITH THEIR OWN SHIPS AND CHARACTER MODELS FOR DIPLOMACY ooops capps
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 3:17:19 AM
Babylon 5 Above All!

Masseffect and Stargate tied for 2nd.

BS:Galactica third.

Ultimately the tools access to game files needed to make the above possible. I hope this game becomes THE 4x total conversion utopia, its too good of game to let that chance slip by.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 11:40:54 PM
Scenarios like in the civ games, I could just make my own factions but, that's not the same as special rules and time limits and victory conditions.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 5, 2012, 7:40:24 AM
I'm a huge fan of the grand strategy RTS games from Paradox (CKII, EU3, victoria 2 etc) and the depth they have in terms of economic, military, and political gameplay. I think the economic and militaristic part of endless space, from what I've played so far, is pretty well done! It reminds me a lot of Galciv, except you can actually use the ship editor without wasting hours of your time :P

However, the political side of gameplay is virtually non-existent. Yes there's approval rates, diplomacy and what not, but all it decides is maluses and bonuses and how much you can tax your inhabitants. In reality, the emperor usually isn't a complete totalitarian dictator, but generally has to get approval from parliament to do certain things like raise taxes, declare war, or make alliances. So, my dream mod would try to model this stuff! It would have, for example:

- Special government types for each faction that determine whether the extent of Imperial powers (absolute monarchy, republic, and all kinds of fancy sci-fi stuff!)

- Political parties that limit the amount of control or automation you have over the empire (for example, libertarians who completely automate the building of exploitations and improvements, communists who centralize all the power in the state, and everything in between!)

- Laws and decisions to enact that have effects on approval, taxation, and military power (drafts, human rights, welfare, and others!)

- Real rebellion and revolution events! Systems will fight to become independent or fight to change the government and free themselves from your tyranny!

- Other stuff that i can't think of right now!

I understand that probably none of this will be moddable, and that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I think adding this kind of political depth adds a new type of challenge to the game that makes making massive empires that last a real feat!
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 5, 2012, 4:46:27 PM
An "Absolute Sci-fi" mod. Comprised of parts of multiple sci-fi shows, games, and books that are so dear to us. The Covenant from Halo? Why not! The Reapers from Mass Effect? Toss it in there! The OTHER Reapers from Firefly? Awesome! Now toss in some Borg, Wraith, Wookie, and Goa'uld... maybe sprinkle on some crushed Ewok, and you've got yourself a mod!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 5, 2012, 8:33:40 PM
I would like to see a mod with Mass Effect races, Battlefleet Gothic. Wouldnt say no to an anime style like macross series smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 12:41:31 AM
Firefly mod. The Firefly universe is so unexplored. There could be such awesome stuff.

Farscape mod. Same with Firefly. Such A cool universe.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 2:27:54 AM
I would love to see a Moo2 mod, that game just had so much character and such diverse races to play.
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment